Sign in to follow this  
Shermann

Advices on sceneries

Hi everyone, 

I am still not using P3D but i am close to format all and so i was thinking to move to P3D. I would like to ask some questions to those of you who already own it. First off is if the planes i bought till now that run normally on FSX-Sewill work in P3D. I know PMDG need a new products and FSLAB as well. What about the others? Majestic and so on? Another thing is about sceneries. IIf i own some sceneries that doesnt have the installer for P3D can be installed in P3D? Or example those free sceneries that need to be installed manually?

Thanks

It depends... Some addons need a converted and dedicated P3D version, some can be installed into FSX then copied over with no issues, some need a bit of fiddeling to work properly (edit xml.dll, terrain.cfg etc.) and som you can just point the installer to your P3D-folder and everything works as before.

Biggest difference is that some of the cfg files in Prepar3D have been moved to a different directory, so if an FSX installer needs to edit your scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg it will not find it in the root folder of P3D.

For very old addons, and poor FS2004->FSX conversions there might be small texture issues.

Anyway, I would wait for the "big news" from Lockheed Martin before paying for Preapr3D v3 if you haven't got it by now. It's probably outdated in a few months.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Most scenery (both payware and freeware) will work fine. P3D uses a pretty much identical folder structure as FSX. The likes of Orbx scenery has a P3D installer. When you go to install it, it will ask what sim you want to install it for.

Other freeware scenery designed for FSX should also work. You basically just need to make sure you follow the instructions and specify the P3D equivalent folder(s) when installing.

Most aircraft will work too. Many, like the Orbx example I mentioned above will ask you to specify a sim. For others you might need to download a P3D version of the aircraft, at no extra cost by logging into your account at the site of purchase.

Some developers charge an upgrade fee (I believe Flight Sim Labs are going to do this when the P3D version of their A320 is released).

And then we have PMDG, (and possibly others) who of course force you to buy the same product again. And at a more expensive cost.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

P3D uses a pretty much identical folder structure as FSX. ore expensive cost.

The "system" files have been moved out of the main P3D folder in version 3, which is why you need a dedicated P3Dv3 installer to get things right for more "complex" scenery. 

Anyway, I would wait for the "big news" from Lockheed Martin before paying for Preapr3D v3 if you haven't got it by now. It's probably outdated in a few months.

This mean that P3D wiith next update will ask to pay the product again? The moreit is notclear what i hate more in FSX is to intsall add ons and then after 5-6-7 months to format all and reinstall. I am wondering if with PD3D with all those updates, sevice packs, new versions released i need to disinstall always all the sim and start to install all again or the new version and updates overwrite the older version? 

Until now each version of P3D has to be repurchased. No upgrade discount either if I remember correctly.

The "system" files have been moved out of the main P3D folder in version 3, which is why you need a dedicated P3Dv3 installer to get things right for more "complex" scenery. 

Correct. I wasn't implying otherwise. I was just making the point that most freeware scenery that you install in a "copy & paste" manner in FSX, will usually also work in P3D, by pasting the files in P3D's equivalent folder.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough