Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

38 minutes ago, John V. stated there will be NO X-Plane Orbx development

I'm hungry.

Might as well post since I am here.

JV is a great guy.

ORBX and REX and PMDG and P3D are all awesome and I will never leave the platform with all that awesomeness behind.

I used to not care for X-Plane at all, But the night lighting, roads, signage, electrical lines, etc, in XP11 blew me away, so I purchased the full beta and since it was free I installed the whole of XP10.

I will fly in XP10 some  (but doubt as a disabled veteran on a fixed income, newly married (5 months ago) and needing to do a massive remodel so we can start a family in my old place since I own it already) doubt I will put much into XP10.

I will likely do a bit here and there with the finished XP11 and see how that goes.

I downloaded one free scenery and love it, and then downloaded another one by a big name in the scenery side of XP, and loved it except for a portion of the water being turned into flat shiny tiles with noise all over them, will check into that later.

I love XP11 thus far and wish that it would have worked out to have ORBX scenery in it, but because of my situation in life, it would still be a long process to build up the XP11 sim to anywhere near what my P3D is, because it took me years to get there.

A man can not have too many quality tools in his shop, nor can he have too many quality choices for add-ons to add to his simulator, it's how you make it your own.

Whatever the situation was, it is a sad blow.

Before Global base, vector, and open LC, I hated to fly over a single default area in FSX/P3D, but only flew in regions, or airports and their surrounding area dressed up with ORBX.

Now my whole P3D is a much better world, even where there are no regions installed P3D looks pretty darn good so I don't mind leaving a fat region now.

One day XP11 and beyond will be as full of custom scenery and aircraft for me, so I am not knocking XP in any way.

JV has his reasons and that is good enough for me.                                                                   

Aaron Tirrell

Oh darn

D.F.C.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I just detect a lot of salt in JV's post. All in all, I genuinely feel X-Plane is better off without the FSX devs who feel they can charge whatever they want for, honestly speaking, nothing much at all. Not to mention DRM, OOMs, baked textures, etc. There's no love lost and X-Plane has plenty going for it even without the so-called auspices of Orbx.

Austin and the LR team are completely open to ANY developer contacting them and requesting features added or modified in the XP platform to assist their development, and this open approach won't change.

Speaking of which, how do we contact a specific developer in Laminar Research if we would like a feature added in? Specifically, Ben Supnik?

• Upvote 2

Great news for Aerofly2. The best VR implemented sim yet. Just need to try the NY scenery to find this out. Orbx will add a great deal to the realism and GA scenery they are so famous for.

• Upvote 2

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I've been simming since the late part of the last century - nearly 25+ years. Yes, I am old.

The X-Plane 11 beta impressed me more than anything in this hobby for basically a decade - combined with X-Enviro.

It does not need ORBX. Period.

The ordtho photoreal combined with autogen is VERY impressiv.

Yes, it requires some work, but I rather tinker with creating scenery, than with settings and the cfg file.

Yes, X-Plane 11 has a few major shortcomings, like clouds and seasons, but A LOT of entries in the positive column. Freeware stuff is amazing.

• Upvote 16

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Great news for Aerofly2. The best VR implemented sim yet. Just need to try the NY scenery to find this out. Orbx will add a great deal to the realism and GA scenery they are so famous for.

Aerfoly2 has only one add-on which called: "cold & dark" start for 172. I guess it's a great start.. Realism? What is that? :)

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Aerfoly2 has only one add-on which called: "cold & dark" start for 172. I guess it's a great start.. Realism? What is that? :)

Hold your horses. It's a new 64 bit sim with great potential. SDKs have been released. If the developers get on board more and more it can easily embarass the existing flightsims. Its VR implementation is second to none. That alone is more realism than feeling like your flying a sportscar for a 767 in either of the other flightsims without VR.

• Upvote 4

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Hold your horses. It's a new 64 bit sim with great potential. SDKs have been released. If the developers get on board more and more it can easily embarass the existing flightsims. Its VR implementation is second to none. That alone is more realism than feeling like your flying a sportscar for a 767 in either of the other flightsims without VR.

AF2 comes with very simplistic  limited in-house airplane implementation. To me VR is not practical at the moment until you can access every single switch inside aircraft cockpit.

With the nice graphics and  great visuals AF2 still has long way to go in order to become an advance sim. Yes it's great  for casual user, but definatelynot for hardcore simmer like myself. :P 

I'm aware of only  two top dogs sims right now XP and P3D. But unfortunately P3D is still 32bit and when it goes to 64 bits every single add on has to be redone. Which means each developer will have to spend significant amount of time re-creating their product and re-selling them again to cover their costs. Sounds like XP is a bit ahead with it's 64 bit platform

P.S. And yes of course I'm biased because I'm flight instructor and know thing or two about realism. :smile:

• Upvote 5

Have you tried VR with FlyInside on XP or P3D? FlyInside let's you control every switch within VR. You might change your mind once you've experienced that.

100% agree with Lenny777 above.

AF2 comes with very simplistic limited in-house airplane implementation. To me VR is not practical at the moment until you can access every single switch inside aircraft cockpit.

With the nice graphics and great visuals AF2 still has long way to go in order to become an advance sim. Yes it's great for casual user, but definatelynot for hardcore simmer like myself. :P

I'm aware of only two top dogs sims right now XP and P3D. But unfortunately P3D is still 32bit and when it goes to 64 bits every single add on has to be redone. Which means each developer will have to spend significant amount of time re-creating their product and re-selling them again to cover their costs. Sounds like XP is a bit ahead with it's 64 bit platform

P.S. And yes of course I'm biased because I'm flight instructor and know thing or two about realism. :smile:

• Upvote 2

Have you tried VR with FlyInside on XP or P3D? FlyInside let's you control every switch within VR. You might change your mind once you've experienced that.

100% agree with Lenny777 above.

No. When I retire and sell my airplane may be I justify it to my wife to buy one :)

• Upvote 2

If LR stays on course for PBR Materials with dynamic shaders, all of those airports are going to need major updates anyway.

Shaders can provide dynamic grounds (wet surfaces, dust, snow, etc). I wonder if Orbx is ready for that... 

JV is like that.

And Austin isnt? Austin is one of the most emotionally driven men I have ever witnessed type in my life. Every other word is bolded in ALL CAPS and he gets so caught up in the minutiae of things that he often digs in deep to small issues that don't affect the community and makes outlandish statements like the one he did about ORBX. Lets be honest, with two men like that trying to go into a business relationship, it was doomed from the start. 

However, I do think that 3rd party support for Aerofly is a nice thing. John is big on VR and it is hands down the most visually stimulating and currently the only "built for VR" sim on the market. So when deciding where to put his company's time and money, I can see why X-Plane had to go. 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

When Orbx X-Plane was announced it hardly seemed to be that welcoming, https://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/5ih8sx/orbx_to_start_developing_for_xplane/?sort=confidence although speculating as much as anyone else it is possible as WR269 points out that it has nothing to do with a personal spat between developers. 

Personally I'd rather see more aircraft for X-Plane over the coming months/years, such as the Aerosoft Airbus and Just Flight/Aeroplane Heaven's products, such as the Bac1-11, etc etc, all cross platform compatible.

Guest Mik75

I honestly think that we don't need them in XP.

And as I stated before, I even think it's better that way!

LOL I actually spend more time here than I do flying! ;)

+1

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado