Sign in to follow this  
caaront

MAXX FX is a must have for X-Plane 10 and 11

Disagree. It's not needed for X-Plane 11, in my opinion. They actually got the look down really well. No need to lather on a bunch of over-saturation and cartoon colours.

X-Plane 10 does need a helping hand, however I'd advise using ReShade (3.0.3 specifically). Much more powerful and most importantly; free.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

A TV can certainly show things differently than a monitor so I wouldn't expect what we see on our monitor to look the same as what he sees on his TV.

Unfortunately, a screenshot will show us all different things.   He may have the most realistic view of all of us but we won't know as we can't see his screen.

I have many hours in the air and the ground does not look like it was drawn with pastel map colors, which is exactly what the default ground looks like on a 55" 1920x1080 HDTV. It looked like a cartoon drawn with map colors, now looking down I can actually see textures on the grind.
Amen, I have no idea what it looks like on a monitor, it's been 6 years since I had a monitor.

Everyone says "Bright cartoon colors."

Mine looked like a cartoon a child had drawn with map colors because they don't have the strength to press hard on the paper, and lacked any detail.

• Upvote 1

Aaron Tirrell

A TV can certainly show things differently than a monitor so I wouldn't expect what we see on our monitor to look the same as what he sees on his TV.

Unfortunately, a screenshot will show us all different things.   He may have the most realistic view of all of us but we won't know as we can't see his screen.

Amen and amen, I have no idea what it looks like on a monitor, I have been using a TV for years now, and I imagine it does look different.

I know that on a 24" monitor I could turn AA way down, but on the huge TV I'd have steps, jaggies all over the place, so I turn AA way up, and the immersion of having a near life size VC is awesome, intead of a tiny VC out in front of me.

But default XP 11 ground textures and colors on this TV looked like very pale, lightly colored pastel map colors were used to draw and color the ground, with no details showing up, cracks in the dirt, etc...

I darkened it up a little, adjusted several things, and now when I fly over my home town the rough ground with cracks in the ground, all the little details show up.

All the little details of texture are there now, instead of lost because they were too light to be seen.

For instance, the ground was a light brown glob, with little patches of green here and there, but now the brown consists of several shades, as does the green, and the little lines-ridges, uneven surfaces in the pastures, holes, cracks, etc... can now be seen, the detail is amazing.

I am not knocking the sim, I said I am a fan now.

Previously, I thought it would be a night time flying only sim, now it is as much my go to sim as P3D, and I realize that XP 11, even 10, will be worth my time and effort.

But yes, my sim looks different than yours, on this TV, sorry some have taken offense.

Sorry for my title, for me, on my TV, it was a must, because I was ready to not spend a dime on add ons, and keep it for night flight only, not realizing it is a different beast on a monitor.

pixaled

Aaron Tirrell

i actually prefer a large monitor to a large tv, i just feel a monitor gives more detail and looks better.i used a 4k 50 inch tv and i didn't like it. i am using a 32 inch 1440p monitor and it looks better to me, it just all depends on the person. i have been using x-plane 10 alongside 11 until some of my planes work in x-plane 11. skymaxx is a good product and for anyone that doesn't have it, sound maxx is as well. i am not sure if it works in x-plane 11 though.

• Upvote 1

I will tell you this, if I fly in a window, it is maybe 27"-32" and looks a little better, but I hate having a tiny VC, it kills it for me, with many hours in the air I like to have everything large and in charge, LOL

I would love a monitor, but money is always tight for a disabled vet on a small limited budget.

Especially now, married recently, rebuilding an older mobile home, etc...

I'd love a decent sized, high res monitor, and a nice GPU.

Thanks, might give Sound Maxx a go later.

Aaron Tirrell

Soundmaxx is a must but not a lot to it meaning not a lot of sounds very repetitive and have a hard time finding areas actually playing the rural sounds always hearing the busy large airport sounds maybe its not optimized for XP11

As for Maxx Fx its nice to have also definitely gives you options that you do not have with the limited menus currently offered in XP11 - what is sorely missing is HDR brightness - that is an option in P3D that I miss - have not tried reshade in XP might have to look into that 

By the way all of my XP screenshots were made using Maxx Fx 

• Upvote 3

Rich Sennett

If you are looking for a free alternative to Maxx FX, you can also give Reshade a try. It doesn't come with a GUI, but once you get to know the most important settings in the SweetFX config, it's not that hard to get good results quickly.

The main advantage for me is that Reshade also offers Luma Sharpen, which helps tremendously when flying over lower res orthos (ZL16 or less). I added gritty details to my ZL16 orthos and in combination with Luma Sharpen this offers enough detail (although artificial to some degree) that I hardly ever feel the need for ZL17 or more, even when flying low&slow.

I did a quick comparison some time ago, here is what it looks like with just a little bit of added contrast and luma sharpen (standard scenery, though, not orthos):

Reshade Off:
scenery_reshade_offw9k8m.png

Reshade On:
scenery_reshade_onbyk99.png

• Upvote 2

If you are looking for a free alternative to Maxx FX, you can also give Reshade a try. It doesn't come with a GUI, but once you get to know the most important settings in the SweetFX config, it's not that hard to get good results quickly.

The main advantage for me is that Reshade also offers Luma Sharpen, which helps tremendously when flying over lower res orthos (ZL16 or less). I added gritty details to my ZL16 orthos and in combination with Luma Sharpen this offers enough detail (although artificial to some degree) that I hardly ever feel the need for ZL17 or more, even when flying low&slow.

I did a quick comparison some time ago, here is what it looks like with just a little bit of added contrast and luma sharpen (standard scenery, though, not orthos):

Reshade Off:

scenery_reshade_offw9k8m.png

Reshade On:

scenery_reshade_onbyk99.png

Awesome, thank you for contributing.

• Upvote 1

Aaron Tirrell