Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Browsing parts - what is NVMe ?

Looking at these newer ssd's...  what is the difference between what I have now (a samsung 840 evo) and this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E250BW/dp/B01LYFKX41/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483997666&sr=1-3&keywords=m2+ssd

Do I need a special mobo for this?  Are they even worth it?  About 250 bucks for a 500GB.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Looking at these newer ssd's...  what is the difference between what I have now (a samsung 840 evo) and this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E250BW/dp/B01LYFKX41/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483997666&sr=1-3&keywords=m2+ssd

Do I need a special mobo for this?  Are they even worth it?  About 250 bucks for a 500GB.

Yup you need a motherboard that has support for these faster hard drives

Rich Sennett

Yup you need a motherboard that has support for these faster hard drives

Can you recommend one?  Does it only have to have M2 support?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I would go with an asus motherboard and do your homework on these type of drives if you building a new system 

http://rog.asus.com/articles/product-news/ssd-guide-pci-express-m-2-msata-and-sata-express-the-differences-explained/

more info

These will put hair on your chest lol

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Republic-of-Gamers-Products/

My next board  :wink: maybe the next gen well see - I have the Formula VII at the moment - luv it

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-VIII-FORMULA/

Rich Sennett

Don't waste your money. Put it towards a better GPU or CPU.

Mine benchmarks as it should (and said benchmarks are indeed crazy) but zero real-world benefit, flightsim or otherwise. It was my biggest 2016 hardware disappointment.

• Upvote 3

Mine benchmarks as it should (and said benchmarks are indeed crazy) but zero real-world benefit, flightsim or otherwise. It was my biggest 2016 hardware disappointment.

Yikes 

Rich Sennett

On paper, in benchmarks, M.2, and even U.2 are great. But in everyday use... boot times will be faster and running your usual applications will be improved somewhat, but it won't make you throw your arms in the air and arrange a celebratory party.

Hence why I went for a SATA 850 Evo. Fast enough and cheaper.

If an M.2 owner knows better, I'm interested in their response.

Having said that, If you happen to be building a compete new rig, and money isn't really an issue, then it makes sense to grab the latest kit. 

Boot times are the same for me, but then again I'm still on Win7 64-bit. The only thing I can give it is that I save maybe a second or two transferring huge files between it and my SATA SSD. But I don't do that often.

I'd agree with Martin that if you're doing a new build and money ain't no thang, then why not. It's likely that newer drivers, applications, hardware etc. in the future will make use of the [greatly] increased bandwidth...

So boot times of windows and software really won't benefit any more from sata 6gbps?

Good to know as I can now just buy a mobo, ram

And cpu.

Does Asrock have a parent company / are they any good? I wanted to go asus but even their 200-$300 boards get 3.5-4 / 5 stars.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

So boot times of windows and software really won't benefit any more from sata 6gbps?

Again, in practical, real-world use, I can't tell any difference.

And I've had lots of luck with ASRock boards. They certainly do not enjoy the same reputations as Asus, MSI and others but, somehow, I've been lucky with them. MoBos seem to be a pretty rough product category, at least insofar as customer reviews go: they either suffer from people only leaving negative reviews (and not positive reviews when the boards work well) or QC among MoBo manufacturers is pretty bad. Regardless, you're bound to find lots of poor reviews among them. But I've rolled the dice with ASRock, because their value (considering they work) is pretty good.

Asus best for reliability according to this. Least returns in 2015. Don't know about 2016.

No issues at all with my Z170 Deluxe.

https://www.techpowerup.com/218171/asus-motherboards-adjudged-as-having-the-industrys-most-reliable

In fact the new BIOS for mine has been great. Lower voltage with 5WO, haven't bothered manually overclocking as I did with previous BIOS. Fan XPert working great too.