Sign in to follow this  
sascha

It's all about the weather - GA+ASE=Magic

We have all experienced those WOW moments in flightsimming when suspension of disbelief is suddenly perfect and it all comes together. It feel as real as it gets just for this moment - we experienced it and so begins a quest for more of it which may drive some of us into lifelong obsession and an addon bill which would pay a years rent... For me it most often happens these days when puttering along in a nice little GA plane through convincing clouds. Here are some random shots I collected in the last months flying through some beautiful cloudscapes, all generated by ASE

Recently there have been some forum threads debating the merits of different weather injectors (well more threads than usual ), more often than not starting out with the ability of X11 to finally show convincing weather, comparing SkyMaxx to Xenviro and quickly going out to comparisons between XPlane vs. P3D vs FSX vs A16 + ACA, Soft Clouds, REX Overdose and whatnot.

These shots were all taken in FS9 (urghh) using the very old ASE (Active Sky Evolution). IMO the cloudscapes are pretty realistic, nicely varied with thick banks, towering comulus and fluffy fair weather clouds. ASE even delivers nice and unbroken overcast, which some weather apps seem to have problems with occasionally judging by the level of frustration of some forum contributors. And all this on a setting of only 7 cloud layers of a possible 20!

Carenado B90 King Air

0KpR2b5.png

Same but different...maybe it's an illusion but those clouds seem to be different after less than half a minute.

XGbTgKt.png

I really liked the position of the sun and moon on the flight

CvjYDwl.png

Ten minutes along I get low haze. The transition was smooth.

q7qqGXe.png

Carenado F33A Bonanza on approach for LIEO

66z8BBp.png

Same place, different perspective. 

lMR3rh9.png

Forgot where this one's at. It's the Carenado Cessna 152.

ZQ05cF3.png

EKrpD74.png

Carenado Cessna 182 RG over Key West, one of my favourite US locations.

TEQwLVZ.png

Approaching NAS KEY West in the Flight One Pilatus Porter. On this flight, weather was worse than usual for the location.

gYvqDkN.png

Another unknown... Best guess Italian coast

rkRhCoQ.png

Carenado Piper Dakota

TQjdvJj.png

Somewhere over the UK, in a Carenado Cherokee

8jx7It1.png

More night, Carenado Cessna 182Q

2feuIXa.png

zaxqnXd.png

Takin off in Austria in the Carenado Piper Seneca, my favourite twin until I bought the Dreamfleet Baron a week ago!

1dgFH9N.png

Eaglesoft Liberty (one of the nicest GA addons ever made imo). This one is flying over the UK, obviously

aTnd9Ru.png

Carenado C182Q again, over Germany

72tNVRm.png

Key West again, C182RG again, different time, different weather

TsREyAB.png

And finally, we have heavy snow in Germany for some days now. I'm enjoying it in my new Dreamfleet Beech Baron.

TYSpQO8.pngjHMSpSN.png

By the way I just switched my image management from Google to imgur. It's super comfortable so excuse me getting carried away, I can now just shovel the images in one after the other :)

CHeers,

Sascha

• Upvote 3

Nice! I always thought that FS9/FSX had better cloud depiction than P3D.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Great looking sky themes...love the immersion!

HLJAMES

More then impressive from FS9!!

Those night screens with the lights are some of the best I've seen in any sim. Wow.

Thanks for all the nice words. FS2004s colour palette works so well when applying sweetfx/enb, makes the atmosphere very immersive without much tweaking. It's only ASE, some of Maxime's sky textures mixed with another addon of which i've forgotten the author (all freeware) and my own clouds (the same set for all screenshots). Plus sweetfx contrast changes and enb bloom. That's it.

Epic FS9 shots Sascha! 

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

These are stunning!   FS9 can still be a fantastic sim to enjoy flying in.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)