Sign in to follow this  
Shinjo

Punted back and forth by tower and ground

Hi .. attempted an IFR flight out of KSJC, destination KSAC. Was parked on the south end of the field, told to taxi to 30R via Whiskey, hold short at 30R. Wasn't given any instruction to hold at 30L so I crossed 30L and held at 30R.

Ground didn't tell me to contact tower, so I told ground I was holding short 30R, at which point they told me to contact tower. I switched to tower frequency and told them I was holding short 30R, ready for departure. I was then told to contact ground for taxi instructions.

This happened twice. The first time I was able to get past it by letting ground give me taxi instructions again, and was able to fly the flight plan. Tried the same flight plan a second time and had the same issue ... I couldn't get past it and gave up.

I read a thread somewhere that suggested getting close to the line before contacting tower. Which I did, but no joy. Any ideas?

Another oddity, when I was able to get off the ground from SJC I few into KSAC via the RWY02 ILS. When I was in the middle of the procedure turn Approach told me to contact them when I was ready for departure, and then never handed me off to tower. I was able to land but never got contact with ATC after that point. After digging into it I think this might be due to the tower being closed and the tower frequency reverting to CTAF.

If you're using XP then the problem is most likely this. Correct me if I'm wrong but P2A reads airports from FSX making taxi instructions in XP very poor. A lot of  times my taxi instructions are incomplete, are missing holding points on runaway crossings and I also had a few cases, which sounds like the problem you had, where the holding point for the takeoff runaway was too far from the runaway creating the issue you're describing.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Thanks for the reply and apologies, really stupid of me to not list this in the first place.

Prepar3d v3.4.18

Windows 10 64-bit Home

i7-4790K/GTX 970

This was flown using the RealAir Legacy v2. Orbx Northern Cal full region, though with no additional SJC airport scenery. 

I just tried it with the new 2.1.0.2 version and had no issues getting off on 30R at KSJC.

Be sure you are going to the very end of the runway, including the overrun at KSJC.  If you press the Taxi button to the right of the map, it will show you an approximate route and that will end where it's expecting you to go.

Dave