Sign in to follow this  
amalishkin

TFDI 717

It's not quite on PMDG's level, but they update regularly and its not a bad aircraft. It just needs some things ironed out. Performance isn't the greatest (for me at least) and that's the major problem I have. There are a few other things they need to fix, but for 60 bucks? I think it's worth it for the amount of features you're getting. Plus, it's the only semi "study" level 717 out there, which is awesome. 

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

I am interested in TFDI 717. How is it not PMDG quality. From what I have seen, it actually looks a bit better than PMDG. So I guess the bottleneck is in the systems part?

Guest Mik75

It is an interesting release, with a lot of potential.

The handflying characteristics are top notch. I have no clue if they are "true to life", but the handling feels extremely good and believable. Systems and the corresponding EICAS messages work for the most part, but I haven't dug in to them too deep as of yet. Auto flight and FMS have some problems that need to be updated, but no show stopper for me.

What is really keeping me away from flying this thing is the horrible performance.

My system isn't the most powerful, but I can run all complex payware addons with a reasonable performance. Not so the 717, it causes stuttering, fluctuating fps, and all of that so badly, that it ruins the whole experience.

How does this compare to the FSLabs A320, performance wise? I get good fps with the PMDG stuff but the A320 hits like a ton of bricks on my system.

Well worth the money in my opinion! Beautiful modeling, especially the VC. They have also managed to get the cockpit displays to be very crisp and clear, where the pixels don´t interpolate, making them easier to read. Sure there are a few rough edges still, especially in the AP NAV and PROF-modes, and the MCDU isn´t complete, but Im sure they'll get there eventually. Performance in P3D is just spectacular, and it´s a dream to hand fly! Well worth the 60$! 

I have been watching this addon with much interest. One thing I don't like is the absence of 2D pop up panels for the FMC and overhead. Seems this would make using it very cumbersome. Any comments from those who have it on this issue? Beautiful airplane and I have been very tempted. Also being a long time Boeing user the learning curve seems a little intimidating, especially the FMC. Love the old DC-9 family though. 

Vic green

It's not PMDG level, but then again it's the first release from a brand new development team, and 3 weeks old. It has a lot of bugs, issues and missing features currently... but there's still a lot to like. You also pay $60 for full support for BOTH sims, which is awesome and I encourage more developers to do. We'll see if the upcoming updates take care of all the existing issues - that's really the make-or-break for TFDi right now.

Initial release was shaky for me, stutter/freeeze and unfluable. Never had such a problem with an addon before. But they fixed whatever issue (probably conflict with other dlls) in the 2nd update so happy to get that behind. Perf is definitely better than fsl a320 right now.

There are many issues to be fixed, both fmc/systems/lighting and external model, but I think they're making progress.

If they eventually achieve 80% of flythemaddog, I'd be happy.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

It's a great aircraft just needs some work and the developers are very dedicated

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

It has a lot of bugs, issues and missing features currently... but there's still a lot to like. You also pay $60.

Is there a post somewhere (or could someone make one) with a list? Comments like "a lot of bugs" concern me for a $60 add-on. That's not really cheap.

Eddie
KABQ

I purchased it on day one and can't seem to get to fly it with fluidity. With an I5-2500K at 4.4 ghz and a gtx1060, this is the only plane that makes my system too weak. The frame rate swings as well as scenery stuttering makes me think of the early days of FSX on weak cpu's. 

I am hoping that one of these days the issues will be resolved. Many swear by it, but at least I am one who cannot fly it.

Their support is great, and they've tried to help me.

I can't believe that I am the only one with this issue.

I don't want anyone to think that I am bashing the developers or the aircraft. I am simply describing my experience with it so far.

Tony