Sign in to follow this  
swiesma

Starting with X Plane - what do I really need?

Hey guys,

I am a P3D user and now, after reading a lot and asking you guys about addons some time ago - I would want to start my XP career.

So here is my question: What do I need to start?

Target: I want to fly a tubeliner (A320, A330, A350, any 'new' Boeing).

I think for the start I will go for the FF A350 or the jardesign A330 - but I have no idea if they work in XP11?

Then I would need a weather engine: Sky Maxx Pro v4?

What else?

Groundhandling?

Sceneries?

Something like ORBX Scenery?

Camera System?

I think that would be it for a good start?

Any help is appreciated :-)

There are a LOT of topics about this already so first: search!  :wink: But to get you going:

- if you plan on flying airliners do not get SkyMaxx but the all new X-Enviro. In fact, I myself wouldn't even consider SkyMaxx at all. X-Enviro has a lot more potential to become the ASN of X-Plane.

- for sceneries, check out the download section on the forum of xplane.org There really is a lot of quality freeware there, quite often payware quality. For a few examples see here:      New to XP 11 and looking for beautiful destinations?    

- there is nothing like Orbx scenery yet: most of the sceneries are freeware. A lot of people like Mesh HD (which replaces the default scenery with more detailed scenery). Take note that X-Plane Mesh isn't the same as P3D mesh: it contains a lot more. Check this:      Differences between XP11 default Global Scenery and HD Mesh Scenery v3    

- I have not tried it myself yet but x-camera seems to be a good (freeware again) camera addon. Take note however that X-Planes default camera system is pretty cool already...!!!

There are a LOT of topics about this already so first: search!  :wink: But to get you going:

- if you plan on flying airliners do not get SkyMaxx but the all new X-Enviro. In fact, I myself wouldn't even consider SkyMaxx at all. X-Enviro has a lot more potential to become the ASN of X-Plane.

- for sceneries, check out the download section on the forum of xplane.org There really is a lot of quality freeware there, quite often payware quality. For a few examples see here:      New to XP 11 and looking for beautiful destinations?    

- there is nothing like Orbx scenery yet: most of the sceneries are freeware. A lot of people like Mesh HD (which replaces the default scenery with more detailed scenery). Take note that X-Plane Mesh isn't the same as P3D mesh: it contains a lot more. Check this:      Differences between XP11 default Global Scenery and HD Mesh Scenery v3    

- I have not tried it myself yet but x-camera seems to be a good (freeware again) camera addon. Take note however that X-Planes default camera system is pretty cool already...!!!

Agreed on every point here!

On the planes though, be sure to investigate the forums before you purchase a plane expecting it to work in XP11.  All will work in XP10 but the integration into XP11 has been slow because it's still in beta testing stage.  Many of the payware planes can indeed be rigged to work in XP11 (some developers have already competed integration) but there are often some issues.  Just be patient, XP10 still beats P3D and FSX and look forward to XP11.

some socks because xplane is going to blow yours off.... Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either SkyMaxx or XEnviro. They both have draw distances now that are insane. 

I believe the most prudent and cautious way to go about it is to take things slow.  X-Plane, out of the box, offers so much to the new user and if you want to do it right, take it slow.  Start off with the core sim and get used to it.  Being a convert from P3D, I had to take a lot of time, getting used to the way XP operates and in some respects, re-learn a few things.  Another tip, is to download FlyWithLua (at the org site).  It is free, and is very powerful.  There are quite a few tutorials on how to use it (including the documentation that comes with the install).  I recently learned how to adjust the default XP11 weather with a LUA script, with makes everything load in at once, instead of making the manual adjustments every time.  The results were instant and a vast improvement from what LR has set up currently.  Speaking of weather, I can't say much for XEnviro, but I have used SkyMaxxPro for XP10 and while it did ok, I'm not jumping on the bandwagon for the upgrade right now.  To be honest, there seems to be a lot of speculation surrounding what the final build of XP11 will be (if a final build will exist), but since a majority of users have complained about the default weather, there is still hope that this will be addressed.

For aircraft, I am rather surprised in how the default Cessna performs in XP11 now and it is my current goto aircraft.  I do have other add-on aircraft from XP10, and have only tried one by Carenado, but the graphics were messed up.

Scenery though is where XP really shines.  The suggestions above, I can get behind in agreement.  As for airports, there are a surprising number of freeware/donationware airports for XP and are well worth the download.

I can't stress enough that if you have decided to take the plunge, do it slowly.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I believe the most prudent and cautious way to go about it is to take things slow.

And I'd like to add the following: X-Plane isn't FSX or P3D so don't try to turn it into one of them. Get used to a new way of doing things and don't focus on doing things in XP the FSX/P3D way. I read a lot of posts with FSX/P3D terminology and things that XP is apparently missing: don't think like that. Forget about the old, learn to use the new the proper new way. 

I remember from my work (graphic design) the switch a lot of people made from Quark Xpress to Adobe InDesign. A lot of people requested Xpress-like shortcuts and options and tried to implement them in various ways, changing defaults etc. I never did that. I simply learned the InDesign way of doing things. People who didn't do that had to do that anyway later on after various updates and that didn't make things easier. You actually have to switch one time or another so better do it right right away. It will save you time and agony in the future.

Weather: xEnviro. You won't regret your investment.

Camera: X-Camera. The free version is limited in functionality. It's an excellent camera utility. To unlock all its features, you pay the developer what you think it's worth to you.

Go to www.ontheglideslope.net  scroll down and read his article of "How to get started with X-Plane 11 (For those coming from P3d or FSX).  Can't go wrong...

Thanks for all your answers. This guide helped me a lot.

I downloaded everything from there, just need to buy XP and xEnviro (pretty xPensive) now.

I think I will fly the default 737 for the start, in the demo the plane doesn't look too bad, supports STARs and SIDs... not too bad for a default plane.

OP you may want to read the reviews before buying the A350. I heard it is not that great and the FMC is not complete - no SIDS/ STARS etc.

OP you may want to read the reviews before buying the A350. I heard it is not that great and the FMC is not complete - no SIDS/ STARS etc.

Yes, I know about this, thanks for the hint mate!

That's why I probably prefer the Jardesign A330 at the moment.