Sign in to follow this  
who4ever

Attenuator

Attenuators, as the word suggests, are intended to reduce something, as in 'noise attenuation' on stereos to make things quieter. But I assume you mean 'thrust attenuators', which can be found on Citation jets and a few other aircraft. They comprise of paddles at the rear of the jet's engine, which stop the idle thrust from being deflected backwards, by redirecting its vector. They are sort of similar to clamshell thrust reversers found on early jet airliners, however, their function is not to reverse the thrust, merely to reduce its effectiveness when taxying so as to make that easier. Strictly speaking, they are named incorrectly, since they don't actually attenuate the amount of thrust developed at all, they merely reduce its effect on the aeroplane by stopping thrust from going in a direction where it would push the aeroplane along.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Its in FS9.  View option on the Menu bar.  In the Cessna 172 for example, check it, and a small rectangular box on the upper right of the instrument console padding opens up but seems to do nothing.  I did the same on the Moony Bravo and saw no change in the display.