Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Skills and needs for flying on VATSIM

Okay, so I've been actually flying on VATSIM for a couple of weeks now.  This last week I've had ATC.  I suspect that there are quite a few folks who would like to fly on VATSIM but, for various reasons such as

• Not knowing where to find where the controllers are
  • Not knowing what minimum skills they need and what to do if they run into something they don't know.
  • Don't know phraseology or what to say.
  • Are just a bit scared about making mistakes or other unknowns.

In truth, VATSIM has training for controllers...not so much for pilots.  (Thank god for Youtube.)

Could some of you seasoned veterans point out the resources that exist to help people get started?  Help with nerves, best practices for starting out, etc?  I've got my own set of stuff but there may be better things out there that I'm unaware of.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hi Greg,

A good start would be the VATSIM Pilot Resource Centre (PRC) - http://www.vatsim.net/prc]

Also have a look at some of the increasing number of VATSIM Authorised Training Organisations (ATOs) offering training towards VATSIM pilot reasons - http://ptd.vatsim.net for a full list.

Hi Gregg,

The best way to find controllers is to check out Vatsim events at https://www.vatsim.net/events

The best way to receive training is to join a VA that is an Authorized Training Organization (ATO), see https://vasops.vatsim.net

There are pilot ratings for pilots as well.

If you are afraid of making mistakes try to avoid the large events where ATC may be very busy. You can use http://www.vattastic.com to see where ATC is online.

Peter

Matt Davis did a very good series on YouTube about getting into VATSIM - think it was 6 or 7 parts.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Gregg, Usually the largest hurdle for new pilots on VATSIM is becoming comfortable with voice communications.

Very often there are TWR controllers ONLINE at a smaller airfield just waiting for some traffic so they can gain more experience controlling on VATSIM. Why not log into a parking space at this airport and file for VFR pattern work ?

The TWR controller will assist you with "learning the ropes" in TAXI out, departing, doing some pattern work and touch and go's. They love having some traffic to work and the new pilot will gain confidence and experience. Everyone wins.. I started this way back in 2002 and within a couple of months I was a regular on the Friday Nite Ops on VATSIM USA. The most enjoyable flight experience can be had when flying a major event with dozens of pilots arriving into a major airport with holds, several levels of CTR, APP, TWR, and GND controllers all working in harmony to get you down and parked. :smile:

WAT1460.png

Very often there are TWR controllers ONLINE at a smaller airfield just waiting for some traffic so they can gain more experience controlling on VATSIM. Why not log into a parking space at this airport and file for VFR pattern work ?

I haven't seen a lot of those on VATSPY but, maybe, I just haven't noticed them.  I'll hunt around.  I have very few GA planes anymore...most of my favorites lost their nav systems when I swiched to P3d.  I guess I could do the A320 around some. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I haven't seen a lot of those on VATSPY but, maybe, I just haven't noticed them.  I'll hunt around.  I have very few GA planes anymore...most of my favorites lost their nav systems when I swiched to P3d.  I guess I could do the A320 around some. 

It may be relevant to our part of the world.  I can find many of them in the USA  just about every week night from about 2300 Z (eastern USA) to about 0500 z (west coast) . On weekends, the coverage extends to much earlier hours (1500 z - 0500 z) .  Fly whatever you are comfortable with (doesn't matter the size)  :smile:

EDIT:  I see now Gregg you are East Coast USA -- so these times should work for you .  At the time of this post - I see KMEM - KBHM - CYYZ Towers are up and running (and it still early  :Tounge:  )

WAT1460.png

The PilotEdge training materials are really good stuff (for the non-network specific parts) and include full sample transcripts:

VFR:

http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/cat-ratings

IFR:

http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/i-ratings

The lessons also give some good ideas of the sort of baby steps to attempt if you need inspiration.  Obviously they are US procedures and you might need to "interpret" slightly as VATSIM doesn't have the same guaranteed clearance to centre coverage, at least not in the same way.

Matt Davis did a very good series on YouTube about getting into VATSIM - think it was 6 or 7 parts.

I watched it.  It is good but didn't have all this stuff you guys provided.  Anyway, here's his series...

Gregg Seipp

Thanks, everyone, for all the great resources.  I've gone through a bunch of them and, glad to say, I know a good amount of that stuff (technical term).  I want to learn more about European stuff.  Everything is much more active there.  Their charts are different, though, and I often get confused about what's on the chart and what's on the FMS.  If I were to join one of those training resources, I'd likely do a European one...maybe FlyUK even though they only train to level 2. 

Gregg Seipp