Sign in to follow this  
PE 185

Overclock or Upgrade Card

My first post as I typically find answers through previous posts.  My PC specs are as follows:  I-7 6700 CPU with a Nvidia GTX 745 @ 3.4 ghz, running on Windows 10 Home, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB HD.  I bought it a couple of years ago off the shelf so I know it's nothing all that impressive of a PC, but overall it runs FSX pretty well.  The only tweaks that I've performed is through the AVSIM guide.

So I get a consistent 30 fps while flying, but on final and at the airport (add-on with My traffic 6 at 20%) it typically drops to 11-13 fps.  It's not terrible, but gets a little sluggish while turning.  Also ground rendering is slow while flying.

I would like to purchase the PMDG 737 but am concerned that this aircraft will be a disappointment due to my frame rates already bordering on so-so performance.

Should I attempt to overclock to get this over 4.0 ghz (I have no cooling other than the factory fan), or should I just upgrade somewhere, such as a better video card ?

Thanks in advance.

That video card is low end. Typical from Best Buy or wherever you bought it

If the power supply is good enough I'd suggest a GTX 960 to replace it

The 6700 (non K version) is still a great CPU

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

.. and if it is indeed a 6700 (non K) you cannot overclock it.

Bert

Get a new video card as Bert has stated no K no OC is possible - OC video card is a waste of time not to mention you will damage it - doesnt take much to do that for hardly any gain 

Rich Sennett

Thank you both.  I'm non techie, so would this card fit the bill (sorry there are so many options) ?......

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 960 SUPERCLOCKED GAMING ACX 2.0 2GB GDDR5 128BIT PCI-E 3.0 1

Also, would you mind recommending an upgraded cord as well.

There are a few settings and tweaks you can do which will likely provide some improvement.

You didn't mention which simulator you're using, so I won't address tweaks but you can refer to the AVSIM Configuration Guide to help you.  You're setting stuttering, so it's likely something needs to be tweaked, though it's entirely possible the stuttering could be caused by running at an Unlimited frame rate.

Whether you're using FSX or P3D... if you haven't already, change from Antialising to Ansiotrophic Filtering. This would provide increased frames, especially when there are clouds and/or precipitation.

Also, check for NVIDIA Inspector Settings for the 700 Series Card. You'll likely see some benefit in smoothness and possibly frame rates by  a good NVIDIA Inspector Profile.

Set your frame rate to somewhere between 35 to 40fps.  We used to recommend 30fps, but 35 to 40fps on a system like yours will likely prove better even if you can't sustain that frame rate, and if you're already running at 30 then I think you'll improve your performance when below 18,000ft and within 10 miles of a large airport.

Finally, reducing graphics settings to improve rate rates is always a good idea if you can't sustain 20fps and you want higher performance.

I hope this is helpful to you.

My very best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thank you both.  I'm non techie, so would this card fit the bill (sorry there are so many options) ?......

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 960 SUPERCLOCKED GAMING ACX 2.0 2GB GDDR5 128BIT PCI-E 3.0 1

Also, would you mind recommending an upgraded cord as well.

That card will be just fine... not sure about the cord, though..

Bert