Sign in to follow this  
klamal

A request to developers(especially FS2Crew and GSX)

Is there any chance at all that we can stop adding features that can't work most of the time due to whatever reason?

For example, FS2Crew...It is frustrating to push back in completely clear skies - No visible moisture/precip for miles and miles and miles - only to have the FO do his flap movement check!!  This is regardless of what setting you have in the config panel.  Mine is set to not do it, but he still does.  So, I guess for this point, fix that setting so that it is honored and that will take care of this complaint.

Another FS2Crew one still related to icing...Landing again in completely clear skies.  No icing conditions on the whole descent.  No moisture/precip again for miles and miles and miles.  And yet, what happens when I park at the gate and run the shutdown checklist?  Your flaps are still not up, captain.   :mad:   Why did you not put them up, you idiot FO!?!?!

GSX, same theme here...there is icing conditions in 90+% of all flights apparently.  Again, it doesn't matter that there is no visible moisture, precip, not a cloud in the sky for miles and miles and miles.  Every time, he says wait to start engines due to icing conditions.  Really!?!??!?

If we can't reliably detect situations like these, for whatever reason(sim limitation, our own knowledge level, whatever), then why even put the feature in?  It is more of a detraction from the immersion than anything else.  For the less than 10% of the time that it is actually right, it just isn't worth it.

Sorry, just me ranting a little I guess.  These overall are great products.  But, it's the little things like these that keep them from being really great and cause that slight loss of immersion because you are constantly thinking to yourself - "that wouldn't happen in real life".

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Are you sure you're setting things up correctly. I do not heave either issue. GSX will ask about de ice only from -10 to 10C when it thinks there might be moisture. FS2Crew only does movement checks if I set the contaminated cold weathered procedures in the configuration. I personally think it actually adds a lot to the immersion to have to think about these things...not detracting.

Eric Szczesniak

I do not heave either issue. GSX will ask about de ice only from -10 to 10C when it thinks there might be moisture

Yeah, but whatever its logic is is flawed.  Whether that be due to an FS limitation or its own logic.  it's wrong.  Just because the temp is in that range doesn't mean that it's icing conditions.  You need to have visible moisture too.  Or am I wrong?

FS2Crew only does movement checks if I set the contaminated cold weathered procedures in the configuration.

No, there is another topic on here too where other users are having issues with these settings not being honored.  I'm not telling it to do cold weather ops.  But it doesn't matter.  It does what it wants.

I personally think it actually adds a lot to the immersion to have to think about these things...not detracting

Of course, to each his own here.  For me, it's a detraction from the immersion when things are happening that wouldn't be in real life.  If there aren't icing conditions, don't do any of these icing related things!

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Yeah, but whatever its logic is is flawed. Whether that be due to an FS limitation or its own logic. it's wrong. Just because the temp is in that range doesn't mean that it's icing conditions. You need to have visible moisture too. Or am I wrong?

You're mostly correct (there's a few other things like if you flew in through icing conditions), but it seems like a waste to totally remove this feature just because you have to click a box that says "no thanks". 

Eric Szczesniak

And, GSX...You're primarily a tool to enhance airline operations, right?  Most airline operations are from gates.  Yes, I do know that in the EU at least, parking at stands where there are no jetways is a far more frequent occurrence than in the US.  But still, I would not think that that is the majority case.  So, why is the darn bus always on for every single airport position by default?  At least have an option to default to no passenger bus.  It stinks to have to tell GSX at every airport gate out there(with the exception of airports developed by fsdreamteam) that there is a jetway at every gate.  What a pain.  Give the option to globally disable, please?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

At least have an option to default to no passenger bus. It stinks to have to tell GSX at every airport gate out there(with the exception of airports developed by fsdreamteam) that there is a jetway at every gate. What a pain. Give the option to globally disable, please?

There already is that option. You can select by gate, terminal, parking, or the whole airport.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

There already is that option. You can select by gate, terminal, parking, or the whole airport.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying here.  I know that I can select where I want to park on the airport.  What I'm saying though is that when you park at a gate(which is probably most often the case in airline type operations - with exceptions of course), the passenger bus should not show up.  It would be nice if there was a way to have no passenger bus be default for all airports parking spots vs the way it is now where the passenger bus is always there for all parking spots(with the exception being airports that they've developed themselves).

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

I have found it odd too that GSX is all about that Icing Condition.   I look outside and there isn't a cloud for 300 miles in any direction.  "Don't start them engines!   You might kill us all because of icing conditions!!!!!!!"    It is a bit annoying, especially if you use FS Captain and you are on a timed schedule and you have to waste 5 extra minutes to start up the engines after FM Bill gets out of the way and says its cool to start the engines.   It should be done a little better.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I have found it odd too that GSX is all about that Icing Condition.   I look outside and there isn't a cloud for 300 miles in any direction.  "Don't start them engines!   You might kill us all because of icing conditions!!!!!!!"    It is a bit annoying, especially if you use FS Captain and you are on a timed schedule and you have to waste 5 extra minutes to start up the engines after FM Bill gets out of the way and says its cool to start the engines.   It should be done a little better.

The only way GSX has to determine if deicing is appropriate is by temperature, which is why it gives you the option, if you don't want to deice just say no. No big deal. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The only way GSX has to determine if deicing is appropriate is by temperature, which is why it gives you the option, if you don't want to deice just say no. No big deal. 

Funny.  FS Captain is using many factors to run its icing simulation on the wings and engines in a far more realistic fashion.   That's why I look at FS Captain before engine start to see if there is a real icing problem and it doesn't matter if you refuse  icing from GSX the Mashaller will still tell you to keep them engines off while they push because it may destroy half the airport and cause an Earthquake in California that makes it slide off into the ocean.  +5C be damned!     :wink:

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

So, why is the darn bus always on for every single airport position by default?  At least have an option to default to no passenger bus.  It stinks to have to tell GSX at every airport gate out there(with the exception of airports developed by fsdreamteam) that there is a jetway at every gate.  What a pain.  Give the option to globally disable, please?

GSX doesn't call a Passenger bus on "every single airport position". It correctly checks the scenery AFCAD, to see if there's a jetway and if there is one, it won't call a Passenger Bus or the front Staircase vehicles.

This of course doesn't have anything to do with the scenery made by FSDT, since the jetway is a standard feature of the AFCAD, so it will work with all default airports, and all 3rd party airports made with standard jetways and with recent versions, even with SODE jetways.

Of course, if have have a 3rd party scenery with static/fake jetways, there's no way GSX can detect them automatically.

But of course, GSX being the flexible program that it is, if you have such airports, you can easily customize them in minutes (only once, then it's saved in a custom airport .INI file), by selecting all parking positions that have a static jetway, and enable the relevant flag.

This can be done all in one click, just CTRL+Select all required parkings at once, and enable the jetway. If you know a whole terminal has jetways in all positions, just click on the terminal root name on the left, and it will select all parkings at once so, it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to do so, and you do it only the first time you use one of such airports.

• Upvote 1

Umberto  you  cant please  everyone,  keep up the good  work and looking  fwd  to the next update  of gsx  your  planning

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

GSX doesn't call a Passenger bus on "every single airport position". It correctly checks the scenery AFCAD, to see if there's a jetway and if there is one, it won't call a Passenger Bus or the front Staircase vehicles.

This of course doesn't have anything to do with the scenery made by FSDT, since the jetway is a standard feature of the AFCAD, so it will work with all default airports, and all 3rd party airports made with standard jetways and with recent versions, even with SODE jetways.

Of course, if have have a 3rd party scenery with static/fake jetways, there's no way GSX can detect them automatically.

But of course, GSX being the flexible program that it is, if you have such airports, you can easily customize them in minutes (only once, then it's saved in a custom airport .INI file), by selecting all parking positions that have a static jetway, and enable the relevant flag.

This can be done all in one click, just CTRL+Select all required parkings at once, and enable the jetway. If you know a whole terminal has jetways in all positions, just click on the terminal root name on the left, and it will select all parkings at once so, it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to do so, and you do it only the first time you use one of such airports.

Ok. So that makes sense. But still I ask, is there not a way where we can have it so that by default EVERY parking space, no matter whether it has a default jetway or not, can have the bus disabled - GLOBALLY. So that when people operate primarily airline operations at 3rd party sceneries don't have to manually go and tell it not to put a bus anywhere. I realize it's easy and takes a few minutes. But it's still a pain and would be nice to just have one switch for the whole planet.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

So that when people operate primarily airline operations at 3rd party sceneries don't have to manually go and tell it not to put a bus anywhere. I realize it's easy and takes a few minutes. But it's still a pain and would be nice to just have one switch for the whole planet.

But then, you would still have to switch it off when you go to an airport that have both proper jetways AND parkings in the apron, otherwise the Passenger bus and the Stairs will not arrive when you are parked on the apron.

And, we would be flooded by support questions by users that forgot to have the option enabled, asking why they don't have the Bus and the Stairs anymore, exactly like when someone complains about GSX not working, only to realize he forgot to set the parking brakes and he forgot he decided to move the "Verbosity" switch all the way down, so he couldn't see the message from GSX telling WHY it could't start. Happens all the time...

Global options to fix problems caused only by some sceneries, are very dangerous, because they can be easily mistaken for a GSX bug, if you forget you set them. That's why the customization is made per-scenery. Again, it takes only a minute to do it, and you do it only once for each scenery.

But then, you would still have to switch it off when you go to an airport that have both proper jetways AND parkings in the apron, otherwise the Passenger bus and the Stairs will not arrive when you are parked on the apron.

And, we would be flooded by support questions by users that forgot to have the option enabled, asking why they don't have the Bus and the Stairs anymore, exactly like when someone complains about GSX not working, only to realize he forgot to set the parking brakes and he forgot he decided to move the "Verbosity" switch all the way down, so he couldn't see the message from GSX telling WHY it could't start. Happens all the time...

Global options to fix problems caused only by some sceneries, are very dangerous, because they can be easily mistaken for a GSX bug, if you forget you set them. That's why the customization is made per-scenery. Again, it takes only a minute to do it, and you do it only once for each scenery.

But, this is why I'm saying, make it an OPTION.  So a user such as myself can turn it off everywhere.  By default, you can ship the way it is - with buses all over the place.  But, for those like me that use a lot of 3rd party scenery that apparently have no way for you to detect there's a jetway, let me shut it off everywhere with the flip of a switch or check of a checkbox.  That way both sides are covered.  And on the 1 out of 100 airports that I park at that is not at a gate, I can then customize that one airport to bring the bus for that spot.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal