Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

XP vs Real life

Just saw this video posted - pretty cool - be play nice    :wink:

• Upvote 3

Rich Sennett

Not bad considering default scenery is used...!

One of the things I didn't like about XP 10 when I tried it was that just about everywhere looked the same. Granted, I never got into add-on scenery, but I figured that the "plausible scenery" technique would be something that I just wouldn't connect with. XP11 has come a long way in changing my mind...great video.

X-Plane wins because the fuel is free...

Duh... it's Google Earth, not real life !!! :t0117:

Pascal

That was my immediate disappointment with the video...

To me a "real life" comparison needs shots out the window of a real airplane..

• Upvote 1

Google earth is very very close to what real life is....I doubt someone would spend $$$$$ for RL video.

This comparison does work for me.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

It's GE or Bing but both are close to real. It also shows that XP11 still needs color correction, easily done with MaxxXP. Add a photoreal background and then you are close to real. I am just doing a little experiment, all of the CA coastline in photoreal, but only at ZL 16 and with the default overlay OSM data from XP. So far, this is looking great. Once I'm done I'll post some screenies.

• Upvote 1

Hans

It's GE or Bing but both are close to real. It also shows that XP11 still needs color correction, easily done with MaxxXP. Add a photoreal background and then you are close to real. I am just doing a little experiment, all of the CA coastline in photoreal, but only at ZL 16 and with the default overlay OSM data from XP. So far, this is looking great. Once I'm done I'll post some screenies.

Please do I'm a bit new to ortho and not sure how to do it also concerned about hard drive space even though I have more than one - just dont like to jam my hard drives 

Rich Sennett

It's a fun job but sometimes not as easy as it seems, the sources are kind of unpredictable in terms of output. Just switched to USGS and will try a couple of tiles again overnight. I'll keep you posted. 

Hans

It's a fun job but sometimes not as easy as it seems, the sources are kind of unpredictable in terms of output. Just switched to USGS and will try a couple of tiles again overnight. I'll keep you posted. 

Thank you my friend can always count on you  :wink: and my great friend Tofi  :dance:

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Guys, maybe the sat scenery itself can look close/ to real life, but what I mean with a "real life comparison" is literally how the world looks out the window, including lighting, haze, etc.

Just seems weird to compare sat imagery to stock scenery in XP and call one of them the "real life" view.

Whatevs' - just seems odd to me.

Something more like this (but ideally from cockpit view of course):

Edited by irrics

Guys, maybe the sat scenery itself can look close/ to real life, but what I mean with a "real life comparison" is literally how the world looks out the window, including lighting, haze, etc.

Just seems weird to compare sat imagery to stock scenery in XP and call one of them the "real life" view.

Whatevs' - just seems odd to me.

I agree. Comparisons like this with satellite imagery are great for showing the accuracy (or not) of placement in OSM-based roads and building autogen, but they minimize the differences in actual appearance between flight sims and flying over the real world.

These images are always taken under ideal clear sky conditions with no cloud shadows, and close to noon so shadows are minimized. You're not seeing the effects of different lighting colors through the day/night cycle. Which would be fine if we only flew our sims at noon with clear skies. 

For me, one of the great things about X-Plane is how each new version gets closer to showing what the world looks like in all kinds of different weather and times of day. Flying at low level I can see OSM autgen buildings casting shadows at different times of day, and lit up with varying sunlight color. Clouds cast moving shadows on the ground and open water, just like it looks in real life. When it's rainy or foggy, everything changes drastically into a softer looking world.

That's where a flight sim starts to feel real to me, and you'll never see that in a simulated fly-over on a satellite photo. 

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor