Sign in to follow this  
Nico1506

Touch down Effect

Hi,

I think there is no specific touchdown effect, the camera/head movement during touchdown is reproduced from the accel. turbulence settings and probably ground turbulence too.

Maxime
TOGA projects

Because we only use real data for our turbulence, touchdown effect is generated naturally with the acceleration and gyroscopic turbulence types.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Ok, because its a little bit to "hard", I think the transition between air and ground could be much smoother or softer at the landings.

Not saying you should work on your landings :wink:. But I think the effect is really nicely depending on how hard the touchdown is. If it is "a kiss" I hardly see any motion by Chaseplane, whereas a hard landing let's the cockpit shake a lot. Play around a little with the acceleration, gyroscopic and ground turbulence sliders; maybe turn them down a bit. A problem is that the ground turbulence is a little too strong at high speeds imho. I hope there will be an exponential decay tuning option for the ground turbulence soon.

I just published an update allowing you to tune those turbulence types

• Upvote 1

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Yeah the new update could tune this. Thanks.

Other question is, could it be that there are some stutters when I enable this VAS option?

Yeah the new update could tune this. Thanks.

Other question is, could it be that there are some stutters when I enable this VAS option?

Shouldn't be happening but since it's an Alpha... everything is possible.

Let me know if you are observing this behavior

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

I don't know how others are getting any touch down/landing effect, I've spent hours tuning gyro,accel and ground with no luck. Keven any chance that you guys can make a dedicated effect channel for this. Every video I see of RW cockpit landings the initial touch down is bumpy and the camera jolts. Every landing I do using chase plan (whether its smooth or heavy) the camera is basically motionless, until a about 1-2 seconds later when the ground effect kicks in.

Strange. I have a very noticeable effect of acceleration and gyroscopic on touchdown. Try to increase the Acceleration effect. I have set it to around 5 for testing.

I have set the acceleration high, however leaving it high exaggerates the heavy turbulence once in the air. I mostly set my AS2016 weather to heavy/moderate turbulence and strong cross winds to make it more challenging. 

Yes, that might be a problem. The suggested inertia tuning might help on this in future.

While testing the appropriate settings for a decent touchdown and ground braking / accelerating effect without exaggerating weather turbulence (increasing acceleration while decreasing gyroscopic seems to help a little), I got to thinking the acceleration effect at touchdown is inverted.

I am talking about the Y-axis of the acceleration effect (I've set all other turbulence types to zero to eliminate those for testing). On touchdown the camera viewpoint moves upwards so that the cockpit frame moves downwards on the screen.

But it should be vice versa on touchdown, shouldn't it? Because the downward movement on the Y-axis suddenly stops at touchdown there should be an upward acceleration effect so that the camera viewpoint moves downwards. Just as the camera viewpoint moves forward on a backward acceleration (i.e. braking, on the z-axis).

Or am I totally confused now?

Edit:

Another test. The Y-axis acceleration effect is correct when I descend and then pull the stick. The camera viewpoint moves downwards. It also is correct at the nose wheel touchdown. The camera viewpoint moves downwards. But at the main gear touchdown the camera viewpoint moves upwards. This is with the Aerosoft A319.

Maybe correct after all because the maingear touchdown induces a negative pitch effect that accelerates the cockpit downwards?

But not sure if something like that would be simulated in the Aerosoft Airbus (?)

And is Chaseplane able to detect different accelerations on different parts of the aircraft? E.G. on rotation (before positive rate) the cockpit moves upwards while the rear moves downwards?

• Upvote 1