Sign in to follow this  
epicmeep89

FSX freeze but sound continues

Hi all, I have been having an issue with FSX for a little while now. Occasionally FSX will randomly freeze but the sound continues to play. When I say freeze I mean that the picture stops moving but the plane is still flying. You can still move the view around and the sound will dynamically change and when you press the hotkey to go outside the outside sounds work. So the picture stops working but the sim is still flying. Hope someone can help, thanks.  

Have you made any tweaks to the fsx.cfg?  if so try deleting it and let fsx build a new one at startup.

What are your system specs?  That might give us a clue as to your problem.

Are you running vanilla FSX or do you use any addons?

What are your CPU and GPU temperatures like?

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I had this problem a few times in FSX off-line but it does not happen any more and the reason?

Check Task Manager for 100%; if I remember correctly it was simply disc access and/or memory.

Scandisk - De-frag. etc. 4 gig. Memory capacity to avoid Page file Disc caching. Ensure Indexing is off!!

Good luck.

I sometimes get this too and I use Alt-Enter to switch windowed/full screen. Always brings everything back to full motion. I don't know why it happens (probably my low end PC) but this fixes it every time for my rig. Worth trying?

Best regards

Rupert

Are these freezes about 8 minutes long? If so, I had this problem too. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with GPU or CPU temps. Go to your FSX config folder. Go to C/users/App Data/Roaming/Microsoft//FSX/.

Now click on FSX and find the fsx CFG file in the list you see. Open the file and create a new category like this  [JOBSCHEDULER]  Now directly under this new category type the following  AffinityMask=84   Exit the CFG file and be sure to save the changes when prompted. I use 84 since that number works with my CPU. Make sure you type the entries exactly as you see them here. I haven't had a freeze in a couple of years. I don't use FSUIPC since it was causing some freezes with my PMDG aircraft. It might have been something I was doing wrong, though. There's an AffinityMask calculator online which will help pick a value that works for your setup. Hope this helps.

Pete Locascio

AffinityMask=84

AM=84 is for a core i7 with HT enabled.  The OP can try AM=14 with his core i5.

Greg

I too, get these freezes from time to time. Usually if I'm on approach in heavy weather and I've paused the sim for a few minutes to step away from it. When I come back and un-pause the sim, the freeze happens.

I checked my fsx.cfg and I have the affinity mask setting in that file.

Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

This may answer my problem of when I load the Cessna for example the aircraft comes up on the runway but the panel is frozen with the sound operating normally. When I move around the aircraft the sound changes but not the aircraft. If I use Alt/enter I can sometimes get the aircraft in flight but only external view - i don't know how and it is jerky. The brake button also does not work nor the gauges. The language in earlier replies completely baffles me with the exception of the CFG issue which I will try. FSX deluxe has been loaded from disks without any issues. I have oceans of memory but have not been able to fly for nearly a year now since moving up (perhaps I should say backwards) to Windows 10. Are there any Microsoft fixes?

@interpreter:  FSX Deluxe.  Do you have SP1 and SP2 installed as well?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: