Sign in to follow this  
exodus1977

Using HD Mesh V3

Oh my ... a lot of fuss about - I think - a simple task :smile:

I have to admit, that i am an "old time IT professional" and thus might assume, that many tasks on the PC that they are trivial (but this is not necessary true for "less computer literate" users as I found out in many support mails). Nevertheless, for the sake of platform independence (Linux, Mac, Windows) and to give you all the freedom, I will definitely not go to supply installers. Neither do I intend to make "one big ZIP" file, because at over 100 Gbytes that would be completely insane .... and neither would it make it easy to supply new regions (because I usually tend to release a few of those changes  / additions over time). It would make necessary to re-do (re-upload) the entire ZIP file ... and for the users to re-downlaod it all. No, sorry, but this make no sense and takes away the last bit of flexibility.

But I never thought that all this file juggling is really that hard (at least for users who have used a file manager and an unzip tool  a few times). My way of "mass installation" would be :

• download all ZIP files you need in a temp folder
  • mark them all, and let your unzip tool unzip them all at one in the temp folder (this should result in a couple of +xx+yyy stile folders ... one for each ZIP file)
  • mark all the resulting subfolders and move / copy / drag-and-drop them at once in the "Earth nav data"

I think the manual part needed on the user side here is neglectable compared to the time needed for downloading and unzipping.

• Upvote 1

Oh my ... a lot of fuss about - I think - a simple task :smile:

I have to admit, that i am an "old time IT professional" and thus might assume, that many tasks on the PC that they are trivial (but this is not necessary true for "less computer literate" users as I found out in many support mails). Nevertheless, for the sake of platform independence (Linux, Mac, Windows) and to give you all the freedom, I will definitely not go to supply installers. Neither do I intend to make "one big ZIP" file, because at over 100 Gbytes that would be completely insane .... and neither would it make it easy to supply new regions (because I usually tend to release a few of those changes  / additions over time). It would make necessary to re-do (re-upload) the entire ZIP file ... and for the users to re-downlaod it all. No, sorry, but this make no sense and takes away the last bit of flexibility.

But I never thought that all this file juggling is really that hard (at least for users who have used a file manager and an unzip tool  a few times). My way of "mass installation" would be :

• download all ZIP files you need in a temp folder
  • mark them all, and let your unzip tool unzip them all at one in the temp folder (this should result in a couple of +xx+yyy stile folders ... one for each ZIP file)
  • mark all the resulting subfolders and move / copy / drag-and-drop them at once in the "Earth nav data"

I think the manual part needed on the user side here is neglectable compared to the time needed for downloading and unzipping.

Yeah, and why folks don't really take the time to plan are those who complain.  It's a good approach Andras, and once again, thank you for your time and efforts.

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Yeah, and why folks don't really take the time to plan are those who complain.  It's a good approach Andras, and once again, thank you for your time and efforts.

Nobody is complaining. Read the thread, word for word. It is a simple question and a simple answer was eventually given. The only people making something out of this are those giving irrelevant and vaguely condescending responses. I'd be happy at this point if a mod would just nuke this thread entirely as the intent was wholly derailed by a number of people. 

Nobody is complaining. Read the thread, word for word. It is a simple question and a simple answer was eventually given. The only people making something out of this are those giving irrelevant and vaguely condescending responses. I'd be happy at this point if a mod would just nuke this thread entirely as the intent was wholly derailed by a number of people. 

Well I did as you suggested, and since you started the thread, with no mention at any time for thanks for what Andras put together, I'd consider it ungrateful, but that's just me.  :smile:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Well, this is going nowhere, of course, this has become typical flightsim forum bickering topic, but I have to agree with exodus1977: he simply asked a simple question. It was a straightforward how-do-you-do-this-the-easy-way-in-Windows question. There is NO WAY ON EARTH the opening post can be called 'complaining' or 'ungrateful'!!! That really is RIDICULOUS. Seriously. He just asked for a tip. That is ALL. All the talk about complaining etc. came from others! And I can understand this is frustrating for him. So don't bother with it, exodus1977, let it go: unfortunately this simply is how flightsim forums work...

Read the OP again and tell me I am wrong.

I am sorry if my first post in this topic might have set the tone for all this: that certainly wasn't my intention.

Well I did as you suggested, and since you started the thread, with no mention at any time for thanks for what Andras put together, I'd consider it ungrateful, but that's just me.  :smile:

Really Jimm...because one doesn't specifically say "thanks" in a post it implies you are not grateful for the work someone has done.  OK, I'll have to remember that.  

BTW, thanks for bringing this to my attention.