Sign in to follow this  
LevelMind

CAT I GA 4%

Hi,

Looking at, for example, the charts for ILS 07 in ENML, there's two different CAT I approaches. One is called CAT I GA 4% and one CAT I GA 2,5%. So, from what I understand neither of these are CAT II or autoland capable, but why is there two different CAT I approaches and what's the difference between them other than that the minimas are different?

And also, if you would want to fly the CAT I GA 4% does it have to be specifically activated like CAT II and CAT III has to be (what I mean is that CAT II/III is only operational during LVP, and I'm wondering if it's the same thing for CAT I GA 4%)?

The 2.5% and 4% are the climb gradients you are capable of for the missed approach. If you can climb at a 4% angle, then you can use the lower minimums. If you are only capable of a 2.5% climb gradient, then you have to start your go around climb from a higher minimum.

Thanks for the repsonse!

So, let's say a B737 or a Category C aircraft, what climb gradient would those be able to perform? 2,5% or 4%?