Sign in to follow this  
Gary_Hayes

Repainting in Photoshop tutorial

Featuring the Level-D 767 kit

Part 3

Part 4

Gary Hayes

My Youtube

No i'm not a "real" pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Hey Gary!

Welcome back and a very nice update to your older tutorials. :Applause:

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Thanks Steve, I felt they needed to be reworked.

Gary Hayes

My Youtube

No i'm not a "real" pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Nice job Gary now try doing  Carenado  :wink:

Thanks for sharing  :dance:

Rich Sennett

Which one Richard?

Kidding Gary - horror show painting any carenado - paint kit never going to happen for their stuff - no worries out of the painting business for me - take care  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Thanks Steve, I felt they needed to be reworked.

Hey Gary,

It's been a while.  :smile: 

Did you ever think about doing a tutorial using a freeware program like http://www.getpaint.net/index.html ?

It's come a long way from the MS days.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Impressive tutorial, nevertheless I think its not really the kind of tutorial we need when we want to help starting painters.

I do not say this tutorial is no good, it certainly is OK , I could follow and understand everything, but,  seen the fact I am a very experienced painter myself there is some logic in that.
Asking myself , would this tutorial be helpfull if a was a starting (young) painter?
I am afraid not.

To folow this tutorial you need to know a lot about painting in Photoshop to start with, without this basic knowledge of  Photoshop its impossible to understand whats happening.

Things are going very fast and its hard to see wich actions are performed. 
When you have this basic-knowledge, I mentioned, you hardly need this tutorial anymore.

I agree when Bluestar suggests to make a tutorial for a free painting program.
You can think about Paint.net , Gimp, or even a cheap older version of Paintshop-Pro.
Starting painters who need tutorials do not own a (legal) copy of Photoshop in general.
Beginning with a more simple painting-program is more logic.
There is no pilot on the entire globe who had his first solo-flight on a Dreamliner, a Cessna would be more likely.
Mind, Photoshop is the Dreamliner among the painting-programs.

Richard Sennet asked for a tutorial likewise, doing a Carenado, thats a good one.
In my opinion that would be a real challenge.
Doing a Carenado is painting a jigsaw-puzzle and far,far more complicated than painting a Level-D airliner.
Excuse me for saying, painting airliners is more or less painting sigars, its straightforward and quiet simple.

There is just one other remark I must make.
When Gary says "bumpmapping is useless in flightsim" because models are already 3D, I must strongly disagree.
When he means to say, a painter does not need to make new bump files for a livery, I agree.( unless he made changes to platelines and rivet-patterns naturally)

Saying flightsim planes do not need bump-files at all because its already 3D, really sounds like he has no idea about the subject,  I must think he did not mean it this way.
Contemporary flightsim planes cannot do without bumpmapping ( or named normal-files if you like)

Its possible to make a model having all platelines, rubbers,doors, windows and rivets reproduced by the actual 3D model.
This does not realy work with flightsim models, this would result in so many polygons, the file-weight of the plane would freeze our sim.
No need to say, undulation of surfaces by real 3D would be killing once more.

For those who are interested in bumpmapping ( named normals in X-Plane but actually identical ) http://www.leendejagertweewielers.nl/hobby/answers/answer13.pdf

I`ll stick to the small more challenging ones ( I love Carenados, I painted so many of them , they give me no problems , just a lot of work and fun)

http://www.flybike-paints.nl

P.s.

Bumpfiles are confusing when used in DDS version, in the video Gary says everything wich goes IN on the bumptexture sticks OUT of the plane, he is right there.
Nevertheless this is something which needs more explanation.
When the bump-file is a DDS its in fact the texture upside-down.
Looking on the file everything wich goes IN comes OUT of the plane.
BUT
When the normal is an Extended Bitmap the texture is not flipped and than the bumpmap shows exactly the way as it shows on the plane, what comes OUT of the bumpmap comes OUT of the plane too.
When making bump-files ( especially when making them manually, not just generating) its advisable to have the texture NOT upside-down.
When saving to DDS make sure its flipped in the DDS.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints