Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Question for PMDG users of X-Plane

I got an e-mail today from an online flight sim store stating that X-Plane 11 beta is available for purchase and I was wondering what those of you who have PMDG products on X-Plane think of it. Does it offer anything more than FSX? Are the frame rates any better/worse? Are the physics any better/worse? I ask, as I am considering changing to X-Plane as it looks good in the videos I've seen and is supported by the people who made it, unlike FSX, which is not. My other concern is that I've heard that there's a lack of airports and realistic scenery for X-Plane compared to FSX, which atleast models the entire world fairly accurately.

for me yes xplane may lack default airports but look up misterx or other people they make freeware scenery full airports as in fsdreamteam quality full detail but free i get about 50 frames in 10 and about 25 in 11 but to be fair 11 is still in beta so its not optimized yet if you want to try xplane and get a real feel for it i would start in 10 where you would get a better understanding of the sytems 

Hi. firstly beware its a beta... the latsest two updates have slowed many systems down, and for those that use it to just fly, and not actually help the beta test process are all up in arms over it.

Having said that XP11 is stunning, the first thing that got me (as a total noob to xplane) was that the runways were not flat, they are sloped, undualting very much like what the runways of the real world are.

​to answer your questions. 

​Physics, im not a pilot, just 20 years of microsoft/p3d dyanamics to go by, it feels different, and i feel like i can controll things a little better, but at the same time as writing this, the ground friction is funny, and i dont need any power to taxi (its a beta so will get fixed) - tho I think I have had better landings in XP lately.

​Frame rates. 11.3 saw me in roughly the same place as P3D. in PMDG plane. as mentioned above .4 and .5 somethings a miss, and that will change soon enough, I suspect .6 will follow quickly such is the discussion over at .org. 

Lack of airports and scenery? seriously the stock scenery is just stunning, I have Aerosoft EDDF for P3D, and I taxi'ed around in XP11 and the similarities were huge,

​They even modelled my local airport EGNS with its covered walkway, so I wouldn't worry about scenery at this stage.

​oh, and they used some sort of open map thing in the scenery, so you can actually find the road that you live on.

​The weather needs work (rumoured to happen before final release) but I wouldn't let that stop you. 

The beta is free, but you are restricted to a small area I believe, try it. its the licence for the whole package that you would need to buy.

​good luck,

​Liam

Liam Reynolds - EGNS

sig_smaller.jpg

Youtube Channel

freeware scenery full airports as in fsdreamteam quality full detail but free

That is an opinion.  In my opinion, XPL still has a ways to go with rendering realistic sceneries and shinny airplanes.  I tried the free stuff and the surfaces and textures appeared as if created for the Sunday funnies. Very flat and unrealistic. I even tried some payware from Aerosoft and it was no better, I believe due to the limitations of the rendering engine.  I'm sure they are making improvements, but they have a long ways to go to get to DX11 quality.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Yes, the X-Plane 11 beta is available, you can even download the demo for free if you want to try it out first but its time limited. The only PMDG plane available for X-Plane is the DC-6 but I haven't tried it in XP11 yet but others have.

1) XP Is completely different

2)You can download a trial and test it for yourself

3) there are no pmdg productS, just singular, product, the dc-10

4) The above works in XP 10 as well, which is not beta

3) there are no pmdg productS, just singular, product, the dc-10

DC-6, not DC-10

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I got an e-mail today from an online flight sim store stating that X-Plane 11 beta is available for purchase and I was wondering what those of you who have PMDG products on X-Plane think of it. Does it offer anything more than FSX? Are the frame rates any better/worse? Are the physics any better/worse? I ask, as I am considering changing to X-Plane as it looks good in the videos I've seen andis supported by the people who made it, unlike FSX, which is not. My other concern is that I've heard that there's a lack of airports and realistic scenery for X-Plane compared to FSX, which atleast models the entire world fairly accurately.

I love X-Plane, I think it offers more than FSX in many ways, firstly, X-Plane (especially X-Plane 11) brings major eyecandy upgrades and I think that stock X-Plane looks worlds better than stock FSX.  You get a lot more visual effects and lighting effects than FSX offers - just look at pictures...  I also find that installing and uninstalling stuff in XP is much, much easier - for most add-on aircraft and most add-on scenery, just drag the folder into "Aircraft" or "Custom scenery respectively.  Its also a much cleaner installation and to remove X-Plane is as simple as dragging the folder to the Trash I mean, Recycling Bin...  If you want to reinstall X-Plane onto a new computer, then simply copy the X-Plane 10 folder on the desktop  to a external HD and paste it onto the desktop of the new computer!  Thats it! (This might not be correct but I does work perfectly fine) (and then reactivate all your products but thats beside the point). You also have the ability to change the time of day, aircraft livery, and manipulate the camera (in a way that is similar to EzDok) without *having* to go select a time from menu, restart/select a different aircraft, or use an external add-on respectively!  I'm not an expert on this but X-Plane's physics are meant to be much better than that of FSX's. (and you have runway slopes I think). Also, XP doesn't include airport scenery out of the box - so when you first get XP, (most airports excluding those from Aerosoft and some others that also include scenery out of the box - but that is limited). But head over to the plane org website and you will find plenty of freeware that is really good.  The Frame rate will probably be a bit less than FSX but its up to you to tweak the rendering options to get the optimum in eye candy vs performance.  Updates in XP are also really nice to do and are easy set and forget procedures.

​I am not an expert on XP nor FSX - I am just going off my knowledge - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

I started using and learning X-Plane (now 10.51, 64bit) as the PMDG DC-6 was rolled out. After using XP until now but  revitalising my P3D installation right now there  arised some pro's and con's after using XP for 9 months:

Pro's:

-stunning stock sceneries

-very easy to use and to configure camera system (9 num keys for position saving, smooth visual augmented adjustment in the 3D space). That's a real lack in P3D/FSX !

-feeling of very realistic flight behaviour. This is a subjective feeling. I'm not a pilot !

-smooth ground handling

-good and smooth graphics capability (rare stutter).

-Possibility to make minor adjustments by your own at sceneries with the WED tool.

-stunning night illumination

Con's:

-no season adjustment for sceneries. Always summer ! There is some rumor that XP 11 will have a solution.

-all available airliner models (IXEG, JAR, FlightFactor etc.) have partially severe bugs (e.g. IXEG some times leaving unexpectedly a valid FMC route !) or are prone to crash XP completely - I'm sorry ! Simulation depth has always a potential to be improved. The only exception is PMDG DC-6 !

-poor standard in terms of documentation and tutorials (exception PMDG). Sometimes there is a POH available which is a copy of the original. But this is mostly useless because a lot of functionality and logic is not (yet) implemented in the add ons.

-The general support standard has some potential to be improved !

-unclear release policy of XP: Now XP 11 beta....how long?

-when the count of installed add ons is rising the risk of some cumbersome interferences between general plugins, gizmo, plugins  brought by add ons and sceneries (why??) is rising also which takes days to chase after and to find the problem. I miss some proven guidelines for the programming folks to be followed that this frustrating and time consuming trouble shooting can be avoided. This topic is commonly called "Quality Management"!

Thomas Burchard

The PMDG DC-6 is awesome. I cant wait fro they're next X-Plane roll out.

I spend equal time with P3D and X-Plane, love them both. Left FSX behind about 3 years ago. One of the things I like about X-Plane the most is that I can visually see altitude and distance a lot better than I can with P3D/FSX. I feel more immersed in X-Plane.

Try the X-Plane 11 demo, you'll love it and if you decide to purchase you'll also get X-Plane 10 for free if you purchase directly from Laminar.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

stunning stock sceneries

Really? I have XP10 and the stock scenery is awful. Not as good as stock FSX scenery. You can download freeware scenery to supplement it which is OK in places but quality is patchy.

Back on topic, I have the PMDG DC-6 in XP-10 and it's great. There are an increasing number of good quality payware addons becoming available too. Some are complex and deep simulations. XP out of the box is still rather an empty world to fly in though.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Playing around with X-Plane 11 Beta 5(No add-ons or plugins). It looks much better when you see it on your monitor.

ScreenHunter_408620Jan.20132009.19.jpgff6b2e44-4540-48bc-930d-51de4c0b9b99.jpgScreenHunter_408920Jan.20132009.52.jpg