Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Tilt the eye point

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/getting_started/view_system/using_views_and_windows.html

Scroll down to:

Moving the Eyepoint

Having trouble seeing over the instrument panel? In a real airplane you'd just lean forward a bit or sit on a phone book. In Prepar3D you can move the eyepoint, the point from which your virtual eyes look out. This is particularly useful ability when taxiing taildraggers in Cockpit or Virtual Cockpit views.

To move the eyepoint in any view:

*3-D virtual cockpit only

Action                           Key command

Move Eyepoint Back* CTRL+ENTER

Move Eyepoint Up SHIFT+ENTER

Move Eyepoint Down SHIFT+BACKSPACE

Pan Eyepoint Up CTRL+SHIFT+Q

Pan Eyepoint Down CTRL+Q

Move Eyepoint Forward* CTRL+BACKSPACE

Move Eyepoint Left* CTRL+SHIFT+BACKSPACE

Move Eyepoint Right* CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

Reset Eyepoint CTRL+SPACEBAR Look up CTRL+SHIFT+NUMPAD 8

Very useful information, thanks!

That is only possible by adding your own camera definition to the aircraft.cfg - but it won't be the default one. But you could assign a hotkey to it, so you can always return to it quickly.

Ok, thanks but I'm fine with the modified cameras cfg file only flying the NGX and should I decide to use another aircraft I will remember the modification.

Richard Åsberg

You could add "InitialPBH" to this definition to change the pitch, for example:
InitialPbh = 5,0,0
will change the default VC eyepoint to tilt 5 degrees down. But it will then be that way in every aircraft.

Top tip! :good:

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

You should just be able go to your global cameras.cfg file, make a copy of the VC camera, changing the CameraDefinition to a new unique value, the title to VC 5 degrees down (or whatever), new GUID, Hotkey to an unused value or remove entry, and InitialPBH to 5,0,0.

You then have both your original VC and a 5 degrees down VC camera available to all aircraft.

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/getting_started/view_system/using_views_and_windows.html

Scroll down to:

Moving the Eyepoint

Having trouble seeing over the instrument panel? In a real airplane you'd just lean forward a bit or sit on a phone book. In Prepar3D you can move the eyepoint, the point from which your virtual eyes look out. This is particularly useful ability when taxiing taildraggers in Cockpit or Virtual Cockpit views.

To move the eyepoint in any view:

*3-D virtual cockpit only

Action                           Key command

Move Eyepoint Back* CTRL+ENTER

Move Eyepoint Up SHIFT+ENTER

Move Eyepoint Down SHIFT+BACKSPACE

Pan Eyepoint Up CTRL+SHIFT+Q

Pan Eyepoint Down CTRL+Q

Move Eyepoint Forward* CTRL+BACKSPACE

Move Eyepoint Left* CTRL+SHIFT+BACKSPACE

Move Eyepoint Right* CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

Reset Eyepoint CTRL+SPACEBAR Look up CTRL+SHIFT+NUMPAD 8

When playing around with your eyepoint using the above commands is there any way to permanently save the eyepoint once you're happy with it?

Would be awesome if you could adjust your view this way and then save it once you're happy rather than having to manually modify the eyepoint value in aircraft.cfg and then reload the a/c to see the result between every change.

Richard Åsberg

When playing around with your eyepoint using the above commands is there any way to permanently save the eyepoint once you're happy with it?

Would be awesome if you could adjust your view this way and then save it once you're happy rather than having to manually modify the eyepoint value in aircraft.cfg and then reload the a/c to see the result between every change.

That is what my CameraPosition X addon does.

(probably will get shouted at for this post - but this requirement is exactly what I made that tool for)

A lot more sophisticated are tools like EZDOK, Opus camera or Chaseplane though. If you like to adjust views a lot and pan/jump around camera positions, those are the go-to solutions IMHO.

LORBY-SI

heh, yes, the method you describe is basically exactly how ezdok and chaseplane work..you can understand why they are popular addons. i would go crazy trying to adjust things manually in text files especially with using many different aircraft..

good luck!

cheers

-andy crosby

Thanks Oliver but in my case only flying a single a/c and hopefully not messing around with these things that often I don't feel like buying a separate add-on for this single purpose.

I'm sure it can be very useful though if you're playing around a lot and fly many different a/c.

Was hoping maybe the values you come up with after using the key commands were saved somewhere so you could grab them but I guess I'll have to do it the hard way then.

Richard Åsberg

Thanks Oliver but in my case only flying a single a/c and hopefully not messing around with these things that often I don't feel like buying a separate add-on for this single purpose.

I'm sure it can be very useful though if you're playing around a lot and fly many different a/c.

Was hoping maybe the values you come up with after using the key commands were saved somewhere so you could grab them but I guess I'll have to do it the hard way then.

Unfortunately yes, that is the way. This is pretty much how my addon came into existence, in its initial state it was supposed to only show those coordinates. Seemed like a good idea to expand a little on that...

A suggestion: the first thing that you need to do is to figure out which value designates which axis (x,y,z) in which direction, relative to which point of reference. Then you can try to calculate the values that you need for your desired eyepoint and start from there with alternating adjustments (+1.0, -0.5, +0.25 etc). I would add at least 5 camera positions with different values right from the start, so you can call up each and see which one fits best - then take it from there, altering the whole batch. This minimizes the reloads IMHO.

LORBY-SI

I got tired trying to find the correct values so I ended up buying your Camera Position X software which made things very much easier so thanks for the tip and for your great software!

Still had some problems though even when using your software where the eyepoint I saved still wouldn't come back in the exact same way when I pressed the reset eyepoint keys. I think the problem is I'm using a pair of Oculus Rift VR glasses meaning the eyepoint is constantly moving with my head movements vs having a fixed eyepoint when not using this kind of VR headset or a TrackIR device for that matter.

After playing around a bit I think I finally found a good eyepoint which I was able to save and I noticed the importance of keeping my head absolutely still while pressing the 'Set default eyepoint to current postition' button.

Richard Åsberg

I spoke too soon I'm afraid...for some reason after restarting P3D when I load my flight I keep ending up pretty much on the nose of the aircraft rather than in the left seat :lol:

Should mention I noticed this also before getting this software so I don't put the blame on the software, it must be something else that happened. Never had this issue before. What makes it so strange is that I'm using the same eyepoint values I always used which would normally place me in the correct position.

Now I'm restoring an old system backup to get rid of the problem but would still be nice to know what could have caused this? I also tried starting a new flight/situation rather than using a saved situation thinking maybe it was something in that saved flight causing this.

Very strange...hmm...

Richard Åsberg

A lot more sophisticated are tools like EZDOK, Opus camera or Chaseplane though. If you like to adjust views a lot and pan/jump around camera positions, those are the go-to solutions IMHO.

Definitely, as Oliver suggested, you need to try EZCAv2

You won't be diappointed.

Happy NGX flying !

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

Definitely, as Oliver suggested, you need to try EZCAv2

You won't be diappointed.

Happy NGX flying !

I'm sure it's a great tool but when flying in VR I won't need any camera tools other than one for helping me set the default eyepoint since I'm already inside the cockpit with access to any views I could possibly wish for simply by moving my head :smile:

Richard Åsberg

I spoke too soon I'm afraid...for some reason after restarting P3D when I load my flight I keep ending up pretty much on the nose of the aircraft rather than in the left seat :lol:

Should mention I noticed this also before getting this software so I don't put the blame on the software, it must be something else that happened. Never had this issue before. What makes it so strange is that I'm using the same eyepoint values I always used which would normally place me in the correct position.

Now I'm restoring an old system backup to get rid of the problem but would still be nice to know what could have caused this? I also tried starting a new flight/situation rather than using a saved situation thinking maybe it was something in that saved flight causing this.

Very strange...hmm...

Feel free to contact me via PM - preferably using the form on my website.

What you describe can have more than one cause and I would have to take a look at your config files (cameras.cfg and aircraft.cfg) and the saved flight.

LORBY-SI

Feel free to contact me via PM - preferably using the form on my website.

What you describe can have more than one cause and I would have to take a look at your config files (cameras.cfg and aircraft.cfg) and the saved flight.

Thanks Oliver but I already found out what was causing the issue and it turned out to be my own fault and so stupid I don't know if I should cry or laugh...

As I already mentioned I'm currently doing my flying in VR using a pair of Oculus Rift glasses and the FlyInside software. Normally I use what is known as the interaction menu in FlyInside to quit P3D and I then put the glasses back on my desk.

Now however when I've been messing around with finding the correct eyepoint I've been doing it a bit differently by taking the glasses off and putting them back on my desk and then quitting P3D by simply using the normal cross (X) icon in the upper right corner of the P3D program window.

Since I always load the last saved situation when starting P3D this meant when I put the glasses back on my desk and to the front and left of me to be precise this also turned out to be my last saved position...ie a bit on the left on the nose of the aircraft :lol:

So by assuring I was still in the cockpit wearing the Rift glasses before quitting P3D the problem went away and I found myself inside the cockpit starting P3D rather than sitting on the nose of the a/c.

What I still find a bit strange though is I thought the values in aircraft.cfg and/or cameras.cfg would indicate your initial position also when loading a saved flight/situation rather than your last position before quitting P3D would be used.

Maybe there's a setting for that somewhere I missed...?

Richard Åsberg