Sign in to follow this  
lupedelupe

Forum at .org out?

Bizarre that store.x-plane is up (although this too was patchy earlier). Thank you for confirming from your side. 

Good to know it wasn't just me.  Kind of odd for the org to go down, unless they are updating the GUI?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Kind of odd for the org to go down, unless they are updating the GUI?

It's due to the horde of users flocking to the forums to vent their desperation because Orbx won't develop for X-Plane anymore.

• Upvote 5

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

It's due to the horde of users flocking to the forums to vent their desperation because Orbx won't develop for X-Plane anymore.

+1 Classic

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Bizarre that store.x-plane is up (although this too was patchy earlier). Thank you for confirming from your side. 

The store is most likely on a different server than their forums.

I for one am glad ORBX backed out. You have to figure we get some nice freeware airports now. And we get some nice payware as well at a decent cost. 20 bucks usually for some nice airports. If ORBX comes along, they will be more expensive which means all the others will be raising their prices some too. So although we may get a nice scene here or there from them, in the long run, what we loved about XP and the openess and freeware, etc. I think xp scenery is working fine without them. :) Just mho. (as in MY opinion. So no need to bash my opinion. :) 

• Upvote 6

Austin has 3 or 4 artist working for him, + the coders, so the sim will progress without ORBX as it always has !

• Upvote 4

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Austin has 3 or 4 artist working for him, +  the coders

But they are only working on tire treads and bobble heads. :P

...the sim will progress without ORBX as it always has !

Yeah, not sure why people were suddenly acting like X-Plane would live or die based on ORBX's involvement.

• Upvote 1

I already bought plenty from Orbx for P3D

Don't want to rebuy for XP

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I already bought plenty from Orbx for P3D

Don't want to rebuy for XP

In my opinion, the stock scenery in X-Plane 10, and especially 11, is so good that I'm not sure after-market scenery is even necessary, certainly not to the extent that it is in FSX/P3D, and adding your own photo textures is, I understand, relatively easy, though I've not done it.  Which is to say that it's worth the upgrade to X-Plane even if you can't bring your ORBX scenery with you.

• Upvote 4

In my opinion, the stock scenery in X-Plane 10, and especially 11, is so good that I'm not sure after-market scenery is even necessary, certainly not to the extent that it is in FSX/P3D, and adding your own photo textures is, I understand, relatively easy, though I've not done it.  Which is to say that it's worth the upgrade to X-Plane even if you can't bring your ORBX scenery with you.

Not to derail this thread too far, but I actually 100% agree with this, much to my own surprise.  The latest version of XP10 (which I mainly use & still prefer over the 11 betas for performance reasons) and XP11 are surprisingly good out of the box.  Add the great free HD Mesh and some free airports from the Gateway and it's a surprisingly impressive package.  I've actually done a couple flights now between airports in XP10 with said free addons and then in P3D in a full fat ORBX region (PNW mainly so far), and XP actually looks better to me.  Something about the way the world is drawn, no idea how to describe it.

Now, that's not to say I wouldn't give full price to have my beloved Pago Pago Orbx airport in XP!  Their airports are still the best.  For the rest of the world outside of airports though, XP w/ HD Mesh is better looking on the whole than FTX Global, Vector and LC.  Never thought I'd be saying that ha.

And yes, to crash this thread back on course, I still can't access X-Plane.org either, although like others have mentioned, the Store is working and I am able to access my purchases just fine.

• Upvote 1