Sign in to follow this  
laserit

Ortho4xp and Canada

I'm very new to Ortho4xp

What is the best source to use for Canada?

I've experimented creating a few tiles in British Columbia with various degrees of success. When I tried with Bing, colors of the individual tiles seem to be very mismatched and there tends to be a lot of clouds.

I tried what I think is google and it seems to screw up a lot with blank tiles. I'd estimate about 20% of the individual tiles were blank.

I'm very impressed with what Ortho4xp is able to achieve, but does Canada just have crappy source photo's?

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

I am not familiar with the sources for Canada. However, you can check the quality with the preview feature of Ortho4XP or with a little tool called SAS planet. 

Hans

I'm very impressed with what Ortho4xp is able to achieve, but does Canada just have crappy source photo's?

Depends on where in Canada. Some of BC is yes, absolutely poor in regards to available imagery. I use both Bing and Google as sources for airport imagery, and in some areas it's very old and very low resolution. 

The general rule is that the further from higher population density areas and/or the further north you go, the more spotty the coverage becomes. And it also becomes apparent that some imagery is from certain satellite passes - you'll have a strip of good imagery bordered by very low resolution imagery on both sides.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I am not familiar with the sources for Canada. However, you can check the quality with the preview feature of Ortho4XP or with a little tool called SAS planet. 

There is a Preview feature in Ortho4XP?

I seem to have exactly the same problem with Australia. I live in Queensland and it is almost not worth it as the sources are so poor. I have done a fair bit in ZL18 and will redo most of that at ZL16 as it is simply not worth it with such poor source imagery.

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

There is a Preview feature in Ortho4XP?

I seem to have exactly the same problem with Australia. I live in Queensland and it is almost not worth it as the sources are so poor. I have done a fair bit in ZL18 and will redo most of that at ZL16 as it is simply not worth it with such poor source imagery.

I've been trying with ZL18 too

Maybe if I try ZL16 it might solve my my blank tile issues. I have a feeling that the blank tiles are because the images are not available at that resolution.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

I've been trying with ZL18 too

Maybe if I try ZL16 it might solve my my blank tile issues. I have a feeling that the blank tiles are because the images are not available at that resolution.

Not in my experience. I have tried 16,17,18 and all zoom levels have issues. It might not be the same tiles, of course.

What I HAVE found to be of limited use is to do a tile using (say) Bing. The best one you can find. Then I look through the Orthophotos and note which ones are no good, have clouds, etc. I then scan the same tile using another source (say, Google). Then I find the matching images that are wrong and rename them to the Bing format, then copy them across into the Bing folder. Then I delete the Google stuff.

This is very time consuming as you have to download 1300 images for each source you try. But I have fixed 30 or 40 photos in this way. It would be great if you could just pick the one image (or range of images) you wanted to download from a different source.

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+