Sign in to follow this  
strider1

Frame Rates, Bugs, etc....

I installed a 2nd clean copy of XP-11 and some of the bugs I was noticing disappeared ! And my frame rate went up ! Give it a shot if you are having issues.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I just did the same thing by doing a clean extra copy of pb5 install. But unfortunately to me there is no change.

I fell hosed right now. After flying XP11 it's hard for me to go back to P3D, but XP11 is now seriously unplayable.

Basically I have nothing to fly with at present. Never had this situation before.  

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I just did the same thing by doing a clean extra copy of pb5 install. But unfortunately to me there is no change.

I fell hosed right now. After flying XP11 it's hard for me to go back to P3D, but XP11 is now seriously unplayable.

Basically I have nothing to fly with at present. Never had this situation before.  

If your fps are ACTUALLY in the low single digits, you need to file a bug report.

And other than that... XP10 is still as good as it was before :)

And other than that... XP10 is still as good as it was before :)

Which isn't good enough. ;) There are reasons why people stuck with FSX and P3D when XP10 was around and why they switched with the release of XP11. The fact that I use XP11 now doesn't mean I am inclined to give XP10 a try. Not at all. If XP11 would be come unplayable on my PC I would go back to P3D. (Or I would try to get some fun out of Aerofly FS 2.)

What are your system specs ? What kind of frame rates are you seeing ? And what are your rendering settings ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I have an eight year old CPU, and in going from B3 to B5, have lost about 2-3 FPS, in similar scenarios. They could be tweaking things that are taxing the CPU/GPU combo, perhaps a wee bit more, who knows?  I do like choppers now. There is truly a difference in their handling, but...there now is too much loft still, while upon the ground, with my joystick settings the same. I probably should reset the Logitech Extreme...for each Beta advance.  Yeah, I'll do that with the next running...

Which isn't good enough. ;) There are reasons why people stuck with FSX and P3D when XP10 was around and why they switched with the release of XP11. The fact that I use XP11 now doesn't mean I am inclined to give XP10 a try. Not at all. If XP11 would be come unplayable on my PC I would go back to P3D. (Or I would try to get some fun out of Aerofly FS 2.)

Seriously?

The simulators are essentially the same. Sure, there's some big improvements to the UI, haze is ever-present, surfaces can be reflective, and there's some nicely improved default aircraft, but underneath - the fluidity of the flight model, the scenery, the view system, even the payware you might want to fly, it's all the same.

The 'shiny-ness' of the newly improved XP11 UI made it easy for a lot of people to quickly pickup X-Plane, but people don't realize that the same great sim is certainly there in XP10 as well.

In fact, if one is using a cloud replacement addon, HD Mesh, and payware aircraft that doesn't yet take advantage of PBR, there's really little noticeable difference, and what differences you DO notice tend to be for the worse on XP11 due to it's beta status: lower frame rates, less stability, less granularity in adjusting settings. The UI is nicer in XP11 of course (although not as quick to use), but you don't actually see it while flying...

I've been using XP11 as a daily flyer because I want to take part in the beta process, not because I need to or because it's already a 100% improvement over XP10.

I couldn't imagine having to go back to FSX/P3D for my daily use. I have aircraft that I absolutely adore in those sims, and yet I can barely bring myself to fly them with any regularity.

• Upvote 2

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I installed a 2nd clean copy of XP-11 and some of the bugs I was noticing disappeared ! And my frame rate went up ! Give it a shot if you are having issues.

You might be able to accomplish the same thing by deleting the X-Plane.prf file in the Output/preferences folder. X-Plane will reset that to default on the next boot of the program, same as a re-installing the whole sim, and it won't touch your controller assignments since they're in a different file now.

I do like choppers now. There is truly a difference in their handling, but...there now is too much loft still, while upon the ground, with my joystick settings the same. I probably should reset the Logitech Extreme...for each Beta advance.  Yeah, I'll do that with the next running...

In a beta run like this, it's never a good idea to keep chasing the changes with tweaks or controller settings every time they roll out a new beta. If you forget to roll back a tweak, you might think the final version has problems that aren't actually there!

FYI -- The helicopters now have too much power at the same torque setting as before, because something was changed in the propeller modeling in pb5. All propellers/rotors now have too much thrust. This is also making prop planes taxi too fast. I'm sure this will be fixed very soon. Just don't pull as much collective when flying the helicopters until it's fixed.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I have some random crashes with PB5. Really annoying at the moment. But okay, it's still beta.

What are your system specs ? What kind of frame rates are you seeing ? And what are your rendering settings ?

I have said similar things in different posts here and at X-Plane.org forum. There quite a few people are suffering the loss of fps with beta 5 too: 

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/113105-xp-11-frame-rates-cut-in-half-since-last-two-updates/

And I have the low fps problem since beta 3:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/501054-whats-the-fastest-fps-you-can-get-with-beta-3/

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

For the frame rate slowly dimenishing, try turning off all AI planes and give it a shot. Worked for me..

Pivot

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

Well I see I am not the only one that is having a drop in frame rates.

Yesterday after reloading X-plane from my original download which I think as around beta 2, it updated to the supposed beta 5 OK. Flew very nice. Today, I can start a flight at the gate, (default scenery at KFWA) and will get a normal 34 frames per. with the 737 or Barron. After flying for a few minutes, the frame rate is around 19-23 per. I have also had several complete freezes and needed to restart. Turning down settings for the scenery does not seem to do anything for this frame rate loss.

My system is a year old i7 4790 with a GTX 980 and 16Gb of ram. Up until now the low 30s  for frame rates has been a standard I can count on. Go high with little scenery to display, the rates zoom up past 60s.

As people have noted above, they are frustrated in the fixes that seem to "break" formerly working things . I use to work on Air Force simulators back in the 70s-80s ( F-4E and F-111D) and this very same thing happened to us too. Modified or fix one problem and make two or three more in the process. 

Even in the real world, it takes time to work out bugs on new aircraft, cars, etc. Now that they have hundreds or thousands of extra eyes and hands on the product, this should speed up the de-bugging process.

Terry

Dude, this is what I'm so baffled by lately around here.  XP10.51 is basically XP11 beta without the beta problems posted all day every day.  I simply am dumbfounded by the new users of XP11 that don't understand this.  I guess I applaud Laminar Research for their marketing and reaching a new market of you all, and there are a few small differences when actually flying if you directly compare the two side by side with a microscope, but XP11 is all about a new UI.  The main sim is hardly different.  Load Xenviro, HD Mesh v3, any 3rd part scenery/airport, your choice of 3rd party plane, and it's the same dang sim, just way better performance and less bugs if any at all in XP10. 

Your XP11 key also got you a XP10 key, which they intended you to use for your main sim.  I don't understand why nobody did on avsim....

XP10 at initial release was very rough, I admit and yes, I bought it then on DVD, played it a bit and then ignored it.

XP10.51 is fantastic, has 90%+ of what you all love with XP11 (and is damn near the same with the same addons at this point), and is stable and runs about 200% better. 

Any who, please see http://www.avsim.com/topic/501324-frame-rates-bugs-etc/?p=3544458 as he says it so well too

I of course support XP11, own it and now two copies of 10, but these posts saying how 10 isn't touchable are just silly to me.

I could post screenshots of both with the same addons, and other than XP10 having twice the framerate of XP11, you guys would be hard pressed to tell the difference.  Open your minds ha, you already have the key if you bought 10.....

XP11 will be awesome, but XP10.51 already is if you actually try it.

• Upvote 1

Dude, this is what I'm so baffled by lately around here.  XP10.51 is basically XP11 beta without the beta problems posted all day every day.  I simply am dumbfounded by the new users of XP11 that don't understand this.  I guess I applaud Laminar Research for their marketing and reaching a new market of you all, and there are a few small differences when actually flying if you directly compare the two side by side with a microscope, but XP11 is all about a new UI.  The main sim is hardly different.  Load Xenviro, HD Mesh v3, any 3rd part scenery/airport, your choice of 3rd party plane, and it's the same dang sim, just way better performance and less bugs if any at all in XP10. 

I could post screenshots of both with the same addons, and other than XP10 having twice the framerate of XP11, you guys would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I disagree. There are some significant differences with XP11 that go beyond the new GUI.

First, to get this out of the way, I agree 100% with you that XP10.51 is awesome. For anyone new to X-Plane and having too much frustration with the XP11 betas, I suggest using XP10 for now. For one thing, you'll have no issues using current XP10 free and payware aircraft. There are still some planes I bought in XP10 that I can't use yet in XP11 until the beta is over and the developers update the models. Other planes are working fine, it's hit or miss.

Now about those differences. I'm getting almost exactly the same frame rates in XP11 pb5 that I get in XP10.51, so I'm able to compare the two without a prejudice about that. What I see in XP11 is a much more realistic and immersive lighting engine, and haze effects we used to need plugins for (albeit too heavy at times). XP10 looks a bit cartoon-like by comparison. Between the lighting, the haze, and the reflections from pbr rendering, the "I can't believe it's not a photo" effect is kicking in much harder at times, with the new version.

The OSM data has been updated in XP11, with better building density in urban areas. Whatever one thinks of the current too-dark cloud appearance (which is due to be updated before release), we now have more vertical layers of winds and clouds compared to just 3 layers in XP10. Extended dsf loading is now on full-time, not an option that defaulted to "off" in XP10, so there is always great detail in the distance. 

All of these are core simulation features, not just a more friendly (and too-simplified) GUI.

XP11 will be awesome, but XP10.51 already is if you actually try it.

Absolutely! 

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I disagree. There are some significant differences with XP11 that go beyond the new GUI.

First, to get this out of the way, I agree 100% with you that XP10.51 is awesome. For anyone new to X-Plane and having too much frustration with the XP11 betas, I suggest using XP10 for now. For one thing, you'll have no issues using current XP10 free and payware aircraft. There are still some planes I bought in XP10 that I can't use yet in XP11 until the beta is over and the developers update the models. Other planes are working fine, it's hit or miss.

Now about those differences. I'm getting almost exactly the same frame rates in XP11 pb5 that I get in XP10.51, so I'm able to compare the two without a prejudice about that. What I see in XP11 is a much more realistic and immersive lighting engine, and haze effects we used to need plugins for (albeit too heavy at times). XP10 looks a bit cartoon-like by comparison. Between the lighting, the haze, and the reflections from pbr rendering, the "I can't believe it's not a photo" effect is kicking in much harder at times, with the new version.

The OSM data has been updated in XP11, with better building density in urban areas. Whatever one thinks of the current too-dark cloud appearance (which is due to be updated before release), we now have more vertical layers of winds and clouds compared to just 3 layers in XP10. Extended dsf loading is now on full-time, not an option that defaulted to "off" in XP10, so there is always great detail in the distance. 

All of these are core simulation features, not just a more friendly (and too-simplified) GUI.

Absolutely! 

Sure, the default OSM in 11 is a little newer than 10, but running HD Mesh v3 (which is quite better than stock 10 or 11) makes them both the same.

Clouds?  Both suck stock even with 11 updates.  Run Xenviro or SMP.  Then, guess what, both the same again.

The fact you have the exact same frame rate between both XP10 and XP11 is actually astonishing.  You are definitely the exception, and glad to hear!  Unfortunately, most of us get much worse performance in XP11, and Laminar Research even says the same at this point.

So, my point was for those that don't have successful results with XP11, simply try the same thing in XP10.  Most have already picked a weather addon, plane, scenery, etc, and at that point there really isn't that much difference between the two.  They will simply get better framerates in 10 over 11.

I run an i7-6700K/16GB RAM/SSD/Nvidia 1070 8GB GPU.  XP10.51 runs consistently almost twice the framerate as the XP11 betas using the same addons.

Just a thought for those that like X-Plane, but are struggling with the XP11 Betas.