Sign in to follow this  
craig_read

P3D V3.4 Worse for VAS?

Please make sure you are informed about the functionality of SimStarter before making assumptions what it does. It does not throw in unwanted settings, only what the user told it to change.

I did not make an assumption and did a Google on it to see what it does.  I'm not saying it automatically does this (although I agree you might read that into my comments).  I did look at the Interface and read the information about the product.  Your comments are not appreciated as you made a wrong assumption. 

If you are a commercial member, please let me know so I can change your tag to a Commercial Member.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Back onto topic, I'm flying with all my scenery on (on purpose, I know how stupid this really is but I wanted to see if it would work) and that's a lot.. EHAM to KLAX in the PMDG 777-300ER (KLM livery from EHAM of course).. so far 9 hours in and no OOM on P3D v3.3.5.. the Project Fly tool VAS monitor is hovering around 83%..

Craig Read, EGLL

Glad to hear things are getting better.  Hopefully it will stay like that but long flights (over 3 hours) will be difficult to avoid an OOM especially during the landing phase.  Your system can only take so much.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Glad to hear things are getting better.  Hopefully it will stay like that but long flights (over 3 hours) will be difficult to avoid an OOM especially during the landing phase.  Your system can only take so much.

Best regards,

Jim

Yeah I'm not counting my chickens yet lol soon starting descent.

Craig Read, EGLL

So.. OOM was close at the end.. I did have 1 crash close to landing, then another on the ground both annoying.. the one on landing was the Menu.dll crash (I think caused by the fact my camera.cfg had stuff in it for v3.4, I've since rebuilt camera.cfg and hoping that goes away, dml.xml, no duplicates in both copies, I realise there are two..) the next was because I was trying to use GSX at the Gate and couatl crashed the sim (I was being a bit click happy with the menus)..

On approach, even with the re-load I was getting warnings with the chime that OOM was imminent while I was on final...  Difficult to be sure since I had to reset the sim on descent, but I didn't ever get as far with P3D v3.4 (even with a lot of scenery disabled) so I am inclined to think performance with P3D v3.3.5 is better than v3.4 as far as VAS is concerned for my setup.. even with the hotfix.. I will try again later on.. I'm hoping a new release comes out soon and that is a smoother transition.. it's a shame because I like my long hauls!

Cheers

Craig Read, EGLL