Sign in to follow this  

Wait for the (postponed) 1080 Ti or not...

So the 1080 Ti has been postponed: http://wccftech.com/gtx-1080-ti-coming-pax-east-nvidia-aib/

I was ready to order a brand new system with things like a i7 7700K, Z270 mobo, 32 GB of at least 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 1 TB M.2 and a... 1080 Ti. But now I will have to wait yet another two months AT LEAST. And I've been waiting for a while already. My current main sim is XP11 and I am having fun with Aerofly FS 2 too. 

What would you do: wait for the 1080 Ti or get a 1080 (plus the rest of the system) NOW? 

I compared the specs and the 1080 Ti really looks a lot better, but well, the waiting game you always have to play with PC hardware is becoming boring...  :wink:

That postpone really increased my titan x pascal desire...

As for your question, how do you plan to use XP11, VR, 4k, 1440p, multi monitor?

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

What would you do: wait for the 1080 Ti or get a 1080 (plus the rest of the system) NOW?

I would wait. However, that's just me - my 980ti benchmarks close to a 1070, so I was planning on skipping the 1080 and going straight to a 1080ti regardless of the time it takes to reach market. But I'm also crossing my fingers and hoping that the 1080ti represents as much of a gain as the 980ti did.

You could of course, upgrade the bulk of your system now, and just use your current card until the 1080 ti is out. Smaller financial bite that way.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I would wait. However, that's just me - my 980ti benchmarks close to a 1070, so I was planning on skipping the 1080 and going straight to a 1080ti regardless of the time it takes to reach market. But I'm also crossing my fingers and hoping that the 1080ti represents as much of a gain as the 980ti did.

You could of course, upgrade the bulk of your system now, and just use your current card until the 1080 ti is out. Smaller financial bite that way.

Im on the same step as you Jimmy, and i add that even the 1080 change does not pay if you have 980ti at least for P3D you have several users here that made that change and the gains where minimal.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

For what its worth

I took my 1080 out and replaced my Titan X (non pascal) into my 4770k @4.6 in preparation for my new 7700k system that I'm building.

To my surprise the Titan X is noticeably outperforming the 1080 with XP11 and my 4770k 

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

For what its worth

I took my 1080 out and replaced my Titan X (non pascal) into my 4770k @4.6 in preparation for my new 7700k system that I'm building.

To my surprise the Titan X is noticeably outperforming the 1080 with XP11 and my 4770k 

wooo thats something really surprising. Thanks for that info Floyd

Marques

As for your question, how do you plan to use XP11, VR, 4k, 1440p, multi monitor?

Good question. I plan to go to 4K and I am considering to get a Rift. I at least want to be ready for both. :wink: Certainly no multi monitor though.

Yes, I also considered to simply put my current GTX780 in the new PC until the 1080 Ti is out but the plan here was to move my current PC entirely to the next generation... :wink: However, it might be possible to postpone that. I doubt though if my new PC with the specs above would be a lot better with just a GTX780 so on that case I might wait anyway... in either case I have to let the next generation wait a while. I don't think that if I am spending a lot of money on the best PC I can get it is wise to hurry with a GPU I might regret later on.

Good question. I plan to go to 4K and I am considering to get a Rift. I at least want to be ready for both. :wink: Certainly no multi monitor though.

Yes, I also considered to simply put my current GTX780 in the new PC until the 1080 Ti is out but the plan here was to move my current PC entirely to the next generation... :wink: However, it might be possible to postpone that. I doubt though if my new PC with the specs above would be a lot better with just a GTX780 so on that case I might wait anyway... in either case I have to let the next generation wait a while. I don't think that if I am spending a lot of money on the best PC I can get it is wise to hurry with a GPU I might regret later on.

In that case i really recommend you to wait or if you are impatient like me :) get the titan x pascal! If you go with a 1080 for 4k or VR you gonna be able to play of course but you gonna need to get down with those sliders!

Marques

.interesting .. now I got a question,will 2 GTX980TI outperform single 1080

X-Plane 11

Considering:

i7-K6700 4ghz (will be OC)  

60" 4K Monitor

2 40" 4K monitors for side views

Instrument by AirManager over the Network

GA Low & slow mainly along the Pacific coast with Ortho4XP 

Any thoughts ??

Cheers 

Yair 

Most certain wiil do, but forget that, as far as I know X plane doesnt support SLI. And in P3D more problems than bennefits.

Marques

as far as I know X plane doesnt support SLI. And in P3D more problems than bennefits.

Correct. SLI is a dead end street, specially with DX12 around which makes SLI a thing from the past. Now all we need is LR to make XP DX12 compatible.  :wink:

So the 1080 Ti has been postponed: http://wccftech.com/gtx-1080-ti-coming-pax-east-nvidia-aib/

I was ready to order a brand new system with things like a i7 7700K, Z270 mobo, 32 GB of at least 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 1 TB M.2 and a... 1080 Ti. But now I will have to wait yet another two months AT LEAST. And I've been waiting for a while already. My current main sim is XP11 and I am having fun with Aerofly FS 2 too. 

I compared the specs and the 1080 Ti really looks a lot better, but well, the waiting game you always have to play with PC hardware is becoming boring...  :wink:

I would build the new system now and use your existing graphics card and if necessary your old, lower res, monitor. Then you can enjoy your new rig and be looking forward to the 1080Ti's eventual release.

Flight sim is still CPU biased. So for the sim, you would see a substantial improvement. Games, not so much.

Most certain wiil do, but forget that, as far as I know X plane doesnt support SLI. And in P3D more problems than bennefits.

.tnx.

However, 3D doesn't really bother me, have no idea what is LR, I ,mainly, trying to gain performance, and thought that 2 980TI connected via LSI Bridge will do better than 1 1070

Reg.

Yair    

.tnx.

However, 3D doesn't really bother me, have no idea what is LR, I ,mainly, trying to gain performance, and thought that 2 980TI connected via LSI Bridge will do better than 1 1070

Reg.

Yair    

If you search some benchmarks you will see that 2 gtx 980 ti will perform similar or even better in some cases than a 1080, for sure better than a 1070, the problem is the SLI issues that somes games have and the others that dont support it, i also own a 980 ti and tought for some time on buying a second one, but after reading all the issues from current SLI owners i given up. For flightsimming, X-plane doenst support, and P3D as minor gains, as i stated before.

Marques

If you search some benchmarks you will see that 2 gtx 980 ti will perform similar or even better in some cases than a 1080, for sure better than a 1070, the problem is the SLI issues that somes games have and the others that dont support it, i also own a 980 ti and tought for some time on buying a second one, but after reading all the issues from current SLI owners i given up. For flightsimming, X-plane doenst support, and P3D as minor gains, as i stated before.

.. I do not play games. My Rig is used for X-Plane only. ... I understand that XP doesn't support SLI but by connecting 2 GPU it will take advantage of the total

VRAM and you will be able to connect more monitors, am I right ??

Yair      

BTW

What issues I face when connecting 2 GPU via SLI Bridge