Sign in to follow this  

[IMPORTANT] Turn Threaded optimization off in nVidia control panel!

Because this is coming back again and again and again and always creates problems for new users, I thought it might be a good idea to create a topic about this with a CLEAR topic title.  :wink:

If you have a nVidia videocard and want to use X-Plane you need to turn off Threaded optimization in the nVidia control panel. This is mandatory! Keeping it on may/will hurt performance! This is the first thing you should do after a (re)install of your system or driver or X-Plane.

- Open the nVidia Control panel.

- Select Manage 3D settings on the left. 

- Select the Program Settings tab on the right.

- Select the X-Plane profile and turn Threaded optimization OFF.

Done! Happy flying!

BTW To prevent (very common) confusion: Threaded optimization has absolutely nothing to do with Hyper-threading! Threaded optimization, as explained above, is a nVidia setting which has to do with your videocard while Hyper-threading is something you have to enable or disable in the BIOS and has to do with the cores of your CPU. The two are not related in any way!

Thanks Jeroen. Although it made no difference for me, I know it's worked for others, so I'm pinning the topic.

Thanks Jeroen. Just got back into xp11 after the holidays are over and I will take your advice. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Although it made no difference for me, I know it's worked for others, so I'm pinning the topic.

Thanks for pinning it! Yes, I know it doesn't have an effect on every PC out there (that's why I also posted 'may' hurt performance  :wink: ) but calling it mandatory seemed like a good idea to me: turning Threading optimization off certainly won't hurt and better safe than sorry...  :wink:

I btw edited the OP and added information about Threaded optimization and Hyper-threading: this also seemed like a good idea to me after reading a lot of posts from misinformed X-Plane users who dived deep into the BIOS and only screwed things up...  :wink:

First, thx a lot for this info.

Second, just for the nerd-tech's sake, it would be cool to know why someone is not affected and someone else heavily yes instead.

Second, just for the nerd-tech's sake, it would be cool to know why someone is not affected and someone else heavily yes instead.

I doubt if we will ever know this... I think it has to do with specific GPU's maybe in combination with specific RAM and/or CPU's or drivers... perhaps specific X-Plane settings too... It doesn't surprise me though because in all my years of flightsimming I have learned that NOTHING works the same on different computers. :wink: Settings or tweaks that work for someone may not work for someone else at all. Or may even have a negative effect. However, turning off Threaded optimization in the X-Plane profile has no negative effect at all: it eithers it gives a (huge) benefit or it doesn't make a difference. Which is why it is simply best to turn it off so we all know that if there is a performance problem, this can't be the cause anymore.  :wink:

Ben Supnik from Laminar commented on this in his developer blog a while ago. Threaded optimization seems to start a lot more threads and this, at some point, can overload the system and bring it down. Thus systems that can handle a lot of threads (mostly depending on number of physical cores and more virtuell cores and the handling of threads by the OS, I guess) and have less going on in the background won't be hurt by threaded optimization. Others will start to creep immediately.

He is in contact with Nvidia and trying to set some flag for the driver not to use threaded optimization with X-Plane.

Flo

On my 3930k@4.2Ghz (6 physical cores, 12 logical) i have always found Threaded Optimization OFF advice INOP. On my system i get extra FPS by leaving TO ON. This is a significant boost (around 20-25%). Only drawback is that scenery loading during flight takes much longer and can pause sim for a couple of seconds. Since X-Plane scenery load is always using up all cores nicely+full load, this would explain the longer load with TO ON per Ben comments.

(previously GTX 980, now GTX 1080)

Regards,

Radek

I lost about 1 - 2 FPS by turning Threaded Optiimization Off. So I don't know about "mandatory". It's of course definitely worth trying with the option On and Off, but as with all tweaks, ymmv.

CPUs and operating systems are designed to juggle a lot more threads than there are physical cores. In fact, looking in the task manager right now, with a few browser tabs and a backup verification job running, I have about 2,400 threads running on my 4-core CPU (8 logical cores with HT). The Nvidia driver spawning a few extra threads shouldn't cause any issues unless X-Plane itself somehow managed to load all 8 logical cores to 100%, which it has never come close to in my experience).

(i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 970, Windows 10)

• Upvote 1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Yeah I'm gonna have to jump on board with the anti-this-is-mandatory rhetoric.  Up until Jeroen mentioned this (from another topic) I'd always had it on, so I turned it off and never found a difference in performance.  I think it would be wise to restate the pinned topic to read something along the lines that it is recommended if problems arise with performance to turn it off and see if it makes a difference.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

.. I'm using NV Inspector, and turn the   the Threaded optimization is OFF, should I go and do the same on the NV Control center, and BTW do I need both of them running, and if the answer is no who should I leave on running ?  

Tnx

Yair

I put my GTX-1070 threaded optimization on "Auto" and got an immediate 10 to 12 fps improvement. So with settings nearly maxed out, i'm getting 28 to 38 fps. This is flying over the desert though too. Chino to Las Vegas.  A denser scenery will for sure chop it down. 

System i7 3.4ghz, 16gb ram, GTX 1070 

.he...he...heee .. this Sim drive me nuts ..run the latest update restarted the Rig, fire up the Sim and I'm down to 3-5FPS (yes 3-5FPS) ...... cross my heart I did nothing but updating ... is this what RL meant Optimization ...lol  

Since XP10 is was using the option OFF also in XP11      (GTX970 )

Today I discovered to have an increase of FPS of about 15% by setting the option to ON

Off was fine in XP10 in XP11 it looks like things are different.

• Upvote 2

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.