Sign in to follow this  
JiBrady

1 FPS unusable

I just downloaded the beta, for x-plane 11. The performance is so bad that I can not use it.  I guess it is 1 FPS slide show.  I run FSX with high settings and get at least 30 FPS even with PMDG 737 and all other aircraft add--ons. My CPU is intel I7, 940.  My video is GTX 460 card.

How is it possible that I only get 1 FPS slide show with their demo?

Thanks,

JIm

did you read  the pin at the top of the page??

I just downloaded the beta, for x-plane 11. The performance is so bad that I can not use it.  I guess it is 1 FPS slide show.  I run FSX with high settings and get at least 30 FPS even with PMDG 737 and all other aircraft add--ons. My CPU is intel I7, 940.  My video is GTX 460 card.

Thanks,

JIm

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

Thanks,

JIm

your gpu is too weak for xp11

• Upvote 1

Wow that's an ancient card

Still it might not be the issue (though I suspect it is)

Have you tried the XP10 demo? See how it runs that.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have X-Plane 10 (Steam) running reasonably well.
I have X-Plane 11 running reasonably well, even to beta 4.
I installed beta 5 and there was brutal fall of fps, where I had the 30 I am now 20, in some situations it plummets to 12 fps.
Wait for beta 6, 10, 1000 ...
FX-8350, R9 280, 24 GB RAM

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

Oh boy that's what happened to me from beta 2 to beta 3, but I'm going to roll the dice again by upgrading to beta 5...

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Your card certainly won't be helping but I think you should be able to do better.

It might be a matter of turning the settings well down past where you think they should be based on what you do for FSX.

KSEA on the ground is a bit intensive so see what happens in the air as well.  

It could be some other conflict as well.

I agree about possible conflict. However not so sure I agree about my older GTX460 card.  This card works very good with FSX, most of my setting are set high, and it runs very well delivering 30 FPS or more.  I was told FSX uses the intel processor (my I 7) to do a lot of the video processing (because FSX was designed before the video cards became so powerful).  Now perhaps x-plane depends on the video card, more than the I 7 processor?  This might be the answer. I am not sure.

X-Plane uses the GPU more than FSX, as do Prepar3D and other modern games. 

The reasons you're getting a slide show is probably because you haven't done this in the NVidia control panel: http://www.avsim.com/topic/500955-important-turn-threaded-optimization-off-in-nvidia-control-panel/

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

did you turn of threaded optimization ? especially on weaker cards this will cause a grinding halt of 1-5fps

did you turn of threaded optimization ? especially on weaker cards this will cause a grinding halt of 1-5fps

You need to clarify this. I think you mean having it ON will eat fps

-Roland

I agree about possible conflict. However not so sure I agree about my older GTX460 card. This card works very good with FSX...

FSX is over a decade old.  Not really a good point of comparison.

• Upvote 1

I see strange things in X-Plane 10 or 11.
In 11 they are more aggressive.
Boeing 737 and MD 80, I click on CDU and when I enter flight plan information the frames drop a lot.
So on back CDU to pedestal, the frames remain low, so I click on INDEX, CDU keeps running but frames return to normal.
In airplanes with GPS, Cessna, C-90 and Baron we turn off power that feeds panel instruments the frames increase a lot, mainly in Cessna.
I understand that FSX or P3D are different simulators, and also there is the same effect, but on a small scale.
In 737 NGX I just turn CDU to pedestal and frames normalize, back to before.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

You need to clarify this. I think you mean having it ON will eat fps

it is a common misconcetiption regarding threaded optimization. The feature does not eat fps per se. you might not even notice it beeing on.

Bascially usually x-plane opens enough threads to run the sim effectivley so it is not really needed to have the function on. It does not harm you either howeever when your running your system at a normal load. However when you are pushing the system and too many threads are open, the system does not slow down, it grinds to an absolute halt. So usually when you have 1-10fps in 95% of the cases threaded optimization is the culprit of the problem. if you have 20-30 fps then it might help you, but ususally you wont notice a big difference.

OK, I now have turn off threaded optimization.  It seem to have no difference for me, still the 1 FPS unusable flight sim.  So then I went into settings and reduced just about everything I could turn down.  Well the FPS did increase, but the visual quality was very very bad.  I could not even read the text located below the knobs on the panel.  So this tells me it is most likely my old GTX460 card.  As I said, I have very good FPS running FSX, with most settings set high.  But not with this sim product.

Most likely I will look into buying a new system sometime this year.

One question I do have, when in setting there was a setting for FPS.  It had on the low end of the scale "0" and on the high end it showed a "10".  Is this what it look like on your system? Is the SIM estimating I cant get better than 10 FPS?

Thanks for all the inputs.

Jim