Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Captain Sim $9.99 sale - 24 hours only - January 11th

Funny how every time CS sale is on the PMDG is always dragged along to the discussion. For the these prices I would not complain. As I didn´t when I chose iFly to represent modern 737 in my virtual hangar - and laughed all the way to the bank.

• Upvote 4

The CS 'Cripple Seven' is actually pretty good. It was the first half decent payware one for FSX one you could get, the AeroSim one coming out a bit before it and beating it to the draw, as they also did with the 787 but AeroSim add-ons have fairly simple avionics by comparison (no FMC unless you add one, as I did at the time). By comparison, the CS 777 has a decent FMS which can also connect to your mobile with their funky little app for Android Devices. Sure it ain't a PMDG one, but for less than a tenner it's not bad at all.

Thanks Alan, good to hear it's a decent addon. To be perfectly honest, when I bought the PMDG 777 I very soon realised that I would never use it to it's full potential. So I swore I'd never buy "study level" aircraft again. I then moved to P3D and the first thing I did was buy the NGX  :lol: so much for saying I'd never buy a "study level" aircraft again (although to be fair, I love the NGX).

I don't think I'm a "hardcore" enough simmer to appreciate the system depth that the likes of PMDG or Flight Sim Labs offers. I won't be buying the FSL A320 when it comes to P3D. I'm happy enough with the Aerosoft version. I bought the iFly 747 rather than wait for the PMDG version. I'm happy enough when a payware addon with a working FMS and reasonably good simulation of a flight under "normal operations", that utilises all the common buttons and switches.

It does require a little bit of manual work, but the CS 767 can be made to mostly work in p3d. The only things not working for me are the ACE utility (I think that's what it's called the one for setting passenger loads etc), and the tcas doesn't work right. Other than that it's the best (only) 767 that works in p3d. I picked up the -200 last night to complete my collection.

Yeah, I did read that somewhere. But I don't want to mess up my setup by installing something that might cause problems. TBH, I'd have rathered the 757 anyway.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I don't think I'm a "hardcore" enough simmer to appreciate the system depth that the likes of PMDG or Flight Sim Labs offers. I won't be buying the FSL A320 when it comes to P3D. I'm happy enough with the Aerosoft version. I bought the iFly 747 rather than wait for the PMDG version. I'm happy enough when a payware addon with a working FMS and reasonably good simulation of a flight under "normal operations", that utilises all the common buttons and switches.

Yeah, me too a lot of the time. Sure I do like sometimes to fly a serious study airliner because I'm enough of a nerd to want to know all that stuff and have worked on the real things in the past, so it's good to get the chance to fly them virtually when I've sweated over proof-reading those emergency procedures and such in the real manuals to ensure sure there were no errors or typos, but a lot of the time I'm happy with simple renditions of those airliners too. People might slam the Aerosoft A320 in comparison to the FSL one, but personally I even like the Just Flight F-Lite A320 (which makes the Aerosoft one look like a Level D full motion simulator by comparison lol), and this is coming from someone who produced the SOP manuals for the real A320 and who bought the FSL one in a heartbeat.

Simpler simulated aeroplanes will always have their place as far as I'm concerned, although I like to have the choice of the complex ones too when the mood takes me, and so the ones which fall in between (which you could safely say are mostly where Captain Sim add-ons sit) often offer enough of both experiences to seem ideal for a lot of the things I like to do, thus I'm a big fan of the iFly NG despite also having the PMDG NG too.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Anyone got  the B52  Driver?   Dare I say it  can you start it with Ctrl E  or do you need to spend hours getting to know it?  Will check out some reviews when I get home but any feedback appreciated.

Also any issues with multimonitor NVidia setup for this , the 777 and the Tristar

Cheers

Steve

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

Hi Neal,

LOL - same boat - as of this day I've completely refused to buy the same piece of code twice and I don't see it changing... Especially at the $100.00 price point... Yeah - yeah - all the work that goes into the port - - - doesn't warrant 100% of the purchase price OR more - - - no thanks - - - to be fair I'm not aiming this at PMDG - just in general the payware vendors that utilize this practice...

Regards,

Scott

I'm of the same opinion Scott. Some developers choose to do it that way. People will always say that no one is forcing you to buy it again. So I did exactly that. I didn't buy it again. Other developers who don't operate like that (ie develop the aircraft for both platforms for the same price) all insist that there's no justification for charging people again, as they are essentially the same thing, with a few tweaks here and there. 

Yeah, me too a lot of the time. Sure I do like sometimes to fly a serious study airliner because I'm enough of a nerd to want to know all that stuff and have worked on the real things in the past, so it's good to get the chance to fly them virtually when I've sweated over proof-reading those emergency procedures and such in the real manuals to ensure sure there were no errors or typos, but a lot of the time I'm happy with simple renditions of those airliners too. People might slam the Aerosoft A320 in comparison to the FSL one, but personally I even like the Just Flight F-Lite A320 (which makes the Aerosoft one look like a Level D full motion simulator by comparison lol), and this is coming from someone who produced the SOP manuals for the real A320 and who bought the FSL one in a heartbeat.

Simpler simulated aeroplanes will always have their place as far as I'm concerned, although I like to have the choice of the complex ones too when the mood takes me, and so the ones which fall in between (which you could safely say are mostly where Captain Sim add-ons sit) often offer enough of both experiences to seem ideal for a lot of the things I like to do, thus I'm a big fan of the iFly NG despite also having the PMDG NG too.

Agreed. There are basically 2 different markets. And that's why these developers are never worried about competition.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Anyone got  the B52  Driver?   Dare I say it  can you start it with Ctrl E  or do you need to spend hours getting to know it?  Will check out some reviews when I get home but any feedback appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Yup, it's not a study sim, but it's got enough detail to be fun, so yes, you can crank it up without needing to be Major T.J. Kong. :-)

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I have the old Just Flight 757 Captain for FSX (not the F-lite one and supposedly developed by Captain Sim), does anyone know if there is a difference between this and the Captain Sim version sold directly through their website? I am thinking of picking this up if it is a better package. I have pretty much everything else of theirs so this may be it.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

I have the old Just Flight 757 Captain for FSX (not the F-lite one and supposedly developed by Captain Sim), does anyone know if there is a difference between this and the Captain Sim version sold directly through their website? I am thinking of picking this up if it is a better package. I have pretty much everything else of theirs so this may be it.

Cheers, Pete

The just flight version is not the latest version 4.6, and can not be updated to it. This update makes a world of difference so if you like the CS757, it would be worth the 9.99 to get it.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The just flight version is not the latest version 4.6, and can not be updated to it. This update makes a world of difference so if you like the CS757, it would be worth the 9.99 to get it.

Thanks Tom. Would you say it's worth the purchase if I already have the Qualitywings 757? I know, it's just $10 but I figure I'll ask anyway.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

I'm not sure how much time is left on the clock, but I just wanted to say that my experience with Captain Sim has been excellent for over ten years and today was no different. I ordered the 727-100 plus the -200 Freighter version and the 777 base-pack. For less than 30 USD I got excellent products that together would have cost over a hundred dollars at normal prices. Then I had a little "glitch." While using PaPal for the purchase, I got an error message leading me to think the purchase had not gone through. I changed my security settings for PayPal and repeated the purchase attempt and this time it worked. Then I got email confirmations that told me that it HAD worked the first time and I now owned duplicates of three products. I fired off an email to Captain Sim support late last night and when I logged on this morning I got an email from Tanya, director of their support staff. Though it was PayPal that had caused the problem, she not only fixed it but very kindly gave me a "freebie" download as well.

Over the years I've heard some nasty comments made about Captain Sim in the forums. My experience with them has always been absolutely positive and this was no exception. As far as I'm concerned, Captain Sim has always delivered reaqsonably priced, state of the art products. And every interaction I have ever had with their support staff has been pleasant, efficient and fair.

So my advice is take advantage of the next few hours and get something that will provide hours of pleasurable entertainment and education for a measly ten bucks and with the confidence that the company that produces these products is selling them to us at a fraction of their real value and is one that stands out for quality and in my personal experience at least, outstanding customer support... But the clock is winding down and I think you only have a couple of hours to act. Go for it!!!

Cheers

Would you say it's worth the purchase if I already have the Qualitywings 757?
Pete - there's no comparison between the two. The QW version is not only a very simplistic "lite" product, but I also had performance problems with it because of slow gauge refresh rates. It left my hard drive within a few weeks of buying it. I have the CS 757 in FS9 and it is delightful. It's technically challenging and because it models an early version of the 757 has a bit of a learning curve, but it is an in-depth and high quality product. And even if you find you disagree with me, what's $10 going to buy you these days??? LOL Seriously mate, the CS 757 compared to the QW version is a huge improvement
  • Upvote 5

I was going to pick up the B52, but Windows 10 did an update last night, and I spent 4 hours getting my Saitek FIP to work again !  Ran out of time   Aaaaaaghhhhhhhh !

Oh well always next year .

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

Jumped on the 737-200 sale. Wow I thought I was a pretty good "driver" of planes. But must humbly confess at the incredible but deliciously complicated flight procedures. My head is spinning. However I am truly impressed with this airplane. Captain sim have done a great job producing this bird. And the sale price of $10.00 is above and beyond fantastic. Thank you guy's. Now back to my head spinning instruction manuals. Ugh.  

• Upvote 1

Captain to First Officer: " I didn't say it was your fault I am just blaming you " 

Jumped on the 737-200 sale. Wow I thought I was a pretty good "driver" of planes. But must humbly confess at the incredible but deliciously complicated flight procedures. My head is spinning. However I am truly impressed with this airplane. Captain sim have done a great job producing this bird. And the sale price of $10.00 is above and beyond fantastic. Thank you guy's. Now back to my head spinning instruction manuals. Ugh.  

i bought the same thing, great plane for $10

• Upvote 1

My favorite airliner in FSX-SE. You are going to get hours of fun out of that $10!!!!! :Party:

• Upvote 2

Does anyone know if the ones liste for FSX can also be made to work on Steam edition..? Whioe this time I just got some P3D versions, last time I got some FSX ones (707, 757, 767) and did't realize they said. FSX only and not SE....