Sign in to follow this  
JRMurray

Basement Flight Simulator - on CBC News

Wish I had this set-up ...  :smile:

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Good for him! That is an impressive setup.

And I love his comment about it being relaxing.  Dead on.

More on the basement flight simulator set-up here.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Very cool, and very true about it helping you to chill out after a day of working.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Awesome. I like that he built the 747 because it was the aircraft that brought him to Canada. The 747 is special to a lot of people.

Matthew Kane

Am I missing something? Is he using default 747 gauges for his sim? I do not see any flight plans.

Surely he would plumb the IFLY747 in.... and his flying skills leave a lot to be desired IMO.  :Cuppa:

Am I missing something? Is he using default 747 gauges for his sim? I do not see any flight plans.

Surely he would plumb the IFLY747 in.... and his flying skills leave a lot to be desired IMO.  :Cuppa:

I suspect he's probably just been asked to do a quick flight for the report, so it's understandable that there's no flight route showing up on the displays. I would assume that someone who has spent that amount of time knocking up a complex flight simulator knows how to fly it properly when in 'nerd mode' on their own.

Alan Bradbury

I would assume that someone who has spent that amount of time knocking up a complex flight simulator knows how to fly it properly when in 'nerd mode' on their own

I assumed that but I could not be more wrong.

Have a look at his video flights  http://boeing747sim.com/?page_id=16

The sim is clearly all looks and no substance.

Having seen some of the other vids I see what you mean, was waiting for an 80 knots crosscheck whilst taxying it was that fast lol; the landings leave a bit to be desired too (tend to be a bit too far over to the right), but even so, it's still a pretty cool home-built sim, and if he wants to fly like that then that's cool, it's his simulator after all, so all credit to him.

Alan Bradbury

Hey everyone, Marco here, the dude with the basement 747 setup!! First thank you for all the nice comments and also the not so nice ones, but just to clarify things a bit. The idea of "how" I decided to build my sim was as follows. I have a very good buddy who built a super-meticulous 744 pit, and he spent years doing so, but once completed, there was nothing for him left to do - and now he is almost bored with it. There are times he says that he does not touch the sim for six months. I therefore decided to go another route. I wanted it to be a continuous work in progress, because to be totally honest, it is not so much the pilot\s life - nor the flying in itself that fascinates me, but the building process, the making it better and better as I go, that is what keeps me interested. And so, I do realize that to the purists out there many things in my sim are "not right" and that as Mr. Detroit says "my sim and flying skills are more looks than substance" but that is how I chose to grow, by making it better all the time, and by making my flying skills better all the time. Perhaps the biggest obstacle has been that having invested so much time and money in the fs9 platform, I am having a very hard time letting go of it, one because it looks gorgeous (highly modified) and I get very high frames rates, and one because neither P3D nor XPlane seem to really have what it takes to convince me to switch once and for all. Yes they look and feel a bit better, but not drastically better. I have installed XPlane 4 times and after only one hour I just uninstall it in frustration. P3D I have tried it 3 times and I soon after uninstalled it because the difference was not what I expected. The problem (if we want to call it so) is that my fs9 is far from stock, I have modified Orbx textures in it, together with REX, UT, custom water, meshes, trees, clouds and all, and of course 150+ custom airports, and therefore even P3D only gives me a 20% improvement at best, but only once I spend a few thousands of dollars on it. I am not an ostrich however, I do know that I will have to eventually change over, and I just recently installed the latest P3D and I am slowly building it up to a decent level, but I am honestly in no rush, my Fs9 looks pretty damn good as it is. And so I apologize if - with my flying skills and lack of proper procedures I have offended some of you purists out there, but to me a hobby is something you enjoy and gives you the freedom to do what you want - not to do it by the letter - otherwise I would have become a real pilot. Bottom line is - I love my sim and it gives me peace and it lowers my blood pressure lol!! hence I don't know what else I could ask for. I am glad for what I was able to achieve and afford - thank God for that! Peace and joy to all fellow simmers. Marco Governali. :smile:

• Upvote 3

Hey everyone, Marco here, the dude with the basement 747 setup!! First thank you for all the nice comments and also the not so nice ones, but just to clarify things a bit. The idea of "how" I decided to build my sim was as follows. I have a very good buddy who built a super-meticulous 744 pit, and he spent years doing so, but once completed, there was nothing for him left to do - and now he is almost bored with it. There are times he says that he does not touch the sim for six months. I therefore decided to go another route. I wanted it to be a continuous work in progress, because to be totally honest, it is not so much the pilot\s life - nor the flying in itself that fascinates me, but the building process, the making it better and better as I go, that is what keeps me interested. And so, I do realize that to the purists out there many things in my sim are "not right" and that as Mr. Detroit says "my sim and flying skills are more looks than substance" but that is how I chose to grow, by making it better all the time, and by making my flying skills better all the time. Perhaps the biggest obstacle has been that having invested so much time and money in the fs9 platform, I am having a very hard time letting go of it, one because it looks gorgeous (highly modified) and I get very high frames rates, and one because neither P3D nor XPlane seem to really have what it takes to convince me to switch once and for all. Yes they look and feel a bit better, but not drastically better. I have installed XPlane 4 times and after only one hour I just uninstall it in frustration. P3D I have tried it 3 times and I soon after uninstalled it because the difference was not what I expected. The problem (if we want to call it so) is that my fs9 is far from stock, I have modified Orbx textures in it, together with REX, UT, custom water, meshes, trees, clouds and all, and of course 150+ custom airports, and therefore even P3D only gives me a 20% improvement at best, but only once I spend a few thousands of dollars on it. I am not an ostrich however, I do know that I will have to eventually change over, and I just recently installed the latest P3D and I am slowly building it up to a decent level, but I am honestly in no rush, my Fs9 looks pretty damn good as it is. And so I apologize if - with my flying skills and lack of proper procedures I have offended some of you purists out there, but to me a hobby is something you enjoy and gives you the freedom to do what you want - not to do it by the letter - otherwise I would have become a real pilot. Bottom line is - I love my sim and it gives me peace and it lowers my blood pressure lol!! hence I don't know what else I could ask for. I am glad for what I was able to achieve and afford - thank God for that! Peace and joy to all fellow simmers. Marco Governali. :smile:

I couldn't agree with you more, great post and welcome to the forum! 

Awesome setup!

Yep Its true, summer is so short here. I don't touch it at all once the snow thaws now. Remember gents, this is a hobby not a career so I don't see the need to rain on someone's parade. Great job Marco, nice interview!

Gary

Yep Its true, summer is so short here. I don't touch it at all once the snow thaws now. Remember gents, this is a hobby not a career so I don't see the need to rain on someone's parade. Great job Marco, nice interview!

Gary

Thank you Gary! You know I owe much of my (hobby) achievements to you. You have been a much appreciated guiding beacon to me.Thanks for that. Your buddy Marco.