Sign in to follow this  
SnipeYouFromMars

Is REX 4 really worth it?

One thing that makes me wonder, why does REX even cost anything? Don't get me wrong, the clouds look incredible, and I'm sure took some work to develop. But looking at the runway textures, lighting, and everything else REX comes with, why can't anyone achieve this through freeware? It looks as if they just slapped together a concrete texture in mspaint, is this not achievable with freeware?

The concrete looks good, but doesn't in any way seem comparable to a new game. Obviously flight sims cant look as good as a next gen game, because of how complex they are, but couldn't they at least make a more high definition runway?

Hopefully this makes sense, wasn't sure how to explain this.

I'm new so my apologies if this was posted in the wrong forum.

Worth is subjective.  

With enough searching, digging, etc. you might be able to accomplish much of the look that REX gives you, or you can spend the money, let someone else do it and just enjoy your flying.  It's frequently available on sale, so you don't even have to pay full price if you're willing to wait a bit.

Also, what REX gives is variations of the textures and the ability to easily swap them out, create entire themes, etc., something which is somewhat more difficult if you go the DIY route.

So, for me.. yes REX is worth it.

Ernie

• Upvote 3

Ernest Pergrem

REX4 adds a lot to my immersion factor, and it's compatible with the upcoming SkyForce from REX.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

One thing that makes me wonder, why does REX even cost anything? Don't get me wrong, the clouds look incredible, and I'm sure took some work to develop. But looking at the runway textures, lighting, and everything else REX comes with, why can't anyone achieve this through freeware? It looks as if they just slapped together a concrete texture in mspaint, is this not achievable with freeware?

The concrete looks good, but doesn't in any way seem comparable to a new game. Obviously flight sims cant look as good as a next gen game, because of how complex they are, but couldn't they at least make a more high definition runway?

Hopefully this makes sense, wasn't sure how to explain this.

I'm new so my apologies if this was posted in the wrong forum.

Actually years of work has gone into all versions and releases of REX.  With each release or update of a product we are always adding or improving the way we do things.   All textures used within REX are photos taken from real environments and optimized to be used within the flight simulator environment. We have strived to take each simulator platform to a new level of realism with each release.  

• Upvote 1

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

With each release or update of a product we are always adding or improving the way we do things.

To me, that's the most valuable part of the worth of an addon - the fact the developers continue to update and improve the products.  Several developers stop developing after a product has been released.  I haven't seen that with REX!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The best value I have received from a REX purchase is Soft Clouds. Foe me, it transformed the way the sky environment not only looks but 'feels.'

• Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

At the time, REX 4 was indeed a very good value.  However, IMHO, it's been supplanted by TOGA PROJECTS - ENVTEX FSX P3D.   This is really impressive software that does A LOT for 21.00.  It provides amazing textures plus special effects.  Concerning the latter, it replaced FSFX's  PrecipitFX; so, it provides the capabilities of two software packages for the price of one.  It works best when used in-conjunction with ASCA/AS2016; yet, it's still an amazing value when used as stand alone software.  Have a look.

Edited by Jim Young
Link removed. No links to Stores allowed. See pinned topic in Hangar Chat

Matt King

Texture products can be tough to say whether it's "worth it" just from the standpoint of what's actually preferable to you, as Ernie mentioned. But, I have to say I've only been pleased with REX products.

For one, even the HD textures aren't the worst FPS hit at all, which is absolutely beautiful. But then the realism that you get at that small FPS price, if any, is without question a great value. It's not difficult to get the same kind of look that are in their product screenshots (in fact, as far as I know, many of the photos come directly from their beta team's rigs. Reed and/or Tim can confirm?)

Also, if what you're worried about is runway textures, you should really take a look at Worldwide Airports. That is the improvement that they have honestly needed for a while to make their runways coherent, and boy does that deliver on that!

Plus, they have an awesome product support structure. They'll never leave you hanging, ever! I wish larger corporations had such great, responsive customer service.

• Upvote 2

Yep  cant  go  wrong  with  rex  at all,  great support   that goes  with it

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg