Sign in to follow this  
DarkRider2k3

Trying to improve FPS in FSX: SE. Having issues..

For starters, here is my system specs:

Windows 10 Pro

FSX Steam Edition

16 GB DDR3 RAM (2133)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB)

AMD FX-8350 8 core (4.0 Ghz)

My add ons:

Megascenery earth Pittsburgh

Night Environment Pennsylvania

FlyTampa Boston

PMDG 737 (with 1611 AIRAC)

World of AI

vPilot

Now, my issue has been terrible FPS in the game. I'm not wanting 60 FPS, but I'd like to get it steady around 25-30 FPS. My game can reach 18-20 FPS, but it can also tank down to 5. I've had it cause issues on a landing once from dropping to 5 FPS. My current situation has it a bit better.. around a steady 15 FPS, but during flight there were moments it tanked down to 5 (mostly due to cloud layer)

Things I've tried:

FS Super Tweaker (with the .cfg tweaks for which core to use, widescreen, and the mem/bufer pools tweak)

nVidia Inspector

Turning off traffic

full screen mode vs windowed

I know that the game is old, and can't make use of multiple cores, but I do feel like I should have better frames then I currently do. I've tried lots of searching and the only thing I can see is that people with older graphics cards then mine are getting better frames.  Any help would be great!!

Hi,

My first bit of advice would be to read through the AVSIM guides which offer a load of advice.

My next bit of advice would be to turn off your frame rate counter.

If you want some detailed help you will need to provide a lot more details such as your cfg  as well as you fsx-se settings.

Most of us tune our systems with a fresh install ,using a default aircraft and try to get the sim smooth to the eye.It is only after arriving at that point will we then add on any of our addons .After each extra bit of software added we check everything.It is tedious but in the long run it is worth it.

The Se is known not to need tweaking to the extent of the boxed version,so Read ,Digest, then have a go.(Just checked and at EGLL UK2000 version the NGX is steady on the ground at 23! but the sim is smooth airborne it rises to 30 as it is locked)  

Try lowering the following settings:

Autogen density, water, uncheck light bloom

If you're using DX9, high water settings and light bloom will hurt performance.

Also turn off Traffic, especially road traffic.

Your combination of fancy airports, AI traffic, and heavy duty airplane are going to tax your system.. that is just a fact.

Bert

I'm gonna read through the guides now, but here are my settings:

(fsx cfg)

// This Steam Edition FSX config Tweaked by FSSuperTweaker on 1/7/2017 7:04:52 PM
// FSSuperTweaker is brought to you by HawgDawg4life of msflights.net.
// Stop by for support or to visit anytime...

[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693751040
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693751040
D3D10=0
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
Effects_Quality=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
Texture_Quality=3
Image_Quality=1
See_Self=1
TEXT_SCROLL=0
HIGHMEMFIX=1

[sOUND]
AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000
PrimaryDevice={00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
VoiceDevice={00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
SOUND=1
Sound_Quality=2
SOUND_LOD=1
UISound=1
AmbientUI=1

[Display]
ChangeTime=4.000000
TransitionTime=4.000000
ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64
NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64
InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0
InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0
InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoBrakesEnable=True
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True
InfoPauseEnable=True
InfoSlewEnable=True
InfoStallEnable=True
InfoOverspeedEnable=True
BLOOM_EFFECTS=0
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=800
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30
WIDEVIEWASPECT=True

[Main]
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
ProcSpeed=7210
PerfBucket=7
Maximized=0
Location=-8,3,1028,737,\\.\DISPLAY6
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1

[PANELS]
Image_Quality=1
DEFAULT_VIEW=0
QUICKTIPS=1
PANEL_OPACITY=100
PANEL_MASKING=1
PANEL_STRETCHING=1
UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0

[Weather]
WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1
MinGustTime=10
MaxGustTime=500
MinGustRampSpeed=1
MaxGustRampSpeed=200
MinVarTime=5
MaxVarTime=50
MinVarRampSpeed=10
MaxVarRampSpeed=75
TurbulenceScale=0.750000
WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com
WeatherServerPort=80
WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0
AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1
DynamicWeather=0
DownloadWindsAloft=0
DisableTurbulence=0
Cloud_Draw_Distance=4
Detailed_Clouds=1
Cloud_Coverage_Density=8
THERMAL_VISUALS=0

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.0]
Mode=1920x1080x32
Anisotropic=1
TriLinear=0

[AccelerationPack]
ControlsFirstRun=0
HomePageFirstRun=0

[CONTROLS]
Controls_Default=Standard
Controls_Current=Standard
KBDAIL=64
KBDELEV=64
KBDRUD=64

[TextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6

[TextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
GForce=1,3
FuelPercentage=1,4

[TextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
GForce=2,3
FuelPercentage=2,4

[slewTextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5

[slewTextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2

[slewTextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2

[Trusted]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Saitek\ProFlight FSX Plugin\SaiFlightSimX.exe.onqzkiwtuccqllnioqnhnzczohaetnkqaztkqruu=1
PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll.ezirncqhrbrbtetqwtihzcohuttqbzeluqteonnc=1
PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_Interface.dll.zzkuiiuznuaehwqanieukttheoakbqqhkknunllc=1
RAASPRO\RAASPRO.dll.crlekbkezthniczlliowucecahnccnritihkeznt=1
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\gauges\PMDG_737NGX.dll.uquhoeionwqkonbcbknwatonlcrittlkohqaeenn=2

[DynamicHeadMovement]
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000
MaxHeadAngle=5.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.300000
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000

[VirtualCopilot]
VirtualCopilotActive=1

[uSERINTERFACE]
ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1
SelectAircraftManufacturer=All
SelectAircraftPublisher=PMDG
SelectAircraftType=All
PageID=1
OpenATCOnCreate=0
SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0
PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0
PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
SITUATION=FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM
Map_Orientation=2

[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]
SHOW_AIRPORTS=0
SHOW_VORS=0
SHOW_NDBS=0
SHOW_APPROACHES=0
SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
SHOW_AIRSPACE=0
SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1
SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1
SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1
SHOW_DATATAGS=1
SHOW_TERRAIN=1

[FACILITIES]
COUNTRY=
STATE=
CITY=
GTL_BUTTON=1290

[ATC]
ShowATCText=1
COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFF
COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6
COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21B
COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00
COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840
AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=1
UsePilotVoice=1
PilotVoice=0

[PointOfInterestSystem]
CycleSetting=0

[sCENERY]
LENSFLARE=1
Dawn_Dusk_Smoothing=1
Image_Complexity=5

[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=20
GADensity=20
FreewayDensity=20
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=40
LeisureBoatsDensity=40
IFROnly=0
Airport_Scenery_Density=1

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
Mesh_Complexity=100
Mesh_Resolution=25
Texture_Resolution=29
Autogen_Density=4
Detail_Texture=1
Water_Effects=6

[AContain]
ShowLabels=1
ShowUserLabel=0
ShowLabelManufacturer=1
ShowLabelModel=1
ShowLabelTailNumber=0
ShowLabelDistance=1
ShowLabelAltitude=1
ShowLabelAirline=0
ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0
ShowLabelFlightPlan=0
ShowLabelContainerId=0
ShowLabelAirspeed=0
ShowLabelHeading=0
LabelDelay=1000
LabelColor=FFFF0000

[iNTERNATIONAL]
ASLAT=2
ASLON=1
MEASURE=0

[REALISM]
PFactor=0.000000
Torque=0.000000
GyroEffect=0.000000
CrashTolerance=0.000000
General=0.000000
UnlimitedFuel=True
AllowEngineDamage=False
TrueAirspeed=False
AutoCoord=False
RealMixture=False
StressDamage=False
GEffect=False
ManualLights=False
GyroDrift=False
CrashWithDyn=False
CrashDetection=False
AutoTrim=False

[sIM]
SYSCLOCK=1

[sTARTUP]
DEMO=0
SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1
STARTUP_DEMO=
LoadWindow=1

[Misc]
Com_Rate=7
[bUFFERPOOLS]
REJECTTHRESHOLD=131072
POOLSIZE=0

[mods by FSSuperTweaker]
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000
ALLOW_SHADER_30=1
DISABLEPRELOAD=1
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=60
MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=4
FORCEDWINDOWEDVSYNC=1
SMALLPARTREJECTRADIUS=1.0
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=.11
[mods by FSSuperTweaker]
[MULTIPLAYER]
condAccoutPassword=0

Nvidia Inspector:

nVidia%20inspector%201_zpswuqh5emh.png

nVidia%20inspector%202_zps0eexy5pp.png

FSX config:

Target Frame Rate: 30
1920x1080x32 resolution
Anisotropic filtering
Anti-Aliasing off
Global Texture Resolution: Max
Dx10: off
Lens Flare: On
Light Bloom: Off
Advanced Animations: On
Single Line Text

3-D virtual cockpit on
Show Cockpit ToolTips: On
High Resolution 3-D: On
Aircraft Casts shadows on Ground: On
Aircraft Casts shadows on self: off
Landing Lights Illuminate ground: On
2-D transparency: 0%

All Scenery on scenery tab is Max (or checked) except:
Water Effects: High (2.x)
Ground Scenery Shadows: Off
Autogen Density: Very Dense

Cloud Draw Distance: 70mi
Thermal Visualization: None
Detailed Clouds
Cloud Coverage: Maximum
Winds Aloft and Disable turbulence both unchecked
rate at which weather changes: No Change

Traffic is almost all off. Airport Vehicle Density is minimum, Land and Sea traffic is 0%, and General/Airline traffic density is 0%

Hopefully that helps. 

I spent years tweaking my FSX and FSX:SE. I did have an intel i5 the whole time so your AMD might make a difference. If I were to tweak my .cfg and settings from yours to what I always found best, I'd do:

Getting the DX10 Fixer and running in DX10 mode with bufferpools left at default (noticably more FPS and night/day difference in smoothness in my experience)

Texture max resolution to 2048 - 4096 stresses the gpu in clouds, and 2048 looks great anyways

No aircraft ground shadows - possibly aircraft casts shadows on itself. I take a hit when ground shadows are on

Texture bandwith multiplier to 80

Fiber Frame Time Fraction is best at .26 (on my current computer, was .20 when I had my 2500k at 4.5ghz) *but that number is definitely affected by your processor model and frequency*

Scenery settings: Level of Detail Radius = large, Texture Resolution = 7cm, Water Effects = low 2x, Scenery Complexity = Dense, Autogen Density = Very Dense. No special effects detail, no ground shadows, and the mesh stuff around half. I am aware that others are crazy about the scenery and VFR stuff, but all that I wanted was crisp-looking ground around airports and cities

Also no traffic nor airport ground traffic. Kinda sucks and the world feels lifeless but if your goal is frames, then there's that

For best smoothness, Adaptive 1/2 V-Sync in Nvidia Inspector, along with Triple Buffering On - this specifically seems to help my system in both FSX and X-Plane with stutters

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

A lot of good advice has already been put out here.  I just have a couple of things to add.

NOTE:  The recommendations below are for a struggling system, rather than being general advice.

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 is going to take some processing power (thus reduce frames). I don't run using photoreal scenery as you're doing, so I'm not sure if this setting is required by Megascenery Earth.

Global Texture Resolution - going down a notch if you can is something to look at.

Shadows and Reflections can really affect frame rates, I'd try turning them off.  If you're flying an airliner, you probably won't notice them very much if at all.

If you listed your weather engine then I apologize as I must have missed it.  If you're using ActiveSkyNext or AS2016, try using 3 cloud layers instead of the default 5 layers. This might help quite a bit.  If you're running ASN/AS2016, then try setting your cloud draw distance to 90 (you'll be getting an error pop at 70) may actually help.  Also, may believe that AS2016 is tougher on the frames than ASN (presumably due to cloud art processing even if you're not using it... but I dunno the specifics on this).  If you have both, try using ASN.

I saw your TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT is set to 800, which is pretty darned high. I'd consult the AVSIM Configuration Guide on that.

Try setting your Frame Rate to 40. FSX/P3D frame rates are not what the seem and you MIGHT get some better overall performance at 40 on your rig (though it could introduce some stutters... just give it a try and see what happens).

The advice to study the AVSIM Configuration Guide is GREAT ADVICE.... it's worth a read, cover to cover. 

I know how frustrating it can be to get your system tuned up - hang in there!

I wish you the very, very best!

A NOTE ABOUT THE BULLDOZER PROCESOR:

Overall, the Bulldozer processor you're running is comparable to an i5-2500K (4 Core processor) rather than being a 8 Core powerhouse (see THIS LINK).  If you're not familiar with this, Google AMD-8350 Lawsuit to read more about this.  What does this really mean?  Just not to expect 8 physical cores to wipe the mat with FSX. But other than expectations, many experienced guys run their i7 processors with Hyperthreading disabled to prevent a sort of backdoor, internal processor bottleneck (once a processing thread is sent to a core for number crunching, it's got to get processed by that core and at certain times may have to wait). With an i7 we can turn Hyperthreading off, but from what i understand about the Bulldozer you're stuck with AMD's version of Hyperthreading (the technical basis for the lawsuit) as you can't turn it off. 

CAVEAT:  Hyperthreading is not always a negative when one looks at things from an overall system perspective, as it really depends on what software is being run concurrently with FSX. Now, I run FSX/P3D while streaming, watching the stream (at times), having a few web pages open, the Aivilasoft EFB, VATSPY, a voice server for the group I fly with, Skype (for shared cockpit flights), Vpilot, a host of USB devices (like 8) for flight sim, and at times other things that require processing) and I'd say overall I do better with Hyperthreading turned off, but others may find the opposite.  So I suppose I'm saying.... "it depends on  your system" whether or not running with 4 logical and 4 virtual cores can give you better performance.

Finally, I can tell you that I groomed the AMD-8350 system of a guy I was flying Shared Cockpit with a lot, and his system was never able to perform at the level of my i7 system.  I believe this is a rather common occurrence (if not excepted as fact) in the flight sim world. This isn't a "mine's better than yours - I'm just not like that at all.  I'm just trying to provide you with some info if you were not already aware of it.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'm a former AMD user.

You can spend days looking for magical, esoteric tweaks but it's highly unlikely you'll ever find them. I've been there. You have to compromise--there's no other way around it. Here are the three things that helped me most:

1) Autogen: Set it to "Normal" and learn to live with it. I know this isn't good news, but it will help more than diving in and messing with your *.cfg files. In my opinion, this is the only real "tweak" that has a significant impact on an AMD CPU. FSX is optimized for Intel, that's the sad truth. I'm not knocking your hardware, though, because I lived with it myself for more than four years and enjoyed it as best I could.

2) Steve's DX 10 Fixer: It will give a little boost to your frame rates, but it will also make lower frame rates smoother and more tolerable. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this will move some of the load from your CPU to your GPU as well, so you can better utilize the beefy 1060. This might also help you bump the autogen up a notch.

3) Water effects: Set it to "Mid (1.0x)" With your graphics card the DX 10 fixer might allow you to move it back to high. This will not help as much as the two above, but if you want to squeeze every frame possible out of your hardware this will have a positive impact.

Good luck, and I hope this info helps. Hopefully some other FX users can give you additional advice. I was working with an old graphics card on my FX machine (550ti), so maybe there are some tweaks out there for your GPU that will make more of a difference.

• Upvote 1

Richard P. Kelly

Hi,

Delete your fsx.CFG and let it he tweaked by www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Then add this in your fsx.CFG:

[bufferPools]

PoolSize=0

This will increase FPS by 25-50%. This should not be causing any instability, except for some artifacting in the default planes.

Watch out with add-on manager when you install or update it. It will mess up your fsx.CFG and might give you unstable tweaks.

Turn off the internal FPS limiter. It limits your FPS, but also presses it down in general. Put it to unlimited.

You might want to turn off "Aircraft casts shadows on the ground". It is a serious FPS hitter.

Note that AI traffic is the nr.1 FPS hitter. Try without AI first and see the difference, then gradually add AI.

Also your CPU is a bit on the weak side.

I can't try all the great tips you guys have given me tonight (will work on this tomorrow), but I wanted to add about the dx10:

Flytampa Boston will not work in night mode with Dx10 preview. This is the only reason I haven't used it (or used Steve's dx10 fixer)

I'll report back tomorrow on how things went.

edit:

I should also note that I do not have a weather engine and am currently using FSX's default engine. I do want to get Active Sky a try, but was worried it would tank the FPS a lot... I've heard it can, and with my FPS already unstable, I don't want to ruin it... 

So here is my update, and what I changed:

Set texture load to 2048

Bandwith to 80

Fiber time to .11

water effects Mid

autogen Normal

I Tried with FPS set to 30, and it did improve the FPS. Set to 40.. seemed to be a bit better... but the biggest jump was setting it to unlimited with these changes.

The good is that the game has seen some of the best FPS ever. I can now get the frames up to 35 FPS.

The bad is that as I moved around the airport (KPIT), it still had moments where it tanked all the way down to 8 FPS.

This is at night, with night environment pennsylvania and my photoreal scenery on. I tried this intentionally so I could see how bad the frames get (daytime would have the night environment disabled).

Also to note, it seems to do this when I look at certain parts of the airport. Coincidentally, these buildings seem to now glitch out:

KPIT%20scenery%20error%201_zpsoblwgxci.p

KPIT%20scenery%20error%202_zpsubftlruz.p

Happy you saw some improvement. 

One thing that we haven't pointed out yet is that Boston is a little tough on frame rates due to the proximity of downtown Boston and the dock textures around the airport. I'd be interested to see how your computer and the settings you're using performs at a different, less intense airport.  Can you try a medium to large default airport (default Atlanta maybe?), and a really good freeware airport? 

Three airports I'd test frame rates at would be:

Atlanta (KATL) for which there is an EXCELLENT AFCAD update (to bring the airport up to date) here n the AVSIM library.  Atlanta is one of the Enhanced Airprots done by Microsoft, so it contains custom textures.

Philadelphia (KPHL) Default. A large International Airport with strictly default textures, and downtown Philadelphia as a back drop (but not as close as downtown Boston is to KBOS).

Philadelphia (KPHL) by SunSkyJet.  This is a very high quality freeware airport with all custom textures.  It's a terrific, high quality and VERY realistic airport. I lived in Philly when the scenery was being developed and worked with Ian of SSJ (who also lived in Philly) as I was extremely familiar with the airport.  It's very, very realistic, and if it runs well on  your rig then I'm sure you'll enjoy having it.

Since you have KBOS scenery, I'll share that one of the routes I've longed used when testing upcoming flight sim aircraft is Boston to Philadelphia (or reverse). It's roughly a 45 minute flight - just long enough to thoroughly evaluate all phases of flight, and short enough not to have a lot of time sitting cruise.  The route is also pretty scenic, and flying from Philly to Boston will take you right over JFK with a great view of Manhattan and La Guardia (KLGA).  KPHL and KBOS also offer just about every type of departure and arrival as well.

By the way, Shez also released his rendition of Richmond International Airport (KRIC).  It's a good run from either Atlanta, Philly, or Boston.

Also, if you're finding yourself a little scenery limited, you might also try a few of these excellent photo real sceneries... they run extremely well on many types of systems (tested them on over 12 different system types).  Just remember to keep photo real scenery disabled when you're not flying to/from them because they'll consume VAS if they're enabled, even if you're flying thousands of miles away from them).

Best wishes!

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Another option.

Rather then trying to INCREASE FPS, bring FSX back down to a lower but smoother setting. I have a less system then yours so I can't even get at times 30 FPS on half sync unless I reduce a LOT of sliders.

I can do that no problem. It is still enjoyable. But I have little Ai, and sparse autogen and everything else etc etc.

But what I've done is use 'only' 1024 textures - plenty acceptable to me - and locked my sim at 20 FPS with 1/3 vsync. I only have a monitor with 60 Hz so I use that setting.

Then adjust sliders so I can achieve a very constant and locked 20 FPS. And what I've discovered is that I can put more sliders to the right, including the Ai and still have a smooth - or 'smooth' sim then if I used 1/2 vsync and 30 FPS.

You could try that first and see what you think. Works for me.

Hi,

Delete your fsx.CFG and let it he tweaked by www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Then add this in your fsx.CFG:

[bufferPools]

PoolSize=0

This will increase FPS by 25-50%. This should not be causing any instability, except for some artifacting in the default planes.

Watch out with add-on manager when you install or update it. It will mess up your fsx.CFG and might give you unstable tweaks.

Turn off the internal FPS limiter. It limits your FPS, but also presses it down in general. Put it to unlimited.

You might want to turn off "Aircraft casts shadows on the ground". It is a serious FPS hitter.

Note that AI traffic is the nr.1 FPS hitter. Try without AI first and see the difference, then gradually add AI.

Also your CPU is a bit on the weak side.

www.venetubo.com/fsx.html ......... this service has been disabled

try this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150924095648/http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Another option.

Rather then trying to INCREASE FPS, bring FSX back down to a lower but smoother setting. I have a less system then yours so I can't even get at times 30 FPS on half sync unless I reduce a LOT of sliders.

I can do that no problem. It is still enjoyable. But I have little Ai, and sparse autogen and everything else etc etc.

But what I've done is use 'only' 1024 textures - plenty acceptable to me - and locked my sim at 20 FPS with 1/3 vsync. I only have a monitor with 60 Hz so I use that setting.

Then adjust sliders so I can achieve a very constant and locked 20 FPS. And what I've discovered is that I can put more sliders to the right, including the Ai and still have a smooth - or 'smooth' sim then if I used 1/2 vsync and 30 FPS.

You could try that first and see what you think. Works for me.

For me this isn't about max FPS, but a smooth flight. Which is what I wasn't getting. I just want a steady flight with the frames not jumping around so much. When it jumps from 20 down to 5 and laggy it's annoying. If it maintained 18 I'd be happy.. I just don't like the super low frames I get..

Dave:

I downloaded the scenery you mentioned and will give it a try soon! I also noticed that JFK on my system is pretty intense at times. 

Still curious if anyone knows why some of the autogen scenery at KPIT glitches like that? I can make it glitch by the way I angle the camera, but when I do that the frames drop. Doing my first full test flight now with the new settings to see how it works!