Sign in to follow this  
WillsB3

Rotating Cloud Shadows...

Hi!

I've been plagued by cloud shadows on the ground that rotate as the camera viewpoint looks around. Is there anything that can be done to the shader to make this less obvious or disable it completely? I wonder what effect disabling it would have (potentially some inaccurate cloud shadows), but it's very distracting seeing massive shadows fly across the terrain as you look around with TrackIR or panning.

Any ideas ;)?

Wills

Mh,

what is your cloud shadow draw distance? I don't think, you can change that behaviour, but you can set the draw distance to far far away, so you won't notice the effect in the cockpit.

Matthias

Mh,

what is your cloud shadow draw distance? I don't think, you can change that behaviour, but you can set the draw distance to far far away, so you won't notice the effect in the cockpit.

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

Draw distance is not the issue. I know this can't be fixed as is. My idea was to modify the way cloud shadows are projected via a shader tweak.

As it is the effect is very noticeable when panning around

Wills

This bug has been in P3d V3 for a while as you know. TrackIR makes it more noticeable, as do the winter textures, as the terrain contrast is reduced by the snow cover. What I find interesting is that the cloud reflections on the water surface don't exhibit this behavior, which indicates to me that there is an error in the way that the sun angle is being calculated in generating the shadows. You are probably correct that a shader tweak would potentially fix this bug.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.