Sign in to follow this  
cagrikartal

773 max landing weight to NZQN TestFlight

Don't give Emirates any ideas lol... they already send 6 A380s a day here. Next will be ZQN with the 77L

Well done

Why turn the FD's off at around 5000ft? There's nothing wrong in leaving them on is there?

Bernard Walford

I haven't watched the videos so this answer is in general: When you don't want to follow the FD you turn it off.. leave it on and you have to do what it advices.

Don't give Emirates any ideas lol... they already send 6 A380s a day here. Next will be ZQN with the 77L

Well done

6 superjumbos a day ? i dont even see that much a380 in the air in here LFBO :D

Why turn the FD's off at around 5000ft? There's nothing wrong in leaving them on is there?

Its not a high precision approach like an ils or something once you have visual and/or crossed the minima fds not necessary. otherwise you can keep them on as you feel

We might need to check the facts of that call, my friend. The RNP-AR procedures are for authorised operators only and the operators authorised procedures will determine when you can kick the FD's.

RNP-AR's I think are NPA's? And are inherently reliant on LNAV/VNAV not only for the approach but also the missed approach.

Should leave the FD's on when flying the RNP-AR's even if flying manually, that way you have lateral and vertical guidance should the need to go around happens. In this case you can follow the missed approach approved track. With the FD's off, workload is heavy in the event of the missed approach, and I don't think you'd get approval if you (as an organisation) allowed your pilots to procedurally kick the FD's at any stage during RNP/RNP-AR operations.

Brian Nellis

We might need to check the facts of that call, my friend. The RNP-AR procedures are for authorised operators only and the operators authorised procedures will determine when you can kick the FD's.

RNP-AR's I think are NPA's? And are inherently reliant on LNAV/VNAV not only for the approach but also the missed approach.

Should leave the FD's on when flying the RNP-AR's even if flying manually, that way you have lateral and vertical guidance should the need to go around happens. In this case you can follow the missed approach approved track. With the FD's off, workload is heavy in the event of the missed approach, and I don't think you'd get approval if you (as an organisation) allowed your pilots to procedurally kick the FD's at any stage during RNP/RNP-AR operations.

Hmm thanks for the correction. But wouldnt it be confuising to have fd directing otherways while you go direct via visual after minimum ?

Hi Erek

That's the point. You are not meant to shift away from the approved track. The procedure is to be flown as is... no deviation. You could fly it with automatics, or manually, but in both cases you'd be still following the track (using the FD's).

If you want to deviate, or variate the procedure, you probably would need a separate chart, with a separate approval... Which would cost a lot of money.

There are rules regarding discontinuation of a procedure in order to fly IFR "Visual", I won't pretend to know them. Maybe a pilot could help. But I doubt a IFR Visual would be an option for an RNP-AR approved operator following an RNP-AR approved approach procedure. These operators usually spend a lot of money to build them or get approval for them and want you to fly them to the letter - failure to do so could mean.........

• Upvote 1

Brian Nellis

Good video though, by the way! Nice and controlled landing. Always good to have a bit of fun.

• Upvote 1

Brian Nellis

6 superjumbos a day ? i dont even see that much a380 in the air in here LFBO :D

Sorry, I meant 5. We have 4x into Auckland, with one being the current longest flight in the world direct from DXB, and another 1x into Christchurch.

Thats still a lot of VLA for a country of only ~5mil people

• Upvote 1