Sign in to follow this  
exodus1977

Using HD Mesh V3

I just downloaded some HD Mesh V3 for North America to try out in XP 11. I noticed that it will take a bit of file manipulation to get all the subfolders into the proper configuration for installation. Not hard, but maybe a bit time consuming. Anyone come up with a good hack to extract all the individual subfolders into one Earth Nav Data folder?

Isn't there only one file you have to put in one folder everytime...? Slightly time consuming at most. Open the zip (don't extract) and drag the appropriate file into the Earth NAV Data folder. Posting this probably took more time. ;)

Isn't there only one file you have to put in one folder everytime...? Slightly time consuming at most. Open the zip (don't extract) and drag the appropriate file into the Earth NAV Data folder. Posting this probably took more time. ;)

You know this, I know this but some folks need guidance.  By the way the OP talks, he's looking for a quick, one button solution to have all of his downloaded meshes miraculously appear in the earth nav folder. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

It might be a result of the mindset from different sims that use installers for everything.

To reiterate: In X-Plane, at least for scenery and mostly for adding aircraft, you just use the native Windows/Mac/Linux folders. Drag and drop into whatever location the instructions require and you're done. As a side benefit, it's super easy to transfer all your X-Plane stuff to a different drive, or new computer.

It's actually a good thing that HD and UHD mesh doesn't use an installer, because you can select whatever areas you want and leave the rest.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

It might be a result of the mindset from different sims that use installers for everything.

To reiterate: In X-Plane, at least for scenery and mostly for adding aircraft, you just use the native Windows/Mac/Linux folders. Drag and drop into whatever location the instructions require and you're done. As a side benefit, it's super easy to transfer all your X-Plane stuff to a different drive, or new computer.

It's actually a good thing that HD and UHD mesh doesn't use an installer, because you can select whatever areas you want and leave the rest.

It's one of the things I really love about XP! Bought my first addon planes last week: unzipped the downloads, copied the folders to the aircraft folder... DONE! Soooooo easy!!! And indeed, while reinstalling my OS always resulted in a few hours of reinstall all my addons, with XP I reinstall the OS... DONE again! XP works just like that! Awesome.

I just downloaded all 134 gigs of it and installed it so I know what he is talking about when I wanted to install all 100+ of them.

If you are using a mac then you could write a script but I am guessing if you knew how to do that you wouldnt be asking :)  

I was doing it on a pc and with 7zip I was able to exctract all 100+ files in one operation but then I had to manually copy all the directories in to the earth nav folder by hand.

If I was to offer one piece of advise to Andreas it would be to zip them up with the 'earth nav data' folder included in the zip path, that way I could extract all the files in to my hd mesh directory and they would all unzip in the correct place so there is no need to move them by hand afterwards.

Yes I also like the way xplane does things, having been a unix user for 30 years it's nice and familiar but in this instance it could be easier but it's not and no one is complaining, just asking :)

If I was to offer one piece of advise to Andreas it would be to zip them up with the 'earth nav data' folder included in the zip path, that way I could extract all the files in to my hd mesh directory and they would all unzip in the correct place so there is no need to move them by hand afterwards.

Dude, this work is FREE, maybe you ought to DONATE a few hundred for the work he has already done.

So you have to manually move folders.... are you really that lazy?

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

I just downloaded all 134 gigs of it and installed it so I know what he is talking about when I wanted to install all 100+ of them.

If you are using a mac then you could write a script but I am guessing if you knew how to do that you wouldnt be asking :)  

I was doing it on a pc and with 7zip I was able to exctract all 100+ files in one operation but then I had to manually copy all the directories in to the earth nav folder by hand.

Yes I also like the way xplane does things, having been a unix user for 30 years it's nice and familiar but in this instance it could be easier but it's not and no one is complaining, just asking :)

Thank you... someone gets what I was talking about. I'm just looking for a quick windows file transfer hack/script...

Downloaded HD Mesh V3 for North America and using it in XP11 it appears to be better - only downside is the sim is a bit slower to load

Rich Sennett

H2egc, as I said, no one was complaining, just asking.  No need to be rude.

I just did it with 100+  files and it is a lot more work than doing one or two, I tried to explain how I did it.   Would I complain over free work?  Absolutely not!   

There is no harm helping someone that is not familiar though.

It's that pesky extra folder layer that prevents a direct unzip to the earth data nav folder in XP.  So the author makes us work for it...small sacrifice for free, right?

Although...

A modest donation to the author IS in order, just to make sure he knows it is appreciated.  :smile:

Downloaded HD Mesh V3 for North America and using it in XP11 it appears to be better - only downside is the sim is a bit slower to load

You make a good point with a theory I have:  Despite the obvious, being that the textures aren't optimized yet and could contribute to lower fps, could the HD mesh also be a culprit?  If so, that would put my mind at ease and if I found the lower fps was too much of an issue, I could just move that mesh folder out of the XP directory.

Gotta love the flexibility of X-Plane.  :dance:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

It's that pesky extra folder layer that prevents a direct unzip to the earth data nav folder in XP.  So the author makes us work for it...small sacrifice for free, right?

Although...

A modest donation to the author IS in order, just to make sure he knows it is appreciated.  :smile:

You make a good point with a theory I have:  Despite the obvious, being that the textures aren't optimized yet and could contribute to lower fps, could the HD mesh also be a culprit?  If so, that would put my mind at ease and if I found the lower fps was too much of an issue, I could just move that mesh folder out of the XP directory.

Gotta love the flexibility of X-Plane.  :dance:

Good point Jim

Rich Sennett

​Jason,

I wasn't being rude, the man has donated hours and hours of his time to this community, I just find your statement very self-centered.

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

Nothing I said has taken away from that.

Take my post in context, as a reply to the OP.   He is new and wanted to understand if there was an easier way, I explained there wasn't but if the folders arrangement was different then perhaps there could be.

I think it's better to have posts that address the questions than posts that tell people they should be grateful and not be lazy.

I am happy with my contribution to help the OP, yours does nothing. 

Thank you... someone gets what I was talking about. I'm just looking for a quick windows file transfer hack/script...

OK, what you can do if you use 7zip is to copy all of your zip files to the earth nav directory.

Then select them all in the windows file manager and right click, choose 7zip->extract here.

That will extract the data without the zipfile name as the base directory, so the directory +20xxxx etc will go directly in to the earth nav directory and will do all your files in one click.

This of course doesnt need the file structure changed in the zip files so I am sorry for thinking out loud! :)  You do get a solution that only requires a couple clicks to do all 100+ files though.

Got there in the end.

• Upvote 4