Keep in mind that everything is a trade-off. The current weather engine is pretty basic, but it's also fairly easy on the frame rates (until you start pushing clouds past a certain point). I'll bet that modeling what actually goes on with vertical convection inside a big CB as a discrete 3D model isn't exactly easy on the CPU. Especially if you're trying to show the results at 60+ fps or even higher for VR.

So even though I'm constantly complaining about the lack of real CB's in the sim, we should maybe be careful what we wish for.  :smile:  What's here already with 3rd party add-ons is pretty good. At least visually, if not dynamically.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I would be ok with that. In the FSX world, we set up the sim based on our hardware. We trade some visuals for performance and vice versa. If you have an Intel i7-6850K and two NVIDIA Titan X SLI, both CPU and GPU overclocked on water blocks, you can max the settings. If not, then turn it down. In Active Sky, you can adjust your settings to find that balance, I think that can work in X-Plane as well.

I would be ok with that. In the FSX world, we set up the sim based on our hardware. We trade some visuals for performance and vice versa. If you have an Intel i7-6850K and two NVIDIA Titan X SLI, both CPU and GPU overclocked on water blocks, you can max the settings. If not, then turn it down. In Active Sky, you can adjust your settings to find that balance, I think that can work in X-Plane as well.

Hi 738, most of us here still occasionally use FSX/P3D and I can tell you X-Plane performance is just as scalable, if not more so. The other thing is that XP will make much more use of your GPU and RAM, whereas FSX is still very much a CPU-bound (32-bit) program. Weather tools like xEnviro and SMP are also fully adjustable.

I read some things here that go completely against how I understood them: 

- about the 3D model: Austin mentioned the basis for the 3D weather model is there, now they must expand on it.

Ben also mentioned they are working on better depiction of the weather, I did not lose my hope yet for XP11.

- there is an option in X-Plane to turn off completely the internal cloud rendering system, third party developers are able to completely replace X-Plane weather system already.

Some of the things they both did, is remove the 3 layer (cloud) limit in X-Plane and extend the cloud coverage to the horizon.

- and finally, something that could be easily misunderstood: FSX is CPU bound AND a 32 bit program.

Those 2 are not linked, but both are limiting FSX (and P3D) on modern hardware and OSs. I am sure Deetee is aware of this, but it can be misinterpreted.

Internally, it looks like Xplane is very object based programming, that is how they could port it to low end hardware like the iPad (compared to a full blown desktop, that is).

And 3rd party can take advantage of this, by overwriting the internals by their own (be it planes, injecting lua or python scripts, or the complete weather rendering system).

It is very versatile.

I know X-Plane can take full advantage of computer hardware, that's one of it's strong points. I had the impression it was completely open to third party developers to, for example, replace the weather system completely. If that's the case, the lack of a proper default weather system is not a big deal, at least for me. Because a third party developer can replace it.

I know X-Plane can take full advantage of computer hardware, that's one of it's strong points. I had the impression it was completely open to third party developers to, for example, replace the weather system completely. If that's the case, the lack of a proper default weather system is not a big deal, at least for me. Because a third party developer can replace it.

That is true, default clouds and weather can be overriden, and in theory a 3rd party could completely replace it with his own weather system. AFAIK that is what SkyMaxxPro does (and also xEnviro I think).

The problem is that creating a complete weather system from scratch is not a trivial task. As probably demonstrated by the two aforementioned products that still have limitations.

As far as I know, even if Active Sky uses additional coding to improve and introduce new features in modeling weather, it basically relies on MSFS internal weather system for visuals.

So, I expect that we'll have to wait an overhaul by Laminar Research, before we see a more complete weather system. Unless some 3rd party with significant resources manages to build a complete weather system from scratch that is even better than xEnviro.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guys I am the OP on this and I really appreciate the insights. Actually fascinating because i will bet most of is here have been using a sim for a long time for a myriad of reasons. Im also sure that most of you are very experienced in a range of sim environments and have tweaked and fiddled for years. Therefore most  of you will have a subjective and informed answer to my specific question below

My original questions was " how do i get rid of black clouds ". ( i had a black could problem in p3d v2) and it was fixable. In x-plane is appears it is really not going to be immediately repairable based upon the way x-plane is programmed.

I learned allot from these comments and  it has basically informed me to install a 3rd party platform for  x-plane wx

So,I have two main criteria. I would like your recommendation on the following;

What 3rd party wx software (for x-plane 11) is recommended, and would give the most comprehensive visuals based upon the following.( I don't mind paying for something that will enhance the experience if it  improves the sim experience)

1 real time weather 

2 best visual and depth to provide an immersive experience

( my system- w10x64, cpu 4770k @4,3 2x 980ti)

Thank you

Pete

I would go with xEnviro.  It looks good to me (coming from P3D with REX Soft Clouds) and is a single solution without having to buy multiple programs.  Many do not like the fact that historical weather is not yet available.  But, I note that you are looking for real time weather which is all I ever use as well.  The road map that is posted on their site shows that they have some good plans for the future.  It will get rid of those ugly black default clouds.

• Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

I read some things here that go completely against how I understood them: 

- about the 3D model: Austin mentioned the basis for the 3D weather model is there, now they must expand on it.

I read his comment, and took it to mean that the foundation is there, but Laminar had to do the heavy lifting to create a full 3D weather system. Maybe I'm wrong, I guess we'll see. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Pascal_LSGC, on 10 Jan 2017 - 8:58 PM, said:

FYI, Ben posted an interesting comment about clouds:

http://developer.x-plane.com/2017/01/what-wont-run-on-nvidia-drivers-and-rhymes-with-rate-a-four/#comment-16280

Looks like some welcome enhancement is in the work, and might happen in a reasonable timeframe.

Pascal

Interesting comment about clouds!

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM