Sign in to follow this  
Juergen

Connection Question for Shared Cockpit

Hi,

I am trying to set up a shared cockpit between my friend in Germany and myself (Tampa, Florida). We would like to start with the MS default aircraft and running into some difficulties:

Both run:  FSX-SE; Norton 360; ports are forwarded on both routers (6112 to 6122).

For test purposes we will briefly disable Norton Firewall; I have created a session and have arrived in the Briefing Room waiting for my friend to join.

Question: If I arrived at the Briefing Room through connecting, does that indicate a properly working connection? (see screenshot)

I just now saw the OVPA guidlines and will also troubleshoot my end.

Thanks for help

Sorry, forgot the link to the screenshot:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141330124@N05/shares/6b2qz6

Brgds

Juergen Mader

Hello Juergen, and welcome to the Shared Cockpit forum!

Instead of typing it all out, I thought you might prefer a link to a Video which should show you exactly what to do.

HERE is the link.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Starting with default aircraft as you are is definitely a good idea. In the box version clients should be able to connect to the host at the point of your screenshot (the briefing room). I can't say for sure that it is the exact same way in the Steam version though. Did you try clicking "fly now"?

I usually find it preferable to make the connection between pilot and co-pilot once the pilot's aircraft is on the tarmac in the virtual world.

Once a connection is established you will usually see an error message about gauges not being synced. Don't worry about that error message.

Hi,

I can click on "fly now" and the aircraft loads to the selected field and location.

The question I have is: I get to the briefing room after FSX displays "connecting" for several seconds. After that I am in the briefing room. CAN I ASSUME NOW THAT THIS BEHAVIOR ON MY PC INDICATES A WORKING CONNECTION?

By working I mean: connected to steam - port range 6112 to 6122 forwarded in the router - Norton 360 firewall rules set!

The problem we are having is: he and I can't see each other and an error occurs "cannot connect to host". I also watched the video, however he has a working connection already.

Thanks for help

Brgds

Juergen Mader

You'll get text displayed when the connection has been made. It says xxxxx has joined your aircraft.- or words to that affect.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hi,

I just watched the video again and wanted to follow along in FSX. After I select Multiplayer and select Steam on the internet - sign in - I get the following screen (see screenshot). It differs from the one the video starts at (see screenshot). https://www.flickr.com/photos/141330124@N05/shares/42M9D8

How do I get to the screen on the video?

Thanks for help

Brgds

Juergen Mader

You missed a step.

Instead of selecting steam, select LAN.

Dave Hodges

Hi Dave,

Here are screenshots from the sign in window (sign into steam or lan) and the next window (choose a session to join or host a session). Again, it looks completely different from the video, even though the video is for FSX steam edition.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141330124@N05/shares/4i9iA9

Thanks for help

Hi Dave,

Here is a video that shows more of the FSX-SE multiplayer windows like mine. I do believe the LAN log in is for connected PC on your LAN setup.

Thanks

I don't know how this ended up in the above post?

Hi Dave,

Here is a video that shows more of the FSX-SE multiplayer windows like mine. I do believe the LAN log in is for connected PC on your LAN setup.

Thanks

Brgds

Juergen Mader

Hi,

Now it gets even more confusing:

I just stumbled across a steam community :

FSX-SE Multiplayer Server Set-Up (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=360570904) and here it shows port forwarding for Port 6112 (TCP&UCP) and Port 27016 (TCP & UCP). I was under the impression that the Port Range of 6112 to 6122 had to be forwarded?

Any thoughts

Thanks for help

Brgds

Juergen Mader