Sign in to follow this  
virtualflying

Captainsim $10 sale, which to choose?

All,

I'm trying to decide which plane to get from the CS sale, the L1011, or 737?

My friend says if I get the 737, to get the -100 expansion pack, and if I get the L1011, just buy the base.

Any suggestions?

I'm not going to be of any help. I have both and really like them. I guess, if pushed, ZI'd go with the L1011 simply because I like the looks better.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

They're both good, so if you can't get both, then I'd ask yourself how long is the average flight you like to make?

The 737 is good for short and medium hops, and in particular, the original 100 Series 737 was conceived as kind of a 'modern DC-3', in that it was intended to be a 'fill the tanks and make a lot of short hops to poorly equipped airports where it might not even be able to refuel'. It could do without much in the way of ground services because of its built-in airstairs, although the 200 series soon came along to give it a bit more flexibility. Note that the 737 can be equipped with a rough field deflector plate on the landing gear too to prevent FOD, so it really is something which can realistically get onto and off ropey runway surfaces at less fancy airports.

Historically, the 737 was the first jet airliner designed from the outset to have a crew of only two, although owing to US pilot union protestations (principally from United Airlines pilots, who claimed it was unsafe to not have a flight engineer), it often flew with a crew of three (this being the case until Lufthansa did a bunch of proving flights with it using only two pilots and demonstrated that it was safe to do so). As a flight simmer, it's worth bearing in mind that because of that intentional design to be operated by only two pilots, for an old-style airliner (i.e. without an FMC), the workload for a lone flight simmer is not anywhere near as high as it will be for the L1011, which was always designed to have a crew of three. Basically, if you can fly a Cessna 172 well enough IFR, you could pretty much jump in and fly a 737-100 without too much difficulty, at least in terms of CRM, if not in terms of landing it properly.

The L1011 Tristar typically made flights of 1,000 miles minimum in its heyday, so if you prefer long-haul simming, it'll be more up your street, and speaking of streets, the L1011, needs a fairly long street to get in and out of, particularly at high landing and take off weights, so unlike the 737, it can't get into and out of smaller airports. Minimum runway length for landing the L1011 is between 6,300 and 6,800 ft (depending on the variant), whereas the good old 737-200 can get down onto about 5,500 feet, even less in more favourable conditions, and probably a lot less if you really stand on the brakes and let everything hang out to slow it down lol, notwithstanding the fact that you can really abuse that sort of thing in FS and land in much shorter distances with most FS airliners.

Note too that there is a freeby demo of the Captain Sim 737 available, which might help you decide. If you like old bangers and VOR-to-VOR/INS navigation, you can't go wrong with either of them really, but if you like more sophistication, then the L-1011 is more likely to float your boat, because the early 737 is not exactly replete with sophisticated avionics, which actually was its strong point, in the real world of operations. It's not the best selling airliner of all time for nothing.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Not a whole lot is 10 bux.

It's $10 OFF isn't it? I nearly sprung for a 737 at $10 and I hate airliners. OK, not hate, but they're not my thing.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Both among the best of the CS aircraft.  I think the 1011 is superior to the JF, so if long-haul tri-jets are your thing you'll be happy (note: No FMC, just CIVA or FSX-flightplan navigation).  The CS and Milviz 737's are high quality and neck & neck, so again it comes down to your preferences - short haul/short runways, you'll want the 737.

For $10 apiece - I'd make the leap for both. I wondered if we'd see the CS sale again.

"It's $10 OFF isn't it?" Nope, $10 for the base aircraft.  Expansions add to the cost, but you really can't go wrong at these prices

Hans Soule

All,

I'm trying to decide which plane to get from the CS sale, the L1011, or 737?

My friend says if I get the 737, to get the -100 expansion pack, and if I get the L1011, just buy the base.

Any suggestions?

Here is my suggestion. The sale comes but once a year. If you can spare $20 get both. They are both really good and fun to fly.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Hi folks.

I have the B737-200 base pack and the -200 ADV and have to say they're quite good, both inside and outside the cockpit. Looking to purchase the -200F (freighter and converted to freight models) during the sale!.

Highly recommended.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Actually, if you haven't got them and you like old bangers, their 727 and 707 are really good too by the way. In particular the good old 'lead sled' is great fun to drive across the Atlantic. So named because it doesn't have a hydraulically assisted rudder, thus 707 pilots ended up with thigh muscles like Arnie Schwarzenegger lol. Not something you have to worry about on the sim version. :-)

Given their propensity for expansions, it's just a shame CS never made a 720 variant add-on for their 707, would have bought that in a heartbeat.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I think the L1011 is the better overall product, but they're both really fun aircraft.  I enjoy the 727 most of all tough.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

727 are great. I will be buying both in P3d versions.

The 727 is quite an historic aircraft. A must have!. I have it in all variants (passenger, both basic and ADV versions, plus the freighter version) and you'll notice is very stable in flight.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

When is the sale? I just went there put it in my cart and it was $34

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

For all wondering, the sale starts on the 11th of January.

I'm probably going to just get both 737 and L1011, because like what Mike said, only $10 each per year :)

I'm noot experienced at all in the old route programming though. What is the navigation like on them? Default P3D planning?