Sign in to follow this  
ray123

New PC for FSX

Hello everybody,

My addiction for FSX has grown very much the last years and now with the PMDG 737 my laptop can't handle it anymore. (core 2 duo 1.83ghz, 4gb ram, ati radeon mobility T5550)

Currently I'm not capable to spend a lot of money so I found one second hand for under 200 euros...

AMD Phenom II Quadcore 3.2 Ghz

AMD ATI HD 7970 3GB

8 GB RAM

1.5 TB HDD

Would this be good enough for FSX + ORBX package + PMDG 737?

Thanks very much!  :good:

Is that really such a difference?

Ps4 is all AMD and that thing almost takes off :)

I've made a deal for 150 euros. Thats a bargain.

The others ones are 300+ euros

Intel's CPU's have been proven to be far better at handling MicroSoft's Flight Sim engine than AMD's processors.  Back when it was between the Intel Celeron/Pentium and AMD Athlon, AMD held the high ground.  But with the introduction of the Intel Core2Duo, then Core2Quad, then the i-series processors, AMD simply could not hold their advantage.  Sure, AMD's multi-core processors are just as fast when it comes to pure speed, but it is how the processor handles tasks that gives Intel's products the advantage when it comes to CPU intensive programs such as FSX.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Is that really such a difference?

Massive difference in FSX/P3D, AMD have never performed to the level of Intel with this codebase.

Well... I just installed FSX and it runs very smooth with all the sliders to the right.

Now PMDG... thats another story I think :)

Well... I just installed FSX and it runs very smooth with all the sliders to the right.

Now PMDG... thats another story I think :)

I intend to upgrade in a few months, more later. First if I may ask? What motherboard and socket do you have? In a very short time period you will see some rather drastic price drops. AMD is coming out with a new CPU that will match closely and possibly beat Intels offerings. Don't listen to those who say it will never happen, it happened before and it can happen again. The new AMD CPU looks real good and will drive Intels Price points down. 

​If you got hold of a desktop machine with a socket AM3+ you may be able to pick up a CPU for almost nothing shortly. I run an AMD 8350 @ 4.7GHz on an old ASUS Sabertooth Rev-1 mobo with 8 GB ram. I recently purchased a AMD/ATI XFX RX-480. I paid $239.00 at Best Buy. With a clean install of Dovetails on sale $5.00 copy of FSX.

​The best way to handle and older machine with FSX boxed on it is to reformat your HD. This will wipe out your old registry keys that will inter fear with your new FSX-SE install. Unless you really know how to use the registry you will get into more trouble than you can imagine, best to reformat.

Next check with your mobo's website for updated BIOS  chipset and audio drivers etc.

When you do a clean install of FSX-SE you do not have to worry about permissions or anything like that, leave user control alone, let it install into C: Program Files(x86). Their is NO need to install into the root directory, makes NO difference at all! I do advise you to go into the exceptions menu of any virus or adware and prevent it from screwing around with FSX particularly the real time virus stuff that wants to look at every file while you trying to run the program. That's OK for office stuff, not flight sims.

Dovetail made some pretty good improvements with a recompile, big improvement in VAS and memory management with respect to graphics in particular.

With my rig I was able to fly PMDG;s 737NGX without any issues at all using the FSX Gold Boxed Edition. The PMDG 777-200 was another story. No OOM's, no stutters, could make long flights across the pond ...but! At certain airports the frame rates dropped rather quickly. No CTD, no blue screens etc. just a loss in fluidity. A clean install of FSX_SE cured all of those issues. After the install you will see all folders named FSX, not FSX-SE. Seems to help with addon's.

FSX runs my PMDG aircraft with 40-50 FPS, never have I seen it drop below 24-25 at any airport. the fluidity is great. Sure a super computer is great, had a few like dual CPU

machines that ran FS 9 @ over 100 FPS. Sounded like PMDG's 747 too.

When I was specking out Amiga Machine the Motorola 68000 CPU cost $1,500.00, when they folded you could pick em up $4.95.

Good luck!

BaldyB