Sign in to follow this  
dgibbens0708

Working B777 Freeware?

Hello All,

After many years away from FS, I have become very interested again and installed FSX Steam Edition and logged many many hours over the holidays.  Over the past two weeks I have been looking for a good solid working freeware add-on for a B777, preferably -300ER but a -200 will do (as a GE Aviation engineer my preference is a model with GE90-115B engines  :smile:).

I have done extensive searches and have found lots of links to POSKY and MELJET models, and have found some that have no VC, others that have a VC that only has about 2 functioning buttons, one where the engines were "blacked out", several where gauges are blank, etc.  I have spent countless hours looking at various sites and trying instructions on how/where to configure and place panel and gauge folders, files, etc. and am at my wit's end.

This is my last ditch effort... is there a known B777 freeware add-on out there with a working VC and similar features of the default FSX aircraft?  I have no desire to pay for PMDG, nor do I want or need that level of immersion.  I am fine with the level of detail in doing starts from cold and dark cockpit in default FSX aircraft.

Barring any good advice from the knowledgeable experts of AVSIM, I will just continue to use the dinosaur B747-400 for my long hauls, which would be a shame.

Thanks in advance!

I concur... and I've got a few repaints in my hangar!

It also has an FMC  - that JB panels instrument panel is rather nice.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I think I will give this download a try also!  Since it's a ported over POSKY model, it will be interesting to see

if the tires smoke while taxiing.

Update:  Just as I remembered!  No alternate contact points and it's................

index.jpg

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Let us know if you need any help.  You have to edit your xml file to get the FMC to work; also, make sure you add your sid/star to your route before uploading to FMC. 

Matt King

I notice my FMC doesn't seem to be working fully either. I've read about the needed edits to the dll.xml (and maybe fonts needed too) but I don't think my installer has done this.

Can you please point me towards the required edits?

Warren

Warren

I notice my FMC doesn't seem to be working fully either. I've read about the needed edits to the dll.xml (and maybe fonts needed too) but I don't think my installer has done this.

Can you please point me towards the required edits?

Warren

Warren,

I haven't used this aircraft in many years; however, I think this what you need.  First, locate your dll.xml file.  It should be located here:

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Right Click on dll.xml and select edit.  Copy the entry below into the file being VERY careful to retain the structure.  Specifically, go to the end of the file and paste the below before the </SimBase.Document> entry and after the last </Launch.Addon> entry.  

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>jb777 fmc</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Path>Modules\jb777_fmc.dll</Path>

<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>

<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>

</Launch.Addon>

That's it, you should be good-to-go.  Don't worry about the fonts...

Matt King

Warren

Did you disable your antivirus and run the installer as Admin?  If not, give that a try and it should add those entries for you.  If not, maybe someone who has it installed can provide you with the appropriate entries and you can add them manually.  I'd be happy to provide them myself, but I don't have this aircraft installed.

I'm sure you're familar with editing the dll.xml file, but just In case you're not (or for the benefit of those who might read this later who may not be):

To add the entries manually to the dll.xml, backup your dll.xml file, then open the original with Notepad and add the entries following the exact format (spaces, etc.) of the other entries in the file, then save it.  I'd suggest placing the entries after "Visual Effects Tool" entries (if you have that) and before both the "FSUIPC" and "as_connect" entries (if you have those) as those two entries can be finicky about where they are placed and Active Sky's as_connect entries have to be the last ones in the dll.xml file otherwise things can go a little haywire.  However if someone who has the aircraft installed can tell you where the installer placed their entries, I might place them in the same place.

Arguably, the Number 1 problem with dll.xml files after manually editing them or when installations write to the file is the failure to place a Carriage Return and Line Feed (CR LF) after each line, and this can't be seen in the regular version of Notepad that comes with Windows, but you can use a program called Notepad++ to see the CR and LF  entries.

After you have finished adding the entries for the aircraft, download and install Notepad++, run it, and then open your dll.xml file in Notepad++. Then from the Notepad++ menu select View, then Show Symbols, and then select "Show end of line" and you'll now be able to see the CR and LF symbols at the end of the lines in the dll.xml file. 

If CR or LF is missing, simply add them by pressing enter. It's not a bad idea to check ALL LINES (not just the ones you entered) for the CR and LF symbols.

Of course one can also use Notepad++ to edit the dll.xml file, but the reason I suggested the use of the regular Notepad for editing the dll.xml file is that visually, it's easier to use for most people. You'll see what I mean when you open Notepad++.

I hope this is helpful.

My best wishes.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Wow!  I see what you mean about being payware quality!

Haven't flown a complete flight yet, but took a look around the cockpit and checked out the controls/panels, etc. and took off and engaged A/P to to check it out.  Excellent!  So far the only "nit" I've noticed is that even with everything shut off the sound of engine running is still present.  Not sure how to get rid of that, but if that's the worst issue I can live with it.  Thought at first it might be APU, but I have shut that off as well.

kingm56, you mention some tips about the FMC... are there any detailed instructions anywhere?  I was hoping to see a manual appear in the folder after installation, but no such luck and online search came up empty.  I did download Werner Schott's detailed checklist for the B777-200 from freechecklists.net as I do for all my aircraft (very detailed and excellent).  There are separate .air files, panels/gauges, and sounds for the different engine choices (PW, RR, GE). but I don't see how I get it to select which one I want.  Also i couldn't get the A/P to behave... I got altitude and speed hold working.  But after climb out when I dialed in a different heading the aircraft wouldn't change course.

If you could point me to any helpful documentation or instructional sites I would appreciate it.

Used this freeware prior to getting PMDG 777 a few years ago:\

http://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/55/806

This isn't a typical freeware aircraft; it's payware quality.  To that point, it includes functional LNAV, VNAV and autoland functionality.  

Thanks for the website. I just go through the web and found many freeware aircrafts with 2D panels. Remind me so much of Fs2002 and Fs9 times.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Warren,

I haven't used this aircraft in many years; however, I think this what you need.  First, locate your dll.xml file.  It should be located here:

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Right Click on dll.xml and select edit.  Copy the entry below into the file being VERY careful to retain the structure.  Specifically, go to the end of the file and paste the below before the </SimBase.Document> entry and after the last </Launch.Addon> entry.  

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>jb777 fmc</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Path>Modules\jb777_fmc.dll</Path>

<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>

<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>

</Launch.Addon>

That's it, you should be good-to-go.  Don't worry about the fonts...

I opened my dll.xml file to make your suggested edits and found that the existing file already had that content.  How do I launch/use the FMC?

Sorry for all the newbie questions. 

Thanks Dave and Matt, I finally found the problem.

I'm using FSX-SE and therefore I selected the FSX-SE option in the installer, so it created a new folder called FSX-SE and put the edit  for the dll.xml in that folder. My default dll.xml is actually in a FSX named folder.

So, after re-installing and choosing FSX (who would have thought?) as my default flightsim folder, it edited the dll.xml correctly.

All seems to be working now, but not thoroughly tested it yet.

Cheers guys,

Warren

Warren

kingm56, you mention some tips about the FMC... are there any detailed instructions anywhere? 

If you look under My Documents folder,  you should find a folder named "Rikoooo Add-ons/Boeing 777-200ER Ultimate Pack/fmc docs". There are three files there to help.

Warren

Warren

I am not familiar with the particular package being discussed here, but for those having difficulty finding documentation, here is the link for the original JB Panel "zipdive."  Two pdfs, directly downloadable through this link, provide full instructions.

http://library.avsim.net/zipdiver.php?DLID=167467

I don't know if this package comes with a working VC, but if you use the correct FS9 VC model (depending on the aircraft) you can get a working VC.  (There are no FSX POSKY VC models.) At the above link there are a couple of working VC panels for this panel.  Since you are using FSX, you will need to have the B777 default gauge installed.  You will also need a dll file called msvcr70.dll.  Just google the gauge and dll name.  Be sure to backup your present panel.cfg file before editing.

Finally, although this panel uses FSX flight plans, there is software around that has current waypoints, airways and SIDs and STARs, and will generate an FSX flight plan using them.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2