Sign in to follow this  
Psaiko

4K AA Settings?

Happy new year,

I've been struggling with the Anti Aliasing in P3D v3. Its very shimmery, the autogen in far distance looks "liny" and ugly, sometimes also buildings at airports, as example FlyTampa Vienna.

Have you guys any suggestions on whats the problem? I currently run a Zotac GTX1070 AMP! Extreme, i7 6700K (OC 4,6 GHz), 16 GB DDR4 RAM, ASUS 28 inches 4K Monitor. I bought the monitor two weeks ago so I'm new with 4K.

Thank you very much.

Ron

From what I've been told, 4K is so bloody marvelous that it doesn't need anti-aliasing! :BigGrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I heard the same but when I tested I got flickering textures in distance and some buildings, autogen and trees (especially winter textures) are "liny", flickering and ugly.. dunno why.

I have a 4K TV and use a 980Ti card. I ve not, since getting a 4K TV, had a single issue with aliasing. In fact, its the one thing I've completely forgotten about until I  read this thread. I still get some shimmering, but no jaggy edges. They are long gone.

No AA needed here either. Using x4 MSAA in sim and that's it. This is on a 50in 4k.

Eric 

I just bought a 4k monitor and have been having some AA issues as well.  4x MSAA and 4x SGSS works in eliminating just about everything, but it absolutely cripples my performance on a 1060 and i5 6600k OC to 4.4ghz.  2x for both gets me much better performance but there is still a decent amount of shimmering with lights at night and thin objects such as fences and towers.  Even 4x MSAA alone takes a hit of about 5-10 FPS for me compared to 2x.  I'm still experimenting.  

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

See my settings to achieve very good AA with a 4K TV monitor running at 30 Hz

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wum2no6ku6krcmm/P3D-AS16-ASCA%20Settings%20Chart.xlsx?dl=0

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

From what I've been told, 4K is so bloody marvelous that it doesn't need anti-aliasing! :BigGrin:

Since I went 4K I dont think I could ever go back, marvelous is an understatement, you don't even need to touch AA. Im runing on a 55" Samsung JS8500, and wow, P3DV3 has never looked so good, not even close.

But what has anti aliasing got to do with shimmering? If you are seeing jagged edges then anti aliasing helps.. But shimmering is mostly z-order conflicting... Each of those objects trying to get on top of each other..

I just bought a 4k monitor and have been having some AA issues as well.  4x MSAA and 4x SGSS works in eliminating just about everything, but it absolutely cripples my performance on a 1060 and i5 6600k OC to 4.4ghz.  2x for both gets me much better performance but there is still a decent amount of shimmering with lights at night and thin objects such as fences and towers.  Even 4x MSAA alone takes a hit of about 5-10 FPS for me compared to 2x.  I'm still experimenting.  

Try 4x SuperSample (no Sparse Grid) in NI (enhance)  and 4xMS in P3d.

Set your monitor to 30Hz and set FPS to unlimited in Prepar3d, also turn on VSinc and triple buffering in P3d.  Note that if you can´t sustain 30 fps in P3d you´ll continue whit stutters in this configuration. Otherwise, if your hardware can mantain 30 FPS you´ll free stutters.

Try 4x AF in P3d , here it´s seems to give more performance near heavy clouds.

Hi. Some 50inch 4K TV's support 60Hz on 1 (or more) of the HDMI ports.

If your monitors supports this and you have the rig for it I suggest you use this port and set FPS to unlimited.

I often get 60FPS depending on plane, settings etc. You will be limited to 30FPS with a 30Hz monitor.

As others have said looks absolutely fantastic in 4K on a good quality TV

I recommend a 4K TV that supports both 30 Hz and 60 Hz so you can chose the best option based on FPS your system will maintain based on all your settings etc.

Note sometimes you have to dig deep into the specs of the TV to find that it will support 30 Hz natively. The Samsung UN40KU6300 series does this and I run the 40 inch model with no issues at 30 Hz and love it.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

I run mine at 25hz now and it helps with blurries and still looks pretty good. Is there any downside to this vs 30hz? It still runs pretty smooth and it helps me run complex addos without stutters if I can't maintain 30. Still working on the shimmering issues.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram