Sign in to follow this  
1958biggles

FSX drop down menu

HI, just recently I am having issues with the drop down menu commands. Clicking on anything - changing views etc - results in the ping noise and no action on the sim, it just freezes.

I haven't changed or added anything - I also use a VR Headset and the same issues.

Any ideas Gentlemen?

Thanks

Colin

Has a Windows update happened recently and may have changed something?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Windows updates all the time so heaven knows what this is. Cant do another FSX fresh install as I have used up all my "uses" with the CDs - thanks Microsoft for that rip off!

Windows updates all the time so heaven knows what this is. Cant do another FSX fresh install as I have used up all my "uses" with the CDs - thanks Microsoft for that rip off!

Can you do a system restore back to a "happier" time when everything worked?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Cant do another FSX fresh install as I have used up all my "uses" with the CDs - thanks Microsoft for that rip off!

You are not limited to the number of installs.

All you need to do is call the automated phone line and have Microsoft reset your activation.

The phone number to call is in an XML document in your root FSX folder named Phone Activation.xml.

You can open it with notepad.

Don't forget to apologize to the machine when you call it.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

HI, just recently I am having issues with the drop down menu commands. Clicking on anything - changing views etc - results in the ping noise and no action on the sim, it just freezes.

I haven't changed or added anything - I also use a VR Headset and the same issues.

Any ideas Gentlemen?

Thanks

Colin

Colin, have you got the UIAutomationCore.dll file in the root of FSX ? If not, I'd like to wager a bet that is the culprit. It specifically prevents menu freezes and crashes in FSX. Here is the link. Download and place directly inside the FSX root folder.  

http://www.search-dll.com/dll-files/download/uiautomationcore.dll.html

• Upvote 2

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi Guys, I looked at the root folder and I do have that dll file there but just to be sure I downloaded off your link and replaced it but still the same issue. :0(

I will try to see if I can get Microsoft to allow me to install again off the CDs but meanwhile I am still open to any other ideas.

Hi Guys, I looked at the root folder and I do have that dll file there but just to be sure I downloaded off your link and replaced it but still the same issue. :0(

I will try to see if I can get Microsoft to allow me to install again off the CDs but meanwhile I am still open to any other ideas.

Colin, I have to say, I am really surprised that the UIatomationCore.dll didn't do the trick.would follow. Have you found a crash report, that should tell you what faulting module/file was the culprit. It may not though, as it sounds more like FSX just tripped up, in which case some reports can be ambiguous. But it would be a starting point.

Charlie's reply was good advice. Can you trace the problem back to a particular point. Then you could do a system restore, or try and decide if it's attributable to the installation of new scenery or aircraft, a driver, or indeed a Windows update. Have you done a virus scan (in safe mode?) Run Malwarebytes?

There's a whole shed load of things to try from what I have suggested through to rebuilding both your shader cache and cfg file. All these things can prove problematical. It's going to be a systematical process. I would suggest, in this order of importance:

1) Try both running your AntiVirus in safe mode and also Malwarebytes.

2) Rebuild your cfg. file and shader cache.

3) Try restore point

• Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Thanks Guys- I will try and rebuild the cfg file etc this weekend. Weird thing is when I use the VR Headset I don`t get the same issues

Pinging noise, that sounds like EZdok or Opus Camera going into edit mode? Perhaps the left mouse button was programmed to that by accident?

Hi Guys, well in the end the only thing that cured it was deleting the cfg file and letting it re do itself. Weird as there was no recent addition to the program- aircraft or otherwise. I don`t have Ezdock or Opus.

Anyway thanks everyone - flying again :0)