Sign in to follow this  
Paulvanvondelen

X-plane 11 frame rates

Hello,

I have installed the X-plane 11 demo to see if this is a package I want to use besides my Prepar3d. So I'm new to the simulator.

I notice a very low frame rate (around 14 fps) and it tried to lower the settings but actually it does not seem to have any influence (it Always rewmains around the same fps).

I think my PC is up to spec (i7 5820K, 16GB memory, GTX980).

Am I overlooking something. I'm puzzled because none of the changes I make seem to have any problem. I want to make sure I can fly properly before I purchase the package.

Thanks,

Paul.

As more and more complex addons are loaded on top of any sim, the performance is going to decline.  Enviro-X and related cloud/weather injectors impact XP11 in the same fashion that those types of apps affect FSX and P3d. It's just a matter of time ...

Even with a 4 year old system, I always had good performance with XP10, but now with a brand new i7 6700, a GTX 1080 and 32 GB RAM, I can barely pull 25-30 fps. Take away all the addon scenery, the RXP GTN 750, the RWD Turbine Duke, FSGRW and SMP 4 and everything perks right up.

It's the user, not the sim.

Thanks for the feedback. I changed the setting but it does not make a difference. The FPS Always is around the 15 fps regardless of the settings (like it is limited to this number).

I think my specs are OK so I do not understand why I do not see any change in FPS when making changes to thesettings (not for better and not for worse).

CU,

Paul.

The simple version is to set everything to minimum and proceed to adjust one setting at a time until you see the framerates dip, then dial it back one notch and move on to the next setting.

LOL That's the best performance guide ever... ;)

Are you flying with clouds present? They're 100% density right now and will kill your performance. I guess I should say they could kill your performance. Some people are reporting good performance in clouds. Not me.

If we get a cloud density slider like XP10 then we'll be ok.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hello, thanks for the feedback.

The issue is that I can make changes in the settings but it seems to have no effect at all. It is Always around 15 fps (give an take 2 frames) like there is a setting which holds the fps back :-). Currently after the last update I can not start X-plane so I can not further check till that is fixed.

I would probably put a bug report into laminar with that, as said some users are experiencing low frames regardless of settings, maybe holding off for a few more releases until it's resolved, your hardware shouldn't be giving 15fps

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

i have been an x-plane user for over a year now. in x-plane 10 i get my normal 60 fps on the ground and 90+ in the air with payware planes. x-plane 11 on the other hand i can't get my fps over 30 unless i turn half my sliders down. i keep in mind that this is beta, but each beta that comes out,it does seem to get worse.

I find my FPS has plummeted in just a month. I shall wait to see if things improve. VR seems to be getting all the love at this time, so maybe later.

hm, can you check if you have "Use Vsync" under Graphics disabled.

It would lock your framerate to the screen frequency. I have never heard it locking to 15, but it is worth checking.

X-plane is both CPU and GPU limited. Can you provide the output of the fps counters ? Press CTRL-Shift-F in flight, it will show up in the left upper corner. It has several outputs, please give them all, then we can see what is holding you back, CPU or GPU.

What is impacting my framerate: 

GPU side:  draw shadows on scenery, Visual Effects (keep it one down from max), Antilalising

CPU side: Reflection Detail: lower reflection, then lower it, then lower it. Reflection has the biggest impact known to me, I think a water cooled hyper overclocked latest gen CPU is still not pulling it.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, acenickells said:

I find my FPS has plummeted in just a month. I shall wait to see if things improve. VR seems to be getting all the love at this time, so maybe later.

Apart from other suggestions made, you might also just want to try and delete (i.e. move elsewhere/backup and delete) your preferences folder and see if that improves your issues.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, acenickells said:

So many seem to miss teh point, for VR to work, Laminar have to improve frame rates, its not Just a bout VR. All the improvements to get VR to work improve teh sim for everyone. Thats why so many have reported better frame rates and now AMD cards appear to have got a fix.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2