Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Tilt the eye point

I know you can adjust the default eye point forward/backward, up/down, left/right for an aircraft by modifying the eyepoint parameter under the Views section in aircraft.cfg but does someone know if it's also possible to tilt the default eye point?

I do all my flying in the NGX and I would like to tilt the default view down a bit to see all of the PFD and NAV displays.

Richard Åsberg

I know you can adjust the default eye point forward/backward, up/down, left/right for an aircraft by modifying the eyepoint parameter under the Views section in aircraft.cfg but does someone know if it's also possible to tilt the default eye point?

I do all my flying in the NGX and I would like to tilt the default view down a bit to see all of the PFD and NAV displays.

I think you mean roll the view but not sure you can do that without chaseplane or ezca 

Rich Sennett

Track IR.

That would work - I dont use it sits in a corner somewhere but good point 

Rich Sennett

Provided I understand your question, on my setup, the '9' and '0' key tilt up/down.  Actual QWERT keyboard; not the numberpad.

I don't recall if that is default, or if I mapped those in.

Ron

Thanks for your input guys.

Maybe roll is a better word than tilt. What I would like to do is simulate looking down a bit so I see all of the PFD and NAV displays and not just the upper half of them.

I just tried using 9 and 0 on my keyboard but that didn't have any effect so maybe it's like you say that you mapped those keys. I can look into that later on. However that won't help me because I can accomplish the same thing using the hat switch on my CH yoke and pull the hat key towards me.

What I want to do is to change the default view, that is the view you will get by pressing the reset view key. Normally to change this default view you can accomplish this by modifying the values I mentioned in my first post in aircraft.cfg but since that only takes your up/down, forward/backward, left/right position it doesn't help me. And if I manually change the view that will only last until I reset the view or restart P3D. I wish there was a way to adjust the view to your liking and then save it.

As for TIR I've been using that a lot in the past but currently I find it more comfortable to fly without it and simply use my hat switch or SPACE and the mouse to move around.

Richard Åsberg

The default VC view is defined in the cameras.cfg file in AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

[CameraDefinition.002]
Title = "Virtual Cockpit"
Guid = {C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}
Description = This is the description of the virtual cockpit view.
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = No
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = No
Track = None
ShowAxis = Yes
AllowZoom = Yes
InitialZoom = 0.70
SmoothZoomTime = 2.00
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = Yes
ShowLensFlare=No
Category = Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
PitchPanRate = 30.0
HeadingPanRate = 75.0
Panacceleratortime = 0.0
ClipMode = Minimum

You could add "InitialPBH" to this definition to change the pitch, for example:
InitialPbh = 5,0,0
will change the default VC eyepoint to tilt 5 degrees down. But it will then be that way in every aircraft.

Or you just create a new camera by right clicking into the P3D window, then selecting "Custom camera->Create new".

LORBY-SI

That would work - I dont use it sits in a corner somewhere but good point 

Missing out on some major immersion, brother.  I wont fly without it.

spacer.png

Missing out on some major immersion, brother.  I wont fly without it.

If you want some real immersion you should try a pair of Oculus Rift glasses coupled with the FlyInside software. But then again maybe you shouldn't because after that your TIR device won't be that much of fun anymore :wink:

I was using a pair of Oculus Rift glasses for a couple of weeks and the immersion was absolutely amazing!! Wearing the glasses you are actually in the cockpit just like in the real aircraft. Unfortunately though the resolution still isn't what I would like it to be and especially being used to 4K so will wait for next or maybe even the third generation. It's not just about the glasses but also we need graphics cards powerful enough to run higher resolution VR glasses with acceptable performance.

The default VC view is defined in the cameras.cfg file in AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

You could add "InitialPBH" to this definition to change the pitch, for example:

InitialPbh = 5,0,0

will change the default VC eyepoint to tilt 5 degrees down. But it will then be that way in every aircraft.

Or you just create a new camera by right clicking into the P3D window, then selecting "Custom camera->Create new".

Now we're getting somewhere :smile:

I tried created a new camera with a tilt down of 5 degress and that was just about right! Unfortunately though as soon as I pressed the reset key I was back to the normal v/c camera instead of the new one I created myself. Maybe there's some option for the new camera I missed that I need to check to make it "stick" even when resetting my view.

Will also try to modify the cameras.cfg file as you suggested. This I guess will not pose the same issue as when creating a new camera since you will be modifying the default v/c view. A bit confused though how this cameras.cfg file and what's in it relates to the eyepoint parameter in the aircraft.cfg file?

I guess the main difference is changes done to the cameras.cfg file will affect all your a/c just like you say while modifying the aircraft.cfg file will of course only affect that specific a/c.

Richard Åsberg

In cameras.cfg there are the default camera definitions (and categories) for the whole simulator.

Aircraft can then add their own to those general definitions in their aircraft.cfg

Both are part of the viewing system. You can have an aircraft without any camera definitions in its cfg, but you will be in trouble if you compromise the cameras.cfg beyond spec. For example, EZDOK takes the default VC definition completely out of cameras.cfg, and by doing this it kills the default virtual cockpit viewing system dead - to be able to replace it with it's own.

Edit: oh, right, eyepoint. That is the point of reference where the simulator will put the default VC camera in relation to the internal 3D model.

LORBY-SI

Super thanks Oliver!!

Adding the suggested line to cameras.cfg had the exact effect I was looking for :drinks:

Richard Åsberg

YW.

Just don't forget that you did this - when you try out a new aircraft in a few weeks. :-)

LORBY-SI

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/getting_started/view_system/using_views_and_windows.html

Scroll down to:

Moving the Eyepoint

Having trouble seeing over the instrument panel? In a real airplane you'd just lean forward a bit or sit on a phone book. In Prepar3D you can move the eyepoint, the point from which your virtual eyes look out. This is particularly useful ability when taxiing taildraggers in Cockpit or Virtual Cockpit views.

To move the eyepoint in any view:

*3-D virtual cockpit only

Action                           Key command

Move Eyepoint Back* CTRL+ENTER

Move Eyepoint Up SHIFT+ENTER

Move Eyepoint Down SHIFT+BACKSPACE

Pan Eyepoint Up CTRL+SHIFT+Q

Pan Eyepoint Down CTRL+Q

Move Eyepoint Forward* CTRL+BACKSPACE

Move Eyepoint Left* CTRL+SHIFT+BACKSPACE

Move Eyepoint Right* CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

Reset Eyepoint CTRL+SPACEBAR Look up CTRL+SHIFT+NUMPAD 8

Since I do all my flying in the NGX that won't be a problem but of course it would have been even better if you were able to add a similar line to aircraft.cfg instead only affecting that a/c

Richard Åsberg

Since I do all my flying in the NGX that won't be a problem but of course it would have been even better if you were able to add a similar line to aircraft.cfg instead only affecting that a/c

That is only possible by adding your own camera definition to the aircraft.cfg - but it won't be the default one. But you could assign a hotkey to it, so you can always return to it quickly.

LORBY-SI