Sign in to follow this  
Holdit

Two trivial questions

1. What use do real and/or virtual pilots tend to make of the large blank display between the two FMCs (LDU?)

2. Why is the Master Caution light/button fitted at a bit of an angle so it looks as if it's about to fall off? (I know it's like that in the real world too, just wondering why.)

Hi Paul-

1- Secondary engine indications is the first answer. For the rest it depends on the airline and what option(s) they purchased. Some operators who buy the full-meal-deal will use that display to show the break temp, hydraulic pressure and quantity, and flight control deflection. Most of the time this will be used during pre-start, pushback, and taxi. Much of the time the display is blank and a great place-holder for paperwork. FYI you can control what (if anything) is able to be displayed with the options in the FMC.

2- Yes, in especially older airframes you will see those switches in various stages of "off-center-ness." I would assume PMDG modeled that to be realistic. The master caution switch light in particular get a lot of use and pilots tend to be a bit "ham-fisted" with lights like that, so they will take some abuse over time.

Happy Flying,

• Upvote 1

2. Why is the Master Caution light/button fitted at a bit of an angle so it looks as if it's about to fall off? (I know it's like that in the real world too, just wondering why.)

It's somewhat loose fitting and rotates easily so it's usually a bit off center.  I'm not an OCD type person normally but I make an exception for the master caution/warning lights.  I always find myself reaching up to straighten them out or it drives me nuts.

• Upvote 1

Thank you both...and there I was thinking there must have been some cunning psychological or ergonomic reason for it... 

Re: 1 -- A frequently asked question is why the lower DU is blanked most of the time. One major reason is it'll come to life in the event of engine failure or exceedance, and provides another visual cue that something has occurred. Engine failures in the cruise can be fairly subtle compared to losing one at V1, so it's a "pop-up" indication to supplement the other cues. We don't cover the DU even when blanked (unless it's very temporary) for this reason.

Mike Archer

1. What use do real and/or virtual pilots tend to make of the large blank display between the two FMCs (LDU?)

Ah, thought the answer was going to be that they FMCs (Flight Management Computers) were actually black boxes located under the flight deck in the bay!  The CDUs are on the flight deck where mentioned.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.