Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone nopticed a problem like this?. The ground profile in the centre of this flight plan is much exaggerated. No way are the hills in the centre of England almost 10,000 feet high! Rest of the ground profile looks OK.

peak_zpswga4knpu.png

The elevation source data I'm using has too much limitations and problems so I plan to get rid of this in the future.

I know of problems like this in northern Italy and near El Alto in Bolivia.

But I cannot reproduce this one with your flight plan. See screenshot.

These artefacts can disappear sometimes after a minute or so when it updates data in the background.

If not: You can clear the cache for the elevation data either manually:

Got to "Tools" -> "Options" -> tab "Cache" and select "Show disk cache in file manager". From there to "maps\earth". Delete the srtm2 folder. Restart program.

or you can also delete the cache from the Options dialog if you don't care about the other cached maps. But this will run in background and can take a while.

Alex

ynppEdC.png

Many thanks for the speedy reply, Alex. It's a great tool!

I tried deleting the cache as suggested and that cleared the problem.

It would be a shame to lose the elevation data though....

Regards

John

Hi John,

glad it is working now.

Sorry, I was not clear:

I plan to get rid of this online data source and replace it with another one. Elevation data will remain, whatever source will be used.

Alex

• Upvote 1

Hi  Alex,

At first, thank you very much for making this program available.

I like moutain valley flying and with this tool, especialy the srtm data/ altitude shading and the flightplan elevation profile, the flightplanning and flightfollowing is easy and fun.

But flying from Locarno (LSLZ) to Raron (LSMN) via Italy over the Simplon pass, I encountered the 'North Italian problems' / srtm spikes you mentiobned.

So I would thank you in advance for a hopefully fast introduction of a more reliable elevation data source.

See you, Jan

Jan,

spikes can appear while the data is updated. The Italian error are mountains in the wrong place. See screenshot. All is ok if you move the route above the white line (45°N).

I'll try to add offline elevation data in the next release but I cannot guarantee it will make it.

Alex

9MUgW2w.png

Hi Alex,

I probably did not use the right word (spike). What I see on two places in  the elevation profile is slopes of 90 degree.

The location of my problem is in the surroundig of N 46.1966, E 8.1514 (where the 'Simplon Strasse' (CH) changed to 'Strada Statale 33 del Sempione (I))

Moreover I see some inconsistency between the flightplan on the map and the distance data in the elevation profile. If I move the mouse slowly from left to right over  a 90 degree slope in the elevation profile, the positionmarker on the map jumps suddenly almost 1 nm forward. It looks like that this nm is not present/surpressed in the distance scale of the elevation profile.

See you, Jan

Hi Jan,

another quirk... The jumping of the marker is because of a workaround I had to do. The used function from Marble just stops delivering data at a certain point.

The slow background updates will be gone too once this is replaced with the GLOBE data.

Alex