Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

38 minutes ago, John V. stated there will be NO X-Plane Orbx development

Thing is...

I don't really need to make a 'I'm not gonna spend any more money with Orbx' type decision. The reason why is simple - I have money to spend, but since I only fly X-Plane these days, it only stands to reason that it's only developers who develop for X-Plane that are possibly going to see any of it.

It is, however, very easy to read into JV's statement in a negative way - as in, 'this is what we had accomplished, but now you won't see any of it, so long'.

Ah well, to celebrate this thread, I think I'll spend approx. $40 tonight on two very nice looking aircraft from a very respectable X-Plane aircraft developer whose name may or may not begin with 'V', and then spend another $30 or so on a really nice looking X-Plane airport from a developer whose name may or may not begin with 'B'. :smile:

• Upvote 6

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Is that a fact?, enlighten me then.

What world are you living in?

He is correct,

Xplane does lack a few features at the moment, to suggest otherwise is just plain wrong and you know it.

• Upvote 6

Oh well. I would have liked them to come to XP, because they have some really nice airports and I also love their regions. It might also have brought more users to XP. But then again I think it is not important for me. If I want to use OrbX I start P3D anyway already. No need to use just one sim.

• Upvote 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

No need to watch a soapopera when you hang around AVSIM... :)

I was actually just thinking that.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Anyway, we can all agree this is not a technical issue and likely some problems between John and Austin :P

While it's fun to do armchair psychiatric analysis, I'm not jumping so quickly to that conclusion. If there was a technical problem, something like working with X-Plane's far greater LOD distance, or having to coordinate with ever-changing default mesh and OSM updates, then we're not likely to hear about it.

I think the choice to develop for Aerofly (and DTG's sim if it's ever released) suggests JV just wanted more of a blank slate to work with.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

This decision will trigger other big players decisions as well in the following weeks/months, for sure.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

The market is here, itching to spend money on a good worldwide winter add-on. So I think we'll see something like this very soon.

I've been itching for a good seasons add-on since I first got XP 10 4 years ago. Still itching.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

This decision will trigger other big players decisions as well in the following weeks/months, for sure.

Cheers, Ed

Care to elaborate on that? Why would anyone change anything based on this?

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Austin was right to stick it to him imo and he can well afford to. X-Plane has stood on its own for some time now and will continue to do so without JV. No great loss!

• Upvote 5

What are the other big players? I don't think scenery is such an attractive market here, considering what's already available with free and payware airports, and where the scenery model is headed in the future.

We already have great GA planes and helicopters and a few more complex fast movers from independent designers and the likes of Carenado/Alabeo. If PMDG starts releasing modern tubeliners for X-Plane after their DC-6 test bed, then I don't see that we need much else to keep moving forward.

I don't quite see Carenado and PMDG leaping onto the Aerofly platform just because Orbx is doing scenery there. 

• Upvote 7

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

You'll have to go and read the verbatim post, but he did say that they are going to load the DTG SDK, and see what's up with it....and also will be loaded upon release, the P3D '4' SDK.

Mitch, I think that you have that backwards. The DTG SDK is not yet available to developers, the P3d V4 SDK is available to the LM "partners" and ORBX is a partner:

We WILL install the P3D 4.x SDK and see what it has in store for us. We WILL install the Dovetail SDK when it becomes available and explore options there as well.

• Upvote 1

Care to elaborate on that? Why would anyone change anything based on this?

Simply because if it was a logic behind ORBX's decision, which I think it had a logic, other big players will re-think their developing strategies as well and take a similar decision, probably not all of them, but for sure some others will follow. Judging ORBX's decision by saying it's a matter of ego of its CEO, is to look at the facts in a very simple way, and business decisions are not that simple, they cost money.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Personally, I'm glad to hear this. I've never been a fan of X-Plane - the scenery just looks unrealistic and strange in my opinion, not to mention the fact that it lacks a lot of features that FSX has, and I'm glad ORBX won't be wasting time developing for this platform.

The future of flight simulation lies with P3D and DTG simulation platforms.

Dave

I agree Dave, never been a fan of X-Plane either, it's always had that strange unrealistic look about it, for me I believe the future lies with Aerofly FS2.

Simply because if it was a logic behind ORBX's decision, which I think it had a logic, other big players will re-think their developing strategies as well and take a similar decision, probably not all of them, but for sure some others will follow. Judging ORBX's decision by saying it's a matter of ego of its CEO, is to look at the facts in a very simple way, and business decisions are not that simple, they cost money.

Cheers, Ed

Yeah, I'm not really following you. Who exactly had X-Plane in their view and would now decide not to develop for it, based on this? Which of the current developers would suddenly back out, based on this? And if this was all logic driven, based on money, why are they investing so much money, so much effort into a platform that has an average of 30 players a day, and has seen a peak of 79 players? Why would the drop an even bigger platform, a platform they claim was easy to port to? Nothing in OrbX's statement follows any sort of logic. What it does reek of is hurt egos, nothing else. The fact that they dance around the issue and don't give us a concrete reason is an even bigger tell-tale sign. 

• Upvote 10

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

What are the other big players? I don't think scenery is such an attractive market here, considering what's already available with free and payware airports, and where the scenery model is headed in the future.

If we look at the improvement made by ORBX FTX Global, Vector, etc. to P3D, it's evident that P3D became a more attractive platform for everyone, including both the users and the developers - of all type of addons, not only scenery- . Once a player like ORBX decides not to move into X-Plane it will for sure make X-P less attractive to a lot of people... and of course to some developers as well.

We see this happening in all business areas and would not be something new if it happens to X-P.

Cheers, Ed

Yeah, I'm not really following you. Who exactly had X-Plane in their view and would now decide not to develop for it, based on this? Which of the current developers would suddenly back out, based on this? And if this was all logic driven, based on money, why are they investing so much money, so much effort into a platform that has an average of 30 players a day, and has seen a peak of 79 players? Why would the drop an even bigger platform, a platform they claim was easy to port to? Nothing in OrbX's statement follows any sort of logic. What it does reek of is hurt egos, nothing else. The fact that they dance around the issue and don't give us a concrete reason is an even bigger tell-tale sign. 

I'm afraid we'll probably never know the reasons behind ORBX's decision. When it comes to business decisions they are secret and belongs to each company.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed