Sign in to follow this  
FreeBird(Josh)

The Big Island

Puu_Oo_cropped_zpstpnk5jwh.jpg

The Big Island

On today's flight we will be on the Big Island of Hawaii. We will  be flying over two summits above 13000 ft and skimming the shores in Kona. We will see the world's most active volcano along with the leftovers of 4 more. Will see where Captain Cook first set eyes upon Hawaii and later killed by the natives.  Since this is a sight seeing tour we will be going slow about 100 to 120 knt's. I will be flying a helicopter but a small plane will be okay too. This trip is about 241 miles and I will be flying at noon time.  At PHUP I will be switching into my Comanche for the trip over the channel to Kahului Maui. Bring plenty of sun screen and your camera.

Flight Plan   https://www.mediafire.com/?d7x8osnkax1a0vt

Scenery    http://www.avsim.com/topic/500008-joshuas-holo-holo-hawaiian-tour/

Date and time: January 7, 2017, 1900 UTC
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. Latest TEST version is 
here. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D)

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Here is a video that provides a preview of some (but not all) of Josh's tour. Looks to be a terrific design.

Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Big Island Highlights
tripcentral.ca President Richard Vanderlubbe took a Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour on the big island of Hawaii.
Highlights from 2015 trip. Music and live pilot's commentary. (14:32)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF7CfkRhA-A

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Superb video! I just wonder how much the girl in the front with the camera actually got to see. Looking at a tiny screen would not convey the splendour of what she was filming.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

folding_map_1.gif

For your folding map pleasure (SkyVector) - the Hawaiian Islands sectional is quite nice to look at! It highlights POIs well and....  caution! Magnetic disturbances, laser light activity, helo altitude restrictions over nat'l parks and a permanent TFR over Kilauea military camp. An interesting read.

For your editing pleasure I created a second sheet, for an alternate flying machine, at our primary workbook location. The first sheet is unaltered while the second highlights the pilot name in yellow and uses everyone's favorite font  - Comic Sans MS. It's keeps from getting confused, which I did almost instantly before the mod. LOL!

Had to do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxwLTl3Drag

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

One more time, Little Navmap to the rescue..  Import pln flightplan, export gfp format, load into GTN gauge.  Done! 

Brilliant  :smile:

Bert

One more time, Little Navmap to the rescue..  Import pln flightplan, export gfp format, load into GTN gauge.  Done! 

Brilliant  :smile:

I have never tried this...I might need a little help....but I'll give it a go.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Oooh, oooh,...so exciting I finally figured out and imported my first flight plan. Who says old guys can't learn something new.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Josh - Thanks for the flight and the heads-up to the beautiful scenery! Feel all warm inside!

This Pirep is "short 'n sweet". It's almost impossible clicking the camera shutter when one has a death grip (at 10:00 & 02:00 :LMAO: ) on the controls. The recorder function in FSJoin works with Helo's, but cameras such as AI/MP spot cameras don't*, which makes it difficult to get "action shots". Oh well.

* (Only airplanes? Bummer) Tried modding the camera.cfg and to make helos into airplanes by giving them airplane .air files, cfg mods & other things with no luck (yet..?).

Vents erupting in the Kahauale'a Natural Area Reserve just ESE of Mauna Loa.

SS_07Jan17_132854_N19.39076_W155.09723.j

Climbing up the pot marked Mauna Kea. "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..."

SS_07Jan17_144046_N19.80928_W155.54502.j

The Mauna Kea Observatories.

SS_07Jan17_144400_N19.81989_W155.45798.j

One just can't switch on "Otto" and use the "Little John / Lady J". It's break time on top of Mauna Kea near the telescopes. Mike & I on a semi-flat area taking a five'r.

SS_07Jan17_145051_N19.82614_W155.47058.j

At Waimea-Kohala (PHMU). Part of the group, from top left clockwise - Brian in the Lancair Legacy, Nick in his beautiful Bell 222, Josh looking for a spot in his Red/White MD 530, Ron is down in his sharp 530 & myself in the EC135. Locals looking on thinking this is the beach scene from Apocalypse Now.

SS_07Jan17_150138_N19.99828_W155.6732.jp

Another perspective @ PHMU - We add Gunter in the White/Blue Bell 206, gingerly taxiing in. Mike on approach 04 in the far background. Nice airport!

SS_07Jan17_150203_N19.99828_W155.6732.jp

End of the line in the Waipio Valley, the western end nearing the Pu'u O Umi Natural Preserve. T-28s anyone?

SS_07Jan17_151509_N20.06948_W155.6566.jp

La Perouse Bay, on the southwestern cape of Maui. This area is almost completely surrounded by lava fields. A mansion, a few houses and Makena Stables are all that remain. This is where Makena Road ends - Time for an ATV, dirtbike or a dedicated 4X4 to go any further down the now lava covered road.

SS_07Jan17_154757_N20.58533_W156.41833.j

Wailea Beach & Wailea Blue Golf Course on our way towards Maalaea Bay and the approach to our destination - Kahului Airport (KHOG). Josh mentioned there was a "special" beach around here.. Didn't see a thing.  :Shame On You:

SS_07Jan17_155103_N20.679_W156.44605.jpg

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap