Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

38 minutes ago, John V. stated there will be NO X-Plane Orbx development

When I saw Austin trolling him on Facebook and then Orbx removed the X-plane preview shot from their website, I figured this would happen. 

His excuses make no sense. He admits in his post that the airports ported to XP just fine. 

But he wants to instead release products for AF2, which has a tiny user base, no even real airplanes to fly yet, and has a scenery engine dependent on photo scenery. While some people like that, it limits what you can do with autogen and lighting to fill out the world. 

He should just admit he's doing this for personal reasons and move on. 

• Upvote 14

Much ado about nothing, so it turns out.

I'd judge there's a mixture of reasons. Performance / Frame Rates, perceived attitude, personal. Hard to judge, and I'll bet we never hear all the story - especially if it does actually come down to performance. No company is going to want to admit that they can't make something work acceptably.

Performance might be a reason why they would want to shift weight behind Aerofly - Nothing but frame-rate friendly scenery for miles around likely gives a very blank canvas to work with.

It's all speculation, I guess. Gosh, we are good at that. :smile:

John, did mention that they love all the FPS horsepower and headroom of the AeroFly graphics engine.  Honestly, they could load moving traffic, boats, A.I. ATC...blah, blah...and I probably would see a 30 FPS total reduction 'hit' in FPS.  That would still have me with a full blown feature set of P3D/FSX at 90 FPS, features full out!   That has to be playing out in this decision as well.  They are happy with the FPS head room going into R and D, with AeroFly FS2.  With X Plane 11 full out, as I like it...I get between 17-33 FPS, max!  If an Orbx product took even 10 FPS away from my max top out......it would be fatal on my system.  I get 120 FPS in AeroFly, right now.  As stated, I could lose 30 FPS in further processes, and my present system not even to yawn....

• Upvote 2

When I saw Austin trolling him on Facebook, I figured this would happen. 

Game of trolls  :smile:

• Upvote 6

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

AeroFly seriously....

Now now, don't mock.

Over the past 30 days, it has had an average of 31 players. An all-time peak of 79 and a glacial influx of new players.

http://steamcharts.com/app/434030

It's like a vein of gold, waiting to be mined. 

• Upvote 9

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Much ado about nothing, so it turns out.

I'd judge there's a mixture of reasons. Performance / Frame Rates, perceived attitude, personal. Hard to judge, and I'll bet we never hear all the story - especially if it does actually come down to performance. No company is going to want to admit that they can't make something work acceptably.

Performance might be a reason why they would want to shift weight behind Aerofly - Nothing but frame-rate friendly scenery for miles around likely gives a very blank canvas to work with.

It's all speculation, I guess. Gosh, we are good at that. :smile:

If it were just about performance, they could eventually fix that. Plenty of other airports in XP use high quality models and orthos. There's nothing about Orbx's stuff that should of been remarkably different in the XP engine performance wise. 

It's personal and the fact that just two weeks ago they were putting up preview shots on their website with coming soon banners proves it IMO. They had full plans to release a product and then pulled the plug suddenly. This wasn't just a proof on concept all along like he claims. 

John, did mention that they love all the FPS horsepower and headroom of the AeroFly graphics engine.  Honestly, they could load moving traffic, boats, A.I. ATC...blah, blah...and I probably would see a 30 FPS total reduction 'hit' in FPS.  That would still have me with a full blown feature set of P3D/FSX at 90 FPS, features full out!   That has to be playing out in this decision as well.  They are happy with the FPS head room going into R and D, with AeroFly FS2.  With X Plane 11 full out, as I like it...I get between 17-33 FPS, max!  If an Orbx product took even 10 FPS away from my max top out......it would be fatal on my system.  I get 120 FPS in AeroFly, right now.  As stated, I could lose 30 FPS in further processes, and my present system not even to yawn....

Except AF2 has nowhere near the full blown feature set of P3D. It still feels like a proof of concept simulator. You can't even adjust the mixture on the piston aircraft. 

• Upvote 8

If it were just about performance, they could eventually fix that. Plenty of other airports in XP use high quality models and orthos. There's nothing about Orbx's stuff that should of been remarkably different in the XP engine performance wise. 

It's personal and the fact that just two weeks ago they were putting up preview shots on their website with coming soon banners proves it IMO. They had full plans to release a product and then pulled the plug suddenly. This wasn't just a proof on concept all along like he claims. 

Except AF2 has nowhere near the full blown feature set of P3D. It still feels like a proof of concept simulator. You can't even adjust the mixture on the piston aircraft. 

I totally agree with you...but with the comment that AF2 is still a beta release. What you lament, will be there, not 'possibly will be there'....

I totally agree with you...but with the comment that AF2 is still a beta release. What you lament, will be there, not 'possibly will be there'....

Not to sure about that. They already said they won't implement start up and shutdown options in every plane... but to get back on topic: I also think it is a personal thing. JV is like that.

Whether a full feature set will ever make it into that game is still very much up in the air.

No need to watch a soapopera when you hang around AVSIM... :)

• Upvote 10

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

No need to watch a soapopera when you hang around AVSIM... :)

LOL I actually spend more time here than I do flying! ;)

The last thread seemed like it lasted forever. Maybe, this one will end before it takes-off. :smile:

ORBX doesn't need anymore publicity and not worth the 15sec it took me to write this post.

• Upvote 3

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Personally, I'm glad to hear this. I've never been a fan of X-Plane - the scenery just looks unrealistic and strange in my opinion, not to mention the fact that it lacks a lot of features that FSX has, and I'm glad ORBX won't be wasting time developing for this platform.

The future of flight simulation lies with P3D and DTG simulation platforms.

Dave

• Upvote 4

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Whatever the reason, I could care less, wasn't planning on buying anyway.

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo