Sign in to follow this  
piperarrow41

Longer Flight Times

Anyone noticing that flight times are taking longer than planned?  A flight that would normally take 2.5 hours is now taking 3.25-3.5 hours.  My aircraft frame rates are dropping over time from 29 to 9 and I am wondering if this has something to do with it.  If I adjust maximum objects in the graphics setting screen they jump back up to 29. This is in the Challenger 300, haven't tried other aircraft.

I'm not an expert on how it works, but when your framerates go below 20, the entire simulation slows down. So yes, if your framerates are going down to 9, it's going to actually take you longer to complete a flight.

Thus, it's imperative on X-Plane to keep your framerates above that mark, whether it's by reducing object density, AA settings, shadows, or reflections.

(I think 20 is the magic number, but I could be slightly off. Pretty sure it's 20.)

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Even when I reduce everything to a minimum my aircraft FPS drop over time until I reload the scenery.  Is it a bug with XP11?  Kind of new to the Xplane. 

Yes, I remember reading that 20 frames per second is the magic number too. The sim tries to do everything it can to keep running below that, but one of the tricks it uses is to slow down real time.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Even when I reduce everything to a minimum my aircraft FPS drop over time until I reload the scenery.  Is it a bug with XP11?  Kind of new to the Xplane. 

I've heard there is indeed an active bug where FPS will reduce over time if AI is turned on. Try turning AI off, then testing it out.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I believe there is another FPS bug that has been found and acknowledged by LR....it is to do with the smoke/steam effects on aircraft, a fix will be forthcoming in the next Beta release.

Slowly the optimisation of XP11 will start to take place, and balance the features with acceptable performance.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I remember reading that 20 frames per second is the magic number too. The sim tries to do everything it can to keep running below that, but one of the tricks it uses is to slow down real time.

I think you meant to say 'above that'? ;)

BTW Isn't there a slider for compensating slow performance so times keeps running well? Can't check it right now.

I don´t think there is a slider - we used to have "enforced" minimum fps of 19 (to keep flightmodel working and time true to real time). This minimum fps was attained by automatically reducing the visibility. But most users didn´t understand the feature, so a constant "my visibility is too bad!!" crying could be heard on the fora.

There is a bug in XP11 pb5 that will slowly kill your framerate over time if running AI aircraft, and it should be cured with pb6.

Jan

And another confirmed bug is the smoke particles building up: after an hour flying, my framerate more then halved from over 40 to below 20s. I disabled everything that I could think of that could impact the framerates: from AI aircraft to reflections to flying in clear weather. CPU usage skyrocketed to 0.60.

But when I later restarted the flight in my destination airport, frame rates were up again as expected, so it was not the scenery.

The smoke would explain this behaviour 100%, and is confirmed by Ben in the developers blog. 

Pb6 will be a change maker with important fixes going in, for things that were broken broken during pb3 and pb4/pb5  :Party: .