Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Flying on VATSIM is pretty cool

Being Swedish speaking I actually find it much easier understanding the European controllers despite their accent. They usually speak at a leisurely pace whereas eg a ground controller at say KJFK sounds like a machine gun spitting out the taxi instructions although you are the only airplane at the field! :D The problem then starts when I try to read back at the same speed and everything becomes jibberish!  uuummm say again?

It's all relative to where you're from and what you're used to hearing, I'm sure.   :smile:   For me, US/North American accents I can understand with no problem - even if they are fast.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Just asking myself, if it possible to do the ATC via chat not via voice. 

It is possible but to be honest, get a headset and do voice.  It's an immersion killer doing txt chat for ATC on what is essentially a network designed for voice comms - and that's ultimately what you should aim to do.  Nothing wrong with text  but its like going to a steak house and ordering the salad...

• Upvote 1

Phil,

I can ONLY speak for VATSIM (have not used IVAO).  VATSIM does allow  text for pilots without voice capabilities.  Keep in mind VOICE is strongly recommended.  I have used TEXT in emergency when mic issues arose, but I find it definitely decreases the overall excitement received from online flying. 

WAT1460.png

Phil,

I can ONLY speak for VATSIM (have not used IVAO).  VATSIM does allow  text for pilots without voice capabilities.  Keep in mind VOICE is strongly recommended.  I have used TEXT in emergency when mic issues arose, but I find it definitely decreases the overall excitement received from online flying. 

Alright thanks for the headsup

Developer          www.facebook.com/Crossfeed-Design

Phil

I fly regularly on Ivao. If  flying online scares you I recommend you get over it. Do your home work. Get manuals on phraseology, watch videos on youtube , park your plane somewhere at the airport and listen,read their forums,etc... Everyone makes mistakes but as long as you are respectful they are going to help you a lot. Honestly, nothing gets more immersive than that. Well actually it does when I use my oculus rift to fly on Ivao. Sometimes in combination with FS2crew. 

I am cabin crew for Qantas and when possible sit on the flight deck for landing at Heathrow or Dubai, put my headphones on and listen to the conversations. They are almost exactly what we do online. When I discuss with the pilots about the approach ect, they are shocked to see how much I know

By the way I would love to fly on Vatsim but the horrible, robotic voice puts me off. Maybe I should get over it and give it a go.

The more people the more fun.

Hey Greg, and all others..what program do you use to connect with VATSIM...I haven't been online for a few years and I was using  Squawkbox... What is the preferred???

Thanks, Bob

Flying online is absolutely amazing...is is amazing how close to reality it is with all procedures and phraseology....and once you have run the learning curve and you can master comunications and  procedures while flying the airplane you will no longer use the Sim without it....it is a total game changer....and forget about text ...it kills the immersion... 

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

Hey Greg, and all others..what program do you use to connect with VATSIM...I haven't been online for a few years and I was using Squawkbox... What is the preferred???

Thanks, Bob

I think vPilot is preferred and it's good...stable and nice features.  Some people still like FSINN but I could never get it to work.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hey Greg, and all others..what program do you use to connect with VATSIM...I haven't been online for a few years and I was using  Squawkbox... What is the preferred???

Thanks, Bob

Here's a great starting place for you Dutch !

https://forums.vatsim.net/viewforum.php?f=138

WAT1460.png

By the way I would love to fly on Vatsim but the horrible, robotic voice puts me off. 

I have to respectfully disagree with that. Some pilots have equipment that really makes it sound very bad but it's not the fault of Sqauwkbox (that I use). Also it's not like everything is crystal clear IRL, VERY far from at least not with the equipment I've flown. Personally I use a Flightsim X soundcard as an interface between my Dave Clark headset and the computer. The sound I then get is exactly like IRL.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Thanks, Bob

VPilot, definitely!!

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Only trouble I have with VATSIM is continuous coverage for my flights. The flyin events are actually a better way to go.

spacer.png

If you are more of a small form flyer, GA type of aircraft it seems like it's difficult to find small airports and controllers who understand that environment.

I highly recommend Boston area.

The controllers are highly a'tuned and understand very well how to work with GA type of flight.

Unlike some other controllers, who will treat you like an IFR flyer, Boston controllers embrace and study how to do it in VFR environment

Even if there is just  Boston Center Comptroller he will give you the Delta services and any other level in between.

They also embrace and celebrate small form flying, unlike some other controllers, who don't care for it at all.

I highly recommended

Happy landings

Mike

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.

Ive got over 2000 hours and counting on it. Aint slowing down :)

Thanks, Bob

Definitely , VPilot !  I use it networked to client PC 

WAT1460.png